VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

VariKusBrainZ wrote:So can we run older versions of the 3rd party add-on modules within the current VCV. All these updates by all the Devs are doing my head in trying to keep everything up to date.
At this time, the plug-in API is a moving target and each release requires some rewrite and recompile of the plug-ins. Expect this to settle down when everything goes production.

Stollmeister wrote:
CinningBao wrote:edit-- RTFM
There is a manual?
https://vcvrack.com/manual/Installing.html
There is a link to the manual on the main page https://vcvrack.com/

scook wrote:
Stollmeister wrote:
CinningBao wrote:edit-- RTFM
There is a manual?
https://vcvrack.com/manual/Installing.html
There is a link to the manual on the main page https://vcvrack.com/
Thanks! I guess we can add RTFW(ebpage) to RTFM.

Any one got any ideas on how to convert 1v/oct to Hz/V so i can send the correct signal to my yamaha synth - it works when i send a cv through a (DC coupled) audio output but the tuning is all wonky.
cheers!

You need some calibration. The only analog synths which did not use v/oct where the Korg ones. I bet you just need to adjust the level. If 1V is more than an octave, a potentiometer would do it, or you need some amplification to trim it... For the tuning you have to add a fixed voltage...

Released VCV Console today at https://vcvrack.com/ for $15 ($20 after 2017).

VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Just got this last night and I absolutely love it. Authentically easy to get lost in. Any way to route it thru JACK on Windows?

EDIT: got it working with ReaRoute in reaper, but leaving the question up for others.

nineofkings wrote:Just got this last night and I absolutely love it. Authentically easy to get lost in. Any way to route it thru JACK on Windows?

EDIT: got it working with ReaRoute in reaper, but leaving the question up for others.
How did you get it working? I've been beating my head against this wall for several days now, and still no audio comes back into Reaper.

nineofkings wrote:Just got this last night and I absolutely love it. Authentically easy to get lost in. Any way to route it thru JACK on Windows?

I use Jack exclusively in Linux. VCV Rack's Audio Interface exposes Jack, ALSA, and PulseAudio connectivity here, but that's because I rebuilt the rtaudio dependency to support all three. I think you might need to rebuild Rack's rtaudio for Windows to include Jack support, but alas, I don't know the correct syntax. If you're willing to pursue the matter, I suggest you contact Andrew Belt on the Facebook page. Or post
a general query on that page to see if anyone else has already solved the problem.

Good luck ! Jack on Linux is incredible, but I know there have been issues with it on other platforms.

Best,

dp

e-night wrote:

How did you get it working? I've been beating my head against this wall for several days now, and still no audio comes back into Reaper.
It only works for me if I start from a new Rack patch. This includes starting from a new patch and reloading a saved patch, as long as Rack is initialized first.

So the explicit series of steps is: open Reaper, set your track(s) to receive input from ReaRoute, open Rack, create a new patch, then either load the patch you want and change the audio settings to use ReaRoute or patch it up from scratch. When I follow these steps in order it works flawlessly for as long as Reaper is open.

It turns out that I'm not as clever as I thought, and following the instructions in the manual for setting up ReaRoute worked fine, except that I didn't turn on monitoring for the track, and thus couldn't hear what it was recording all along.

So now I want to figure out how to send audio out to VCV, because I see the audio interface has 8 inputs as well.

AdamWysokinski wrote:I'm aware of its possibilities. My question is what can it give to me (for designing sounds) that cannot be achieved in DAW with instruments/effects plugins and Reaktor. I can spent time learning it, but would like to know it's worth doing.
Nothing.

AdamWysokinski wrote:I'm aware of its possibilities. My question is what can it give to me (for designing sounds) that cannot be achieved in DAW with instruments/effects plugins and Reaktor. I can spent time learning it, but would like to know it's worth doing.
The sounds of the modules you use, and the ability to conceive of sounds in a way you wouldn't have due to the different workflow. On a general note, any way to wrap your mind around a new way of working will produce different results. On a specific note, boxes like the Mutable Instruments modules have distinctive and sought-after sounds that make the most sense in a modular context.

It's not just about what you could do, it's what you actually end up doing. So while you could theoretically spend a long time tweaking a virtual analog vst and a resonator and a reverb to replicate the kinds of interrelated modulated sounds that modulars lend themselves to, it's much easier and more natural to whip it up in an actual modular environment like VCV.

Tj Shredder wrote:You need some calibration. The only analog synths which did not use v/oct where the Korg ones. I bet you just need to adjust the level. If 1V is more than an octave, a potentiometer would do it, or you need some amplification to trim it... For the tuning you have to add a fixed voltage...
Cheers. Any idea how i would go about this in VCV Rack? It works nicely in Silent Way, so is there a way to recreate the auto-calibration with some modules in Rack?

Added a FAQ to the VCV Manual. Worth a read.

https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Return to “Modular Synthesis”