Beta testing of X64 VST3/VST2 KX77FREE plug-ins

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kx-Modulad Kx-Polym-CSE Kx-PolyMod Kx-Synth-X16

KX-Polymod seems to work just as fine in Live, but when testing in Reaper x64 5.35, I found out something possibly interesting:

While playing notes and tweaking things from the GUI, KX SYNTH X16 emits clicks when Reaper writes VST parameter edits in it's undo history. (VST2 mode). V5 doesn't.

Now Reaper is a can of worms, and this could be caused by any of it's thousands of bugs and untested setting combinations, but it allows me to test both 32&64 side by side, and this was different between the versions.

I like the small visual tweaks to X16! First I thought the background is slightly old school, but seeing it next to V5, it looks much nicer.

.jon wrote:KX-Polymod seems to work just as fine in Live, but when testing in Reaper x64 5.35, I found out something possibly interesting:

While playing notes and tweaking things from the GUI, KX SYNTH X16 emits clicks when Reaper writes VST parameter edits in it's undo history. (VST2 mode). V5 doesn't.

Now Reaper is a can of worms, and this could be caused by any of it's thousands of bugs and untested setting combinations, but it allows me to test both 32&64 side by side, and this was different between the versions.

I like the small visual tweaks to X16! First I thought the background is slightly old school, but seeing it next to V5, it looks much nicer.
Hi,

I checked and I reproduced that you said, I tested on my web PC with ASIO4all (512 spl buffers).

To solve that I modified the VST setting to > Compatibility setting > Save minimal undo states.

The total number of parameters is around 1300 (61k) but it's the same when I save an x16 files (37k).
The x86 V5 is bridged and it doesn't use the same thread of main x64 VSTis.
Reaper uses the best x86 wrapper and the x86 releases work very well in this case.
But the new x64 release uses less CPU, up to -20% on the global structure.
I will install the x86 Reaper to verify if I can reproduce the same thing with the V5.

edit:
No, in x86 Reaper I have not the little "pop" when Reaper saves the undo state.

about the CPU use on my web computer :
Preset 25, unison 3 voices
x86 bridged: 3.8%
x86: 3.5%,
x64: 3.2%

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm little disappointed, I thought there are more users here to help me, I worked several months to do this major update.
In fact I do not understand the end users and I think that the best choice for me it's to debug my instruments only for my use.

Xavier

Hi Xavier,
i'm actually doin' tests.
In Reaper i have X16 (VST3 x64) at around 1.60% on preset 25 unison (3 voices)

a.

Hi,

I did some tests on my web computer which is not a music computer and I notified that cubase 8.5 does not like the old Intel GPU (g43/45). The plugins are loaded very slowly and I have not the problem with the other DAWs like Reaper.

Have you got a slow loading in Cubase or other DAW with Intel GPU ?

My web computer is an "old" quad Q8300 on Win10

Finally I found why the loading of the VST was too long with Cubase 8.5 on my web pc, during the tests I forgot to uninstall the Nvdia drivers, so Cubase 8.5.3 works fine with the "old" intel G43/G45 GPU.

kx77free wrote:Hi,

I'm little disappointed, I thought there are more users here to help me, I worked several months to do this major update.
In fact I do not understand the end users and I think that the best choice for me it's to debug my instruments only for my use.

Xavier
Sorry to read this. I will certainly test these as soon as I come home from vacation. I didn't bring any computer with me. Needed a complete time-off.
Could be more users that are having a easter/spring vacation around these times?

I love your synths, been using them a lot. Fantastic work. Looking forward to test the new versions.
Sorry for lack of response.

kx77free wrote:Hi,

Xavier
Sorry to read this. I will certainly test these as soon as I come home from vacation. I didn't bring any computer with me. Needed a complete time-off.
Could be more users that are having a easter/spring vacation around these times?

I love your synths, been using them a lot. Fantastic work. Looking forward to test the new versions.
Sorry for lack of response.

I missed this earlier by just loading old sequences instead of crafting new ones- the velocity and EG value controls don't work in x64 versions in Polymod CSE and X16 sequencers. The dot flashes erratically when trying to adjust (drag up/down with mouse), and the value doesn't stick, it always resets to default when I release the mouse.

Win10x64, Nvidia GTX950, same issue in both Live 9 and Reaper 5 (most recent versions of both).

@.Jon
I used the EGs and the dot knobs in Cubase in rotate mode I have not got problems but like the x86, the dot knobs are updated when the pattern change.

I will check again.

I updated the help texts and the list of bugs in the x64 zip files.

Know bugs of x64 SE 1.2355 engine:
VSTHost 1.54: multiple instances not really supported fine and some parameters are initialized with theirs default values (need to load the first preset).
VSTHost 1.56: some parameters do not work on the GUI editor (sequencer on).
Reaper:
With small Asio buffers if you experimented Reaper bugs when you reloaded a session without to close Reaper before.
To fix it > Preference > Plug-ins > VST > "Allow complete unload of VST plug-ins" (to clean all current session memory).
If you listen audio "pops" when you edit something on Reaper with Asio4All.
To fix it > FX windows > Compatibility settings > "Save minimal undo steps".
In all tested DAW:
The animated pictures (vu-meters, leds...) of your DAW may be frozen temporary when you adjust a parameter, mouse down on knob and move it (that doesn't affect the audio signal).

Installation example:
1- Unzip and copy the VST3 folder in "C:\Programs\Common files\VST3".
2- In "Users\"your account"\Documents\VST3 Presets\xavier kalensky\"KX SYNTH X16", you copy all *.vstpreset files provided with the VST3.
3- If your DAW does not support VST3, change the extension of the plugin *.vst3 by *.dll (VST2) and copy the VST2 folder in "C:\Programs\Common files\VST2".
4- Update the database of your DAW by scanning the VST3i plugins.

Note:
"Common Files" is a protected Windows system folder. Your DAW must be in Administrator mode to save the sequencer *.x16 files or your XML presets. If else you must save in your Document folder of your account or in out of protected Windows folders.

My first track 100% x64, 14 vst3 in a Cubase 8.5.3 session at 96k!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr3WD2gR8_c

@.jon
I tested again with Cubase and Reaper (VST3) but all seems right, the case you described is like when I try to adjust the dot knobs with a fast speed and then the patterns change quickly.
In this case I use the pause button or I adjust the pattern locators temporary to the same number to stay always on the same pattern.

This shows what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/G0NvESY.gifv

Both VST2 and 3 versions.

This is from the 32-bit version:

http://i.imgur.com/pc4mZR4.gifv

@.jon
Ok, I tested on my 2 computers and I cannot reproduce the bug. It seems linked to your GPU/ASIO configuration because you have got this bug on your two main DAW.

Is It appear after you load an old x16 files ?
or this bug is always here even after to load a VST3 preset or an XML preset.

The next weeks I will do another version of PolyM CSE with the last SE 1.3. So in the download I will add the possibility to choice between the actuals betas and these new releases. I risk to have some end users confused but it's really less important because the priority is the beta tests.

Xavier

Yes, the bug seems to be persistent under all scenarios, after loading sequences and presets.

Now also tested in Bitwig Studio 2, so I guess it's my system and not DAW-related. Let me know if there's any more info that could help!

@.jon
Can you modify the step state (green, orange, blue)?
These parameters use the same common memory of all sequence data. It's possible that something in GUI process blocks the recording of data, this is why the dot knobs are always to 0. Theirs states are not memorized like the other parameters, one by one, there are simply saved in the x16 files and in only one binary data string.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”