SoloRack v1.0 is here

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SoloRack

i have bought a licence too, really nice product, free of bugs, nice !
a question:
how the velocity works?
A dc offset module could be great or include in the lowpass gate, a hp do the trick- good job an the lowpassgate, a lot of caractere here-
martin_l wrote:I think a readout for the values would be really helpful. Sometimes it is difficult to dial in the values blindly, only guided by the ear.

The copy/paste is nice, but does not serve the same purpose as a readout and possibly the option to enter a numerical value.

My suggestion would be: Show the value in the readout field which otherwise displays the preset name whenever the mouse is over a control (or possibly only when it is moving the control, to avoid too much CPU overhead), and add a "enter value" field to the menu which currently has the copy and paste.
Another thing I noticed: The clock divider only has the outputs starting at "1/2n", up to "1/64n" but not a simple "1/n". A plain "1/n" would be very useful, if e.g. you want to create a 3 step or 5 step sequence. Also, 'n=7' would be a nice value for interesting rhythms. If you are concerned about panel real estate, you could drop the "1/64n" output. This could simply be achieved by using "1/32n" and "n=2". Further, you could drop the "n=4" and "n=6" on the dial, as they could be obtained from the "1/2n" and n=2,3. This would give you space to add a "1/n" and values 7 and possibly 9 on the knob.

I also have a question about the "trig" input of the oscillators. A trigger on this input seems to kick up the pitch by one octave. Is there a way to bring it back down?
+1 on that

BlackWinny wrote:My usual method: I install ALL my plugins (but it is also the case of my DAW) in a tree I have made especially for the music creation : "C:\MyHomeStudio\".

It contains these subdirectories:
"C:\MyHomeStudio\Progs\" (for the DAWS and all the things which are neither plugins neither samplesets neither documentations)
"C:\MyHomeStudio\VST\!32\" (for the 32-bit plugins)
"C:\MyHomeStudio\VST\!64\" (for the 64-bit plugins)
"C:\MyHomeStudio\VST\!samples&MIDI\" (for the samplesets and the MIDI files which are given sometimes in the samplesets)
"C:\MyHomeStudio\VST\!Docs\" (for the documentations on DSP or on hardware synths, for the ebooks about DSP, for the tutorials in videos about this or that, etc.)

That way I have NEVER the least hassle with any right of writing on any directory. Because everything here is in a tree which is t of lost in anotally self-made.

Thats an interesting way of doing things. I my self do keep large plugin data folders under one root in a separate drive other than C.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

martin_l wrote:Hi SOlo,

played a bit more with it yesterday and now bought the license. :)
Thanks martin_l :tu:
martin_l wrote: The copy/paste is nice, but does not serve the same purpose as a readout and possibly the option to enter a numerical value.

My suggestion would be: Show the value in the readout field which otherwise displays the preset name whenever the mouse is over a control (or possibly only when it is moving the control, to avoid too much CPU overhead), and add a "enter value" field to the menu which currently has the copy and paste.
I'd say 90% of people who use the values, use it to copy/paste, or read some thing from a magazine.

The idea here is to allow for human error to kick in, which can sometimes produce unexpected results. Just like what happens in hardware. It's one of the things modular guys brag about, "Happy Accidents". Sure the clinical approach has it's advantage too. But many soft synths already have that.

martin_l wrote:Good to hear that. I would have a couple of ideas, I'd like to implement. In case you need any beta testers for the API, get in touch. I'd be more than happy to help.
Sure, no problem. and thanks.

martin_l wrote:Another thing I noticed: The clock divider only has the outputs starting at "1/2n", up to "1/64n" but not a simple "1/n". A plain "1/n" would be very useful, if e.g. you want to create a 3 step or 5 step sequence. Also, 'n=7' would be a nice value for interesting rhythms. If you are concerned about panel real estate, you could drop the "1/64n" output. This could simply be achieved by using "1/32n" and "n=2". Further, you could drop the "n=4" and "n=6" on the dial, as they could be obtained from the "1/2n" and n=2,3. This would give you space to add a "1/n" and values 7 and possibly 9 on the knob.
These are truly very valid points, but If I do a 1/n, then that patch point would be doing nothing at n=1. and then I'd be loosing the 1/64 patch point which I mainly added to be able to process audio rate. Yes 1/32n with n=2 can do 1/64, but then you HAVE to put n=2, which defeats the purpose of 1/n anyway.

The 1/3, 1/5 can be achieved by feeding the divider with a double speed clock. which is easy from the LFO or the SA03 divisors (1,2,4,24 of MIDI clock speed).

Still I think you have a point somewhere, besides, that clock divider does not have CV reset (only a knob tweek will reset). I droped that idea out infavor of adding the 1/64 which is quite rare in eurorack. May be i'm regretting that now. Any way, there are many presets already done using that clock divider. So may be I'll add a more advanced clock divider latter.

Thanks for the ideas, really.
martin_l wrote:I also have a question about the "trig" input of the oscillators. A trigger on this input seems to kick up the pitch by one octave. Is there a way to bring it back down?
Yes, a negative trigger will bring it back. Thats one of the things I've never seen done in Eurorack. Infact, I don't think I've seen triggering the octave done at all.
www.solostuff.net

I want to hear the filters scream. Someone post a demo plz. THX!

S0lo wrote:
martin_l wrote: My suggestion would be: Show the value in the readout field which otherwise displays the preset name whenever the mouse is over a control (or possibly only when it is moving the control, to avoid too much CPU overhead), and add a "enter value" field to the menu which currently has the copy and paste.
I'd say 90% of people who use the values, use it to copy/paste, or read some thing from a magazine.
Not sure whether I agree here...
SOLo wrote: The idea here is to allow for human error to kick in, which can sometimes produce unexpected results. Just like what happens in hardware. It's one of the things modular guys brag about, "Happy Accidents". Sure the clinical approach has it's advantage too. But many soft synths already have that.
Well, there still would be room for "human error" as you don't have to use the numerical input...
SOLo wrote:
martin_l wrote:Another thing I noticed: The clock divider only has the outputs starting at "1/2n", up to "1/64n" but not a simple "1/n". A plain "1/n" would be very useful, if e.g. you want to create a 3 step or 5 step sequence. Also, 'n=7' would be a nice value for interesting rhythms. If you are concerned about panel real estate, you could drop the "1/64n" output. This could simply be achieved by using "1/32n" and "n=2". Further, you could drop the "n=4" and "n=6" on the dial, as they could be obtained from the "1/2n" and n=2,3. This would give you space to add a "1/n" and values 7 and possibly 9 on the knob.
These are truly very valid points, but If I do a 1/n, then that patch point would be doing nothing at n=1. and then I'd be loosing the 1/64 patch point which I mainly added to be able to process audio rate. Yes 1/32n with n=2 can do 1/64, but then you HAVE to put n=2, which defeats the purpose of 1/n anyway.

The 1/3, 1/5 can be achieved by feeding the divider with a double speed clock. which is easy from the LFO or the SA03 divisors (1,2,4,24 of MIDI clock speed).
Yes, but if you want the normal clock and 1/3, you either need two tempo sync's, or two clock divider modules.
SOLo wrote: Still I think you have a point somewhere, besides, that clock divider does not have CV reset (only a knob tweek will reset). I droped that idea out infavor of adding the 1/64 which is quite rare in eurorack. May be i'm regretting that now. Any way, there are many presets already done using that clock divider. So may be I'll add a more advanced clock divider latter.
Yes, it could be an additional variation of the clock divider. Is would probably not cost much coding effort, and you could keep the original one. Simply offer a second version, starting at 1/n with only the odd values for n.

Thanks for the ideas, really.
SOLo wrote:
martin_l wrote:I also have a question about the "trig" input of the oscillators. A trigger on this input seems to kick up the pitch by one octave. Is there a way to bring it back down?
Yes, a negative trigger will bring it back. Thats one of the things I've never seen done in Eurorack. Infact, I don't think I've seen triggering the octave done at all.
Thanks. I found it in the description.

Another quick question: What does the POS input on the ADSR do?

Thanks,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
Another quick question: What does the POS input on the ADSR do?
Thanks,
Martin
if the env is in loop mod, you can mod the speed of the env, eg,with a modWheel as source, it work well, but not limited to that use,it's what i understand, but let Solo responds....
today, i just discover the sync and Bend function, i really enjoy this synth :oops:

A little Request: the possibilty to color some modules, like cables, it could be great for find quickly some modules or some modules family or block of modules.
ps: you made a superb job with the automation system and for a modular synth i must say :clap:

Very nice synth indeed. It's great too find another real modular.
Congratulations on all your hard work, you deserve it.

Kirsty

kokotte wrote:i have bought a licence too, really nice product, free of bugs, nice !
a question:
how the velocity works?
A dc offset module could be great or include in the lowpass gate, a hp do the trick- good job an the lowpassgate, a lot of caractere here-

You can take the velocity out of the SA03. Add a VCA, Connect it to the CV in of the VCA to amplify your main ADSR, which is then connected to your main VCA (for the level).

There is a patch called "Mono PBend Velocity" in the templates folder. It shows you how to do velocity and pitch bend.

There is an offest generator, the S903.

martin_l wrote: Another quick question: What does the POS input on the ADSR do?
POS is postion, It modulates time!!, through the ADS phases, but without going back in time, so it doesn't prevent the ADSR from progressing forward. So while your in say a slow Attack, you could go to Decay, and return back, and go forward again and back.. etc
www.solostuff.net

Thanks for the explanation, SOLo.

I now encountered two things, which seem unexpected to me:

In the S&H module, is there any reason why you don't trigger the S&H from the internal clock or the 'random gate' when no external trigger is provided?

