Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
alec.tron
KVRer

19 posts since 10 Sep, 2017
Heya,
due to maxing out my mediocre desktop regularly, I am looking for alternatives to run VCV Rack additionally as well occasionally.
Now I do have some spare laptops & midi/audio interfaces I could use & cascade... and I would at least like to have a start/stop sync tied to 1 master clock/daw - as is, and after initial experiements (as I am only starting out learning [Euro/VCV] rack) - it seems most promising to have a DAW on each laptop, and wait for Andrew to release the VST/AUD bridge, and use this to sync multiple instances across multiple computers.
Can anyone think of other ways to do this ?
The downside with the above is that Live only allows for 2 Installations at a time (and potentially even only 1 being actively used... would need to check the license fine print), and for the above, I would need a DAW for each laptop.

But looks like reliable start/stop sync, let alone bar-sync (in sequence/sub-sequence/loops), is a general difficulty due to midi's shortcommings and only half-hearted conventions in the audio world/devices...
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 9190b61af7
https://www.e-rm.de/multiclock

In case anyone has better ideas how to achieve this, especially cheaper ones than the multiclock or chaining 3 x single Live licenses, would be great if you could share your thoughts.

Cheers.
c.
nilhartman
KVRist

400 posts since 15 Feb, 2012, from France
Isn’t Ableton’s Link supposed to do exactly what you need? Never tested it myself though.
I believe there’s a Rack module for that.
alec.tron
KVRer

19 posts since 10 Sep, 2017
Yep, general clock timings I was able to sync via Link... but there's no start/stop/reset in Stellare's VCV Link module as far as I was able to see/make work...
Hence the attempt to find other ways to do this (as the old-school way of
Desktop-DAW midi out->laptop midi in-> VCV -> laptop audio out -> desktop audio in-> Desktop DAW audio channel
roundtrip is reliable & do-able, but not the best route latency wise...
c.

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis