RADBench

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm creating a Visual Programming framework for creating multi-platform apps and Virtual Synthesizers. It runs on the browser and uses WebAudio as audio engine. It is very similar to Synthmaker and it's called RADBench.

RADBench is very much at alpha stage although it's already possible to create Virtual Synthesizers with it. I'm looking for alpha testers and users that are interested in shaping it's future.

Running on the browser means that it's very easy to publish the synths to run on iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, MacOS etc

At the moment there is no documentation and anyone interested in trying it will probably require a little help to get started but feel free to ask questions here or in the RADBench forum at forum.radbench.com .

Cool concept :)

Hi Jeff,

WebAudio seems to be well able to handle professional audio apps, it's just very new so there isn't much out there yet. Running on all platforms is a big advantage, being able to quickly turn your smartphone or tablet into an instrument just by giving it a url is quite powerful, also everything now is about sharing which web technologies are very good at. It is now even possible to compile C++ into fast WebAssembly code that runs on the browser, I find it all quite amazing.
Last edited by jorge on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interested. how can one access?

autodafe wrote:interested. how can one access?
https://radbench.com/

jorge wrote:I'm creating a Visual Programming framework for creating multi-platform apps and Virtual Synthesizers. It runs on the browser and uses WebAudio as audio engine. It is very similar to Synthmaker and it's called RADBench.

RADBench is very much at alpha stage although it's already possible to create Virtual Synthesizers with it. I'm looking for alpha testers and users that are interested in shaping it's future.

Running on the browser means that it's very easy to publish the synths to run on iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, MacOS etc

At the moment there is no documentation and anyone interested in trying it will probably require a little help to get started but feel free to ask questions here or in the RADBench forum at forum.radbench.com .
Nice project jorge! happy to see you around again! :tu:

Hi Lalo,

Great to see you still around.

As you can see I've started creating a project similar to Synthmaker but using new multi-platform web technologies.

I think I'll soon release a version 0.1, if you're interested in helping it would be great. When you helped with Synthmaker it made a huge difference as you were the first user involved with it.

I'll try to explain here where I'm going with RADBench. Because RADBench uses web technologies it makes it very easy to share schematics.

For example, imagine you have a synth ( please ignore the looks of it as I haven't worked on that yet ), when you use the url https://radbench.com/jorge/synth you see it full screen:
fullScreen.png
this can be on an iPhone, and Android device, Windows, OSX, tablets ( both iOS and Android ), linux etc. Anywhere where you can run a compatible browser. Basically it turns your device into an instrument, you can plug a Midi keyboard to it and play.

Now if you want to edit the synth ( and please note that a synth is just a specific example of a more general app ) you append '/dev' to the url e.g: https://radbench.com/jorge/synth/dev and you should see the following:
dev.png
In this case the synth is a page component. In more generic apps you have many pages inside an app component as for example in https://radbench.com/jorge/chakra3/dev:
chakra.png
You see that the chakra3 app has many pages inside an app component, you can also see that the links allow you to control the navigation of the app.

In the image above you're looking at the schematic view of the page with the animals but you could look at it in layout mode as follows:

( I'll continue in another post as there's a limit of 3 images per post )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jorge on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So here's the same page you see above in schematic mode but now in layout mode:
chakraLayout.png
Layout is quite important so I've focused on creating a very easy and quick way to edit layouts, also note that they are fully responsive.

Now back to the synth, similar to the way it was with Synthmaker, you can go inside components although now you see the full hierarchy of the components you have open:
hierarchical.png
The way you go inside a components is by clicking on the GoIn triangle at the bottom of the component you want to open:
goIn.png
You can go inside the components down to a very low javascript level. You can also write audio code using javascript which surprisingly works quite well, actually not that surprising considering javascript is not very different from C which is a low level language. I'm quite impressed with the whole WebAudio technology.

I've created other visual components to interface with external devices like controlling lights, reading encoders etc. I've also created experimental 3D WebGL components and I'm becoming very interested in Machine Learning so might also create a Library for that purpose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So maybe now you can understand that the idea is to allow apps ( Synthesisers as a specific example ) to be created in a development environment in the browser, you can then publish your project which becomes immediately available to run anywhere on someone else's device.

The version of RADBench you find at radbench.com is now old, you can try it to test the sound performance or to have an idea of what I described above. I now have a better version that is implemented in Electron.js meaning that I'll be able to provide downloadable versions for Windows, OSX and Linux at the same time as having it running on the browser, all from the same source code.

Here's how the new version is looking at the moment:
electron2.png
As you can see you now have a toolbox with libraries that you can select plus a search field.

I haven't implemented VST/AU export yet but had a quick look and I think it might be easy enough, just a question of hosting the open source chromium code, plugging the Midi messages to it and accessing the output sound buffers.

This is all very initial, would be great to have some alpha testers and people interested in collaborating and shaping the future of RADBench although it has to be the right kind of very patient person. I've also installed a forum at https://forum.radbench.com .

jorge wrote:Hi Lalo,

Great to see you still around.

As you can see I've started creating a project similar to Synthmaker but using new multi-platform web technologies.

I think I'll soon release a version 0.1, if you're interested in helping it would be great. When you helped with Synthmaker it made a huge difference as you were the first user involved with it.
Yeah nice to see you 'round again to! I'll be happy to help...even if i'm quite busy with a huge production work that will come to an end, i hope, in january and in the meantime i have to take care of my live concerts thing and teaching etc. etc....
I'll take a look at your project. As a producer i would like that the result can be exoprted as usable plugin formats for producion enviroments (VST, VST3, AU, AAX etc.). keep in touch! :party:

I totally get your repeated comparison with SynthMaker, Jorge - but not in a good way. Seems to me RADbench is less formed than SynthMaker was 10 years ago (the epic SynthMaker that *you* helped build!) It's a clear regression... Like boarding up a fully furnished house, then living in a tent in the garden instead!

Screenshot shows SynthMaker 2007: customizable, sub-dividable toolbox packed with infinitely combinative & nestable components - from basic math operators to complete DSP modules; local search engine; data types of every color; vector & image graphics; fast hierarchy navigation with dropdown 'Navigator', bookmarks & hotkeys; Vst & .exe export, etc etc etc... All you're left needing is a thousand lifetimes to scratch the surface of the possibilities!

The only differences I see in RADbench are the dubious web crossover (a colossal distraction & a sure inroad for CIA Trojan bot-worms) & your emphasis that RADbench goes beyond audio (=danger of Flowstone-style sprawl & hyper-expansion, imho).

My counter-proposal: we crowd-fund the purchase, rescue & revival of our beloved SynthMaker, so scandalously abandoned, zillions of hours of in-depth user-learning wasted, its magnificent pioneers virtually unrecognized, the forum bursting with their fantastic & ingenious industry now all-but buried in an obscure zip-archive... http://www.naiant.com/SM/index.php

Jorge, as a respected SM developer, & as an upstanding digital citizen, you could be the one to negotiate an achievable purchase price here? Remember that the availability of SynthMaker v1.0.5 on Computer Music magazine cover discs (issues 114-184) may be useful as 'leverage' (ie. the April 2007 program is effectively free already).

After its glorious rebirth, SynthMaker can be maintainted & advanced with donations & user input. A member poll can select a name-tweek to capture the exciting new spirit (SynthMaker Universal / New Horizon / Renaissance... something like that). Its elevation to revered freeware institution is virtually guaranteed.

Now that's what I call a plan! Roll on the Utopia! :-)

Hi Zoned, thanks for your interest.

2 and half years later ( time goes so fast ). Since then I've given up on web based and multi-platform and been focused on iOS/MacOS. The iPad is by far my favourite device. Since just over half a year ago, in my spare time, I've been working on yet another Visual Programming framework called VisualSwift. Although I haven't been involved with SynthMaker for a very long time ( since around 2010 ) I've been given the chance to use the name ( specially considering I own the domain ) I'm currently thinking of sticking with VisualSwift as it follows the concepts of Apple's SwiftUI and is less confusing to have a new name.

Anyway, I've just uploaded a video showing the current state of VisualSwift development: https://youtu.be/v-AViLDpZUk

I'd be very interested in your critical opinion and suggestions.

If you have a recent iPad and are interested in helping test it, you can download it through TestFlight. Here's the link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/OQwF4DyY

Return to “Modular Synthesis”