The other point is the behaviour of the delay. With 0 feedback, I don't get any delayed signal. I would have expected that the 1st delay is always un-attenuated, and the feedback level only affects how much of the delayed signal is fed back to the input. That seems to be how most other delay modules work.

Cheers,
Martin

I'm interested to try this, but I find it weird when a product is 'Looking' just like an emulation but in the words of the dev doesn't even really 'try' to emulate the actual electronics of said synth.

After explaining that the Osc's are nothing like any particular Osc's in Modular land, and then mentioning you havn't done anything to model the response of a vactrol in the LPG.... Well reading those two things just makes me wonder how different every other module is from the modules on which they were based....
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Terrafractyl wrote:I'm interested to try this, but I find it weird when a product is 'Looking' just like an emulation but in the words of the dev doesn't even really 'try' to emulate the actual electronics of said synth.

After explaining that the Osc's are nothing like any particular Osc's in Modular land, and then mentioning you havn't done anything to model the response of a vactrol in the LPG.... Well reading those two things just makes me wonder how different every other module is from the modules on which they were based....
Hi Terrafractyl,

I do see your point and was wondering the same. Here is my view on it:

The GUI looks like a Eurorack, but does not claim to be any specific brand or module. So, you can see it as a generic eurorack with simple clean modules.

Do s it sound good? Yes, it does. It can sound a bit digital, but with a bit of patching, e.g. Some low frequency noise added to the cv of the oscillator, is can sound very analog as well.

Does it compare to softube modular? No. Softube definitely has more character and sounds richer. BUT, and this is a big but, it is cheap on the CPU. With Softube you will struggle to run a full rack patch on a normal CPU without dropouts, even at big buffer sizes. With Solorack you can run at low over sampling, still sounding good, and it hardly leaves a dent. So, you can do much more complex things.

I would suggest, just download and try the demo yourself, and see whether it works for you.

Cheers,
Martin

kokotte wrote:A little Request: the possibilty to color some modules, like cables, it could be great for find quickly some modules or some modules family or block of modules.
I think it's a good idea. I may look into that latter. The priority now is for more useful modules
kokotte wrote: ps: you made a superb job with the automation system and for a modular synth i must say :clap:
Thanks, yea that part had to be done correctly. The VST standard does not directly support changing parameters/interfaces. You have to tell the DAW a fixed number of parameters (knobs). The only way to go about it is to tell the DAW a large number, and then reuse internally. I use 1000, and if it wasn't for fear of DAW compatibility issues, I would have used 5000 or 10000.
www.solostuff.net

kirsty roland wrote:Very nice synth indeed. It's great too find another real modular.
Congratulations on all your hard work, you deserve it.

Kirsty
Thanks. means allot to me coming from another developer :tu:
martin_l wrote:Thanks for the explanation, SOLo.

I now encountered two things, which seem unexpected to me:

In the S&H module, is there any reason why you don't trigger the S&H from the internal clock or the 'random gate' when no external trigger is provided?
No good reason. Good idea!!. Thanks :tu:

martin_l wrote:The other point is the behaviour of the delay. With 0 feedback, I don't get any delayed signal. I would have expected that the 1st delay is always un-attenuated, and the feedback level only affects how much of the delayed signal is fed back to the input. That seems to be how most other delay modules work.
Thats right. This module resembles more a natural echo, where even the first reflection can decay. I should have called it echo, too late now. But there is another reason, this module is meant to be as a simple building block to build your own echo/delay/flanger/chorus. Thats why it had to be small and supper cpu efficient and as simple as possible. If the first reflection was forced, then that would loose a bit of the "building block" factor. You can if you want force the first few reflection by clever patching of two delays with a VCA.

I could have added a knob to fade that first reflection, but then again simplicity/CPU. Each and every knob I add would require smoothing and internal processing and would take a small byte of CPU. This wouldn't be a problem for one or two modules. But project that to 20 delays per patch and it would start draining.
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:
This module resembles more a natural echo, where even the first reflection can decay. I should have called it echo, too late now. But there is another reason, this module is meant to be as a simple building block to build your own echo/delay/flanger/chorus. Thats why it had to be small and supper cpu efficient and as simple as possible. If the first reflection was forced, then that would loose a bit of the "building block" factor. You can if you want force the first few reflection by clever patching of two delays with a VCA.

I could have added a knob to fade that first reflection, but then again simplicity/CPU. Each and every knob I add would require smoothing and internal processing and would take a small byte of CPU. This wouldn't be a problem for one or two modules. But project that to 20 delays per patch and it would start draining.
Maybe you could add a simple delay module without feedback, which always gives just one delayed signal. Then it's up to the user to mix the feedback in through the mixer, otherwise one gets a clean single delay.

A different thing: I think I discovered a BUG....

When you use the SA12 output to the DAW and you delete the module, sometimes the buffers for these outputs are not zeroed out and the DAW keeps on sounding the last content of the buffer. This goes away when reinserting the module and connecting a cable to the corresponding output.

Otherwise everything seems very stable! :)

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Modular Synthesis”