Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
afenceoftrees
KVRer

7 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Postby afenceoftrees; Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 am Re: VCV Rack

i enjoy the Loopus modules & all modules that have clear control schemes etc. i couldn't care less how pretty they look, but i'm also a long time Reaper user & everyone complains about it's UI as well, no matter, thanks vortico & everyone working on VCV
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

26052 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 am Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:I do wish there was a slightly more rigorous 'style guide', stuff like the Sonus Dept Looper module really looks fugly next to other modules.

I know it's easy to say stuff like this, but please consider if you were a plugin developer and were told that your work was fugly.

strictly speaking, Im not doing that, though. Its relative to the unified look we were initially seeing as in 'next to other modules' ; if the rest of VCV had that sort of stylisation, it would fit right in. But it jars because the prevalant module style look 'hardware-y'. If the imagery they chose were just on the notional 'faceplate' and the controls etc still looked 'hardware-y' it wouldnt be as much of a dissonance.
(I did buy this, by the way; I am actually a customer, its not just a random drive-by.)
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
vortico
KVRist

169 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Postby vortico; Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm Re: VCV Rack

That is true. They don't look like hardware. The future style guide will include restrictions on component size, spacing, and labeling, which will all be based on hardware guidelines.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer
afenceoftrees
KVRer

7 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Postby afenceoftrees; Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 am Re: VCV Rack

whyterabbyt wrote:
vortico wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:I do wish there was a slightly more rigorous 'style guide', stuff like the Sonus Dept Looper module really looks fugly next to other modules.

I know it's easy to say stuff like this, but please consider if you were a plugin developer and were told that your work was fugly.

strictly speaking, Im not doing that, though.

but ya did though
Daags
KVRAF

2188 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Postby Daags; Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 am Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:I know it's easy to say stuff like this, but please consider if you were a plugin developer and were told that your work was fugly.

I guess I'd suicide-by-cop ?

not sure what the problem here is ... if something is fugly, and the end-user reports it as fugly, surely a reasonable developer either writes that off as not representative of the general reception ... or investigates a little to see if others think the same, ultimately adjusting the GUI if needs be ?

stifling honest feedback by guilt tripping end-users seems counter productive to me.

:shrug:
mcbpete
KVRian

1189 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 am Re: VCV Rack

Daags wrote:not sure what the problem here is ... if something is fugly, and the end-user reports it as fugly, surely a reasonable developer either writes that off as not representative of the general reception ... or investigates a little to see if others think the same, ultimately adjusting the GUI if needs be ? stifling honest feedback by guilt tripping end-users seems counter productive to me.
Vortico isn't the one who developed those 'Loopus Modules' modules that whyterabby [absolutely definitely didn't ;)] said were 'fugly'
Daags
KVRAF

2188 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Postby Daags; Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 am Re: VCV Rack

mcbpete wrote:
Daags wrote:not sure what the problem here is ... if something is fugly, and the end-user reports it as fugly, surely a reasonable developer either writes that off as not representative of the general reception ... or investigates a little to see if others think the same, ultimately adjusting the GUI if needs be ? stifling honest feedback by guilt tripping end-users seems counter productive to me.
Vortico isn't the one who developed those 'Loopus Modules' modules that whyterabby [absolutely definitely didn't ;)] said were 'fugly'

Oh I see :hihi:

I wouldn't take it personally, Vortico. Don't catch feelings over it ...
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm Re: VCV Rack

Oh, I thought you were talking about the looper modules in the Sonus Modular plugins, which are free and look nice IMO. I didn't realize he released a commercial plugin with a different design. Giving nonconstructive feedback is 100% acceptable for commercial plugins but not for open-source ones (although constructive feedback is always fine in either case.) I do not take offense to other people's work obviously but was attempting to look over the "open-source family" of plugin developers.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

26052 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 am Re: VCV Rack

Ive done a (very!) quick reskin of the Loopus modules based on reusing/recolouring the standard VCV UI elements and some of the text from the original skin. Its not brilliant, the recolouring is crude, the sizes didnt match the original elements, which offset the positions of some things, and alignment is by eye only, but I find it a lot more consistent with the 'plain' other modules (including the free Sonus modules, ironically)

Not sure how legit it is to redistribute, if I can get clarification I'll put it somewhere like Dropbox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm Re: VCV Rack

Send it to Sonus Dept and see of he'll adopt it as the default graphics set!
Audence
KVRer

4 posts since 24 Jan, 2018

Postby Audence; Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:35 pm Re: VCV Rack

So, when launching VCV, (in Windows 10, with integrated intel graphics btw) The error message that says I need OpenGL 2.0 for it to run pops up. Only problem is, I'm on OpenGL 4.0! I dunno what to do!
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm Re: VCV Rack

What's your graphics card? Have you installed the latest drivers?
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16785 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm Re: VCV Rack

He said integrated GPU of Intel's CPU. Latest drivers or not, they support OGL 4.0.
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm Re: VCV Rack

Not necessarily. Is it HD 3000, 4000, etc? 3000 for example is known to have serious OpenGL compatibility issues on Windows 10, while it works just fine on Windows 7.
Audence
KVRer

4 posts since 24 Jan, 2018

Postby Audence; Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 am Re: VCV Rack

It is HD 4000.
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis