Midi note to velocity

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried doing this in Reaktor, only attempting to route the note pitch of a channel info module to the velocity of another channel info to filter for another synth. It's not working how I would expect it to.
Is there a plugin that does this instead? It should just be able to apply the note value as the velocity, and work as expected...
I looked on pizmidi site and it doesn't look like it. I already have midinotesToCC, could CC be used as velocity? It has to be velocity.

Mutools MUX can do this.
There is a note to modulation module that gives the note number as modulation data. From there you can route this to anywhere in a MUX or via a parameter event generator to any VST parameter.

No, I need the velocity to act as normal, as midi.
Not sure if it's a problem with reaktor per se, but the synth I am using after it is hanging notes, like the note off never arrives. And new note ons do not respond reliably, they just get ignored or eventually work

i am work on the same problem and i found this:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fr/su ... generator/

i will try and let you know if i found the way to release it ( i work on a simple drums sequencer for external hardware and plugin)

Hey Cam,
could you use a VST to do this?
I can help you build one in FlowStone if needed.
MIDI works reliably when connection order is correct,
also complex MIDI tasks are feasible in Ruby code

So you want:

- Take notes on input, send them to output
- The velocity of notes you output equals the note number
- The note is output as input

Is that correct? I can write a VST to do this in a few minutes.

Basically:
  1. Copy the events pointer to a new buffer in processEvents()
  2. In process(), loop through the new events buffer and over-write any note-on velocity value with the value of the key associated with the event
  3. Return the events buffer to the MIDI output of the plugin
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Yeah that's it. It's to control a synth using velocity modulation as a keytrack instead.

nix808 wrote: I can help you build one in FlowStone if needed.
Thanks, I attempted to use it but I am a little put off by synthmaker for it's memory management 'strategy', and the MIDI part needs to use that :D So sure, send me a PM.

http://xhip.net/temp/key%20to%20velo.zip

Includes source-code, although my implementation of the vst interface reuses many of the same function/variable/object names, I've quite some time ago given up on maintaining compatibility with the official SDK because I'm the only one using it and also there are not going to be any more official releases, making it doubly pointless to maintain compatibility.

Also I've used some other bits of my own lib code which should be easy enough to implement for any real coder, although this is certainly not a copy-paste and compile sort of thing. I've only included the source just to make clear exactly how easy this is to do.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, let me know if it burns your house down and I'll see if I can fix my fuckups.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

It works perfectly! I knew it was easy, but I didn't know it was that easy 8)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”