Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
GearNostalgia
KVRist

240 posts since 27 Dec, 2017

Postby GearNostalgia; Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:40 am What is the best Eurorack delay for Karplus-Strong?

Hi.

I want to do some karplus-Strong sounds on my Eurorack. I lack a fast delay now. So what module is the best delay for it? Doepfer 188 ? MakeNoise Echophon ? Something else? Don't say Mungo D0 cause it is hopeless to find.
foosnark
KVRAF

4350 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:42 am Re: What is the best Eurorack delay for Karplus-Strong?

I was gonna say D0... :hihi:

CG Products Delay1022. It was designed to do K-S and will track 1V/OCT.

If you don't care about tracking: SynthTech E580, or the 128-stage A-188, or even Disting. (You might, with some luck and some cool/awful-sounding artifacts and octave jumping, still be able to get them to track using a PLL.)

If you don't necessarily need control over the feedback path: Rings (which does let you provide the excitation signal), Elements (less detailed resonator than Rings, but built-in exciter stuff and reverb), Plaits (has a couple of simplified Elements/Rings models but no audio input), Mysteron (full of awesomely weird digital shenanigans), 2HP Pluck, etc.

Or if you do want full control in a digital module with flexible routing, ER-301 (speaking of things that are hopeless to find...)
GearNostalgia
KVRist

240 posts since 27 Dec, 2017

Postby GearNostalgia; Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 am Re: What is the best Eurorack delay for Karplus-Strong?

Thanks for the suggestions foosnark. I have looked into it and it seems more and more like very few track even half ok and ADM17 may be ok, but the company behind it seems like a horrorstory for bad support and the D0 is out of production so as it is not I am thining more about Echophone or a comb filter like rainmaker. I want it to track about two octaves so it is somewhat playable. I am also thinking that a VST might be good enough...
foosnark
KVRAF

4350 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 am Re: What is the best Eurorack delay for Karplus-Strong?

Unless a module is specifically designed for K-S, most delays get longer as CV increases, which will make the pitch go down. They also don't choose a response curve based on frequency, but whatever seems to work best for delay time control.

2HP Comb does track 1V/OCT, but I found the range of sounds disappointing overall compared to Rings, Mysteron, and even what I could get out of Disting.

Yeah, I wouldn't go with Audio Damage for Euro stuff at this point.
Radiophobic Workshop
KVRist

51 posts since 8 Sep, 2012, from Vancouver BC

Postby Radiophobic Workshop; Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 pm Re: What is the best Eurorack delay for Karplus-Strong?

DSM03 feedback is actually designed for the karplus strong effect. I don't know how well it will handle delay duties tho.

I can say from experience that the echophon does karplus strong very well.

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis