Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
WXLF
KVRian

790 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Postby WXLF; Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:25 am Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/679631

I'm going to be building my first modular synthesizer. The picture above is my end goal, but my budget right now is $2,250. If you were in my position, which modules would you remove to meet the budget? It's basically the MN Shared System Plus with Pressure Points taken away and an ES-8 and Pulse Tornado added.

7U Case w/ CV Bus - $660

MATHS - $290
moDemix - $140
DPO - $599
Optomix - $215
Echophon - $399
Erbe-Verb - $489

ES-8 - $475
Tempi - $269
Wogglebug - $249
Pulse Tornado - N/A
Rene - $500
Morphagene - $529

Total: $4,827
Budget: $2,250

The DPO will be my sound source, so that is definitely in. And the Pulse Tornado has not been released yet, so that is removed automatically. As a beginner, I appreciate anyone's opinion on what they believe to be the most essential modules here. I might be able to push the budget a little bit. Thanks :tu:
foosnark
KVRAF

4350 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

The way I got into modular wasn't 100% planned this way, but worked out to three separate phases:

-- Exploration of sound sources, modulation and utilities, but keeping sequencing and effects in the computer.
-- Checking out modular sequencing and performance controls (including clock dividers, extra mixers/attenuators etc.)
-- Getting into modular and hardware FX.

It's worked out well for me. I never really intended to separate my music making from the computer, and was happy with things at each stage. At this point I have a nice hybrid where it could theoretically be standalone, or it could be tightly integrated with the DAW or anywhere in between.

So: I'd recommend starting with DPO, Maths, ModDemix and ES-8 (or other MIDI-CV solution). Maybe Optomix or LxD too. You'll have a ton to explore, and it will help you decide next steps. (More voices and/or flavors? More modulation sources, quantization? Or dive into modular sequencing and/or FX?)

Tempi might be redundant with Pulse Tornado.

Also if you want to shop around and have some patience in the hunt, and maybe are not too worried about matching faceplates, you can probably find almost all of that used. A quick search found a DPO for $490 and a Maths for $220 for instance.
vurt
addled muppet weed

36635 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

maybe leave the echo phone and erbe verb till a later date?
both are on my list, but given they generally get added to the end of the mix, i for now do that in the box, while building up the sound source/modulations/utility side of things.

so long as you get enough to make a sound and modulate it to make it interesting, then you can take your time adding the rest.
as mentioned by foosnark, you can get some good deals if you look around.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

7981 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

The really expensive modules except the DPO
WXLF
KVRian

790 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Postby WXLF; Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 pm Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

Thanks a lot for the replies

foosnark wrote:I'd recommend starting with DPO, Maths, ModDemix and ES-8 (or other MIDI-CV solution). Maybe Optomix or LxD