SoloRack v1.0 is here

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SoloRack

double post. removed.

Thank you very much for your efforts martin. I have tested your patch and seen the images. Here is whats happening.

You've set oversampling to X8, This can cause the triggers (that are going into the SH module) to be so short. You are routing those to your DAW using the SA12 module. And since your DAW is working at 1/8 of SoloRack's rate, the SA12 can send only 1/8 of the samples it receives to your DAW. Which means that your osciloscope will end up missing some triggers that are shorter than 8 internal samples. The SH module however still heard those triggers because internally it was working at X8 sampling rate. Thus the SH gets triggered, yet you don't see those triggers in your oscilloscope. To have a glimpse of those missed triggers, route them to the SA02 output module instead of the SA12. The oversampling filter will keep the lower frequencies of the triggers and they would appears as small bumps. Have a look here:
ExportedImage.png
Setting oversampling to none should work well. I've also checked the code of the SH module, it should be working OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote:Thank you very much for your efforts martin. I have tested your patch and seen the images. Here is whats happening.

You've set oversampling to X8, This can cause the triggers (that are going into the SH module) to be so short. You are routing those to your DAW using the SA12 module. And since your DAW is working at 1/8 of SoloRack's rate, the SA12 can send only 1/8 of the samples it receives to your DAW. Which means that your osciloscope will end up missing some triggers that are shorter than 8 internal samples. The SH module however still heard those triggers because internally it was working at X8 sampling rate. Thus the SH gets triggered, yet you don't see those triggers in your oscilloscope. To have a glimpse of those missed triggers, route them to the SA02 output module instead of the SA12. The oversampling filter will keep the lower frequencies of the triggers and they would appears as small bumps. Have a look here:
ExportedImage.png
Setting oversampling to none should work well. I've also checked the code of the SH module, it should be working OK.

Hi SOlo,

thanks for the explanation. You are right. The spurious triggers come from the fact that I use another S&H on the noise before the logic AND. This S&H just goes to zero at the same sample as the next trigger comes, and hence the AND let's this short pulse through.

This patch is a bit tricky, as without the first S&H, the triggers might be late, if the second signal for the AND opens after the intended beat. I now found a way around by inserting a low pass filter (fully opened) between the AND and the second S&H which just filters out the very short pulses.

Ideally, what I want to achieve is a probabilistic trigger filter, which lets trigger or gate
impulses pass with a certain probability. Once you finished the API, I would be happy to write such a module.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:Ideally, what I want to achieve is a probabilistic trigger filter, which lets trigger or gate
impulses pass with a certain probability. Once you finished the API, I would be happy to write such a module.
Sounds like an interesting idea.

BTW, in your patch. For the first S&H module, Did you try ANDing with the random trigger out instead of the S&H out. This way you can control the probability with the rate knob (if I understand you well). In the this case, disconnect the "clock in" from the module, and lower the rate a bit to achieve usable results.
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:
martin_l wrote:Ideally, what I want to achieve is a probabilistic trigger filter, which lets trigger or gate
Sounds like an interesting idea.

BTW, in your patch. For the first S&H module, Did you try ANDing with the random trigger out instead of the S&H out. This way you can control the probability with the rate knob (if I understand you well). In the this case, disconnect the "clock in" from the module, and lower the rate a bit to achieve usable results.
I tried this first, but it does not work this way. When one input of the AND is a gate and the other a random signal, it might happen that the output goes positive after the gate signal, leading to a delayed trigger.

However, it can be fixed by inserting a gate-to-trigger between the gate and the AND, and then adding a gate-length-processor after the and to get again a finite width of the gate signal. That works great now.

By the way, have you thought about opening a FB group where users could share patches, ideas, experiences?

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote: I tried this first, but it does not work this way. When one input of the AND is a gate and the other a random signal, it might happen that the output goes positive after the gate signal, leading to a delayed trigger.

However, it can be fixed by inserting a gate-to-trigger between the gate and the AND, and then adding a gate-length-processor after the and to get again a finite width of the gate signal. That works great now.
Hmm, I see what you mean.

martin_l wrote:By the way, have you thought about opening a FB group where users could share patches, ideas, experiences?
I should have. I don't know why I'm so lazy when it comes to social networks.
www.solostuff.net

Just a heads up that SoloRack version 1.0 (which will include new modules) is going to be released within the next few days (very soon, assuming no further complications arise). So this is your last chance to get the System B at the introductory price.

Thanks to you all for your support :tu:
www.solostuff.net

Congrats SOlo, really looking forward to the new modules.

I've used SoloRack in live situations about 10 times now and can report that it's been very stable in Bidule. Last Friday I used it extensively patching cables and maniuplating dials during a 6 hour improvised drone at Mutek in Montreal on my tablet and it worked very well on a touch screen. No crashes or weirdness and was manipulating it heavily in real time same as I would with a hardware modular. At numerous times throughout the drone, I had 6-8 SoloRacks droning in the background while I manipulated another instance on screen. Running on a i5 Acer Surface 1 clone spread out across both cores with no glitches at all other than the intended sonic ones.

Only issue I've had was with dragging in new modules by finger on a touchscreen as I couldn't continue dragging a new module to an open rack spot - they would draw in the upper left corner as usual and then disappear when dragging as I guess touch is different from a right mouse click and hold and touch would release the new module overtop an exisiting module in the top left rack corner so the new module would disappear.

Easy solution was to build up some starting patches with an open space in the upper left rack to accomodate the new modules. No problem grabbing modules and moving them around the rack after they had been placed in the open space. No problem moving cables or dials although sometimes it was hard to plug in a cable only because my finger covered the jack hole. Windows magnifier helped a bit with that, but again a slightly larger GUI and hence bigger patch points would help immensly - know that must be a huge task to implement though with all those potential patch points.

Anywho just wanted to report on how well it's been working on a touchscreen tablet - really feels and sounds like you're playing a hardware modular. Congrats again on the RC.

Jamie

URM wrote:Congrats SOlo, really looking forward to the new modules.

I've used SoloRack in live situations about 10 times now and can report that it's been very stable in Bidule. Last Friday I used it extensively patching cables and maniuplating dials during a 6 hour improvised drone at Mutek in Montreal on my tablet and it worked very well on a touch screen. No crashes or weirdness and was manipulating it heavily in real time same as I would with a hardware modular. At numerous times throughout the drone, I had 6-8 SoloRacks droning in the background while I manipulated another instance on screen. Running on a i5 Acer Surface 1 clone spread out across both cores with no glitches at all other than the intended sonic ones.
Thanks, I'm so glad that your finding it useful in a live performance :)
URM wrote:Only issue I've had was with dragging in new modules by finger on a touchscreen as I couldn't continue dragging a new module to an open rack spot - they would draw in the upper left corner as usual and then disappear when dragging as I guess touch is different from a right mouse click and hold and touch would release the new module overtop an exisiting module in the top left rack corner so the new module would disappear.
I've never tried it on a touch screen to be honest. But I'm guessing you need to find a way to block the CLICK that happens when you tap the screen to drag the module. I think the thing is that the mouse is able to move without clicking, while a touch screen always has to click before you move. That click as you said puts the modules in place, and if there are modules beneath, it will not allow it and disappear.
URM wrote:Anywho just wanted to report on how well it's been working on a touchscreen tablet - really feels and sounds like you're playing a hardware modular. Congrats again on the RC.
Thanks again :tu:
www.solostuff.net

I’m happy to announce that SoloRack v1.0 has been released including 6 new modules and more features. All the new modules are included in System B. Please download and install this latest version. As the old beta will expire after some time.

Here is the list of new features and updates:

- New Module S223 Dual Tap Comb Filter
- New Module S616 Stereo Reverb
- New Module S911 Binary Tools
- New Module S913 Pitch Transpose
- New Module S921 Quad Mixing Prolarizer
- New Module SE01 Sample Delay
- Ability to have more than 2 rows viewable on screen. Using the (viewable_rows) option in config.ini. Please read the (viewable_rows) section in the "ReadMe.txt" file for details on how to enable this.
- Advanced oversampling features. This is meant for advanced users. Read (advanced_oversampling) in the ReadMe.txt file.
- Added "Info..." menu item when right clicking on module. This will browse to the module description.
- Activation bug in some systems fixed.
- Automation bug in Studio One fixed.
- Bug fixes in delay lines that cause clips and clicks in rare occasions.
- CPU Performance improvements in some module(s).
- 60+ new presets

Hope you like :)
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:I’m happy to announce that SoloRack v1.0 has been released including 6 new modules and more features. All the new modules are included in System B. Please download and install this latest version. As the old beta will expire after some time.

Hope you like :)
:party: :clap: :tu: :wheee: :love: :harp:
many thanks!

:party: Cheers on the release of version 1.0 ! :tu:

Great!! Looking forward to testing the new modules...

Thanks guys :). Let me know if some thing is not clear or you need any help.
www.solostuff.net

Silly me, I forgot to remove that "Beta" logo from the title bar. It's fixed now. So If your bothered by that you can just download and install again.
www.solostuff.net

Return to “Modular Synthesis”