What to include in first eurorack build?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Complex function generator and some VCAs for a start
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Start small and be prepared to swap stuff in and out as you get familiar with your synth.
Just start with stuff that seems interesting to you, maybe an oscillator, a filter, a mixer a VCA and an interesting modulation source. Once you have a few modules ask yourself what you would like to do which you cannot do with what you have.

Consider how you would like to work with sound. If you want to do FM you will need to things which can oscillate at audio rates... but that could mean a dedicated oscillator and an self-oscillating filter, or a looping function generator and an oscillating filter or two looping function generators (like Maths). It all depends on what you want to achieve.

You can start with multi-function modules which give you a lot of bang for your buck, but it may be more difficult to learn how everything works together, that way. I'm glad that I started with a basic Doepfer system, because it helped me understand how everything interacts. Then when I moved on to more complex modules, I could see that they are just combinations of simpler modules behind a single panel. For example, you can start with a complex oscillator that does a lot of stuff... or you can start with a simple oscillator and add some different types of waveshapers and modulation sources. Now I have a much larger system and I have modules which cover both approaches but it's the simpler modules which really helped me learn.

These days, I really think the best possible advice is to play around with VCV and get a feel for different types of modules before buying any hardware.

I would also look at some 2HP modules, given the size of your case.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:These days, I really think the best possible advice is to play around with VCV and get a feel for different types of modules before buying any hardware.

I would also look at some 2HP modules, given the size of your case.
There is a reason why you can get these monsterbases because the system grows allways.

I´m not sure if i would spend so much money(i own a large 5u Modularsystem) again. I´m very friendly with Live and Max for cats Oscillot and with a Controller like the Vestax VCM 600 it have a lot of modular tweaking.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”