Waveform maths List!?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://xoxos.net/everything_fun_about_synthesis.pdf

:)

my wording in this document is somewhat stylised and "precise," the purpose is to acclimatise the reader to academic documents.. not really fun to read :)
The point is to firmly understand that all generated and processed sounds should be thought of as a composite of
individual frequencies. Sometimes beginners like to contemplate the visual appearance of waveforms. Observing that
changing the phase relation between the frequencies will "sound the same" (pending any sudden changes in amplitude)
while producing very different "shapes" will lead to an appreciation that the visual contour should, at best, be analysed for
the continuity of individual sine frequencies, instead of other visual properties.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

alienoiz wrote:Well..xoxos..
i dont understand half of it..my knowledges are very limited, but anyway i have an idea of what you are saying..
I just wish i had knowledges to understand this fully : )

Thanks
I would recommend you revise trigonometry as a foundation before looking at sine waves and beyond. Using programs like SynthEdit are a great way to develop a practical understanding of mathematics. And you can do it if you have a passion to apply DSP of your own design. There are plenty of lectures and tutorials on YouTube for learning mathematical and engineering principals.

Unaspected wrote:Using programs like SynthEdit are a great way to develop a practical understanding of mathematics.
finally! *real tears*

in addition to the obvious "we like music, and can see why math is useful for things", rudolf steiner is noted for using music at the core (afaik) of the steiner school education program, i've been saying for ages that ought to be updated to audio dsp...

seriously, this is profoundly informative for relating theory/math to pragma/the real world.. suddenly every subsequent experience is erudition. as perception is refined over the years, by discretising harmonics, spectral activity, conception of theory is equally excited.

the last time i attempted to discuss this with an educational institution, they suggested i make a product, as there was no other feasible method to adopt policy. the products are already there, it's really "make a product that speaks to what we're willing to give attention to" which is f**k all considering the subversion of... omg different discussion.

asnyway i like what you said there and always, always, encourage parents to realise that they have to take an active role in making this meaningful.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I very much agree. Just wish I hadn't edited my sentence (which previously contained a list) and then forgot to check my grammar afterwards. Hehe.

I guess the school expected you to rewrite the curriculum - which I definitely think should be done. My formal mathematical education is little different to Alienoiz's. I didn't enjoy maths at school so I never even contemplated taking it at A Level - though I did pass my GCSEs.

It is a shame that mathematical education finishes at the age of 16 for most UK citizens. And it is mostly taught in a most abstract manner, leaving most pupils wondering if any of it is really of use.

Most of my mathematics for audio work has been self taught. Though, thankfully, it really isn't that complicated when you're not stressing yourself. Nothing works properly when you stress yourself.

Not a list per se, but something that's taught me a lot is getting intimate with all the families of waveforms and how they're generated.

One of the ways I like to think of it is.. imagine you are riding a bicycle in a lane and theres a stripe down the middle.. now trace out the path of a sinewave with your wheels.. the line is your zero crossing.

Now go through the basic shapes on your imaginary bicycle and see what they do to you as you ride.. triangle, saw, pulse, etc..

Don't just think how does a waveshape sound.. imagine what it would do to a knob.

Here's a big list of waveforms.. I think about 25,000!
Anyways just grab his free pack for now and look through the PDF manual which shows and explains a lot about the waveforms and the different families..

http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... eforms2010

Also, this guy has some stuff you might like to help get you acclimated
Unique synthesizer and Function Shaper in the freebie section

http://www.rs-met.com

Where are the gd -DAMN FORMULAS

Come ON man.

jeesus

wtf is wrong?!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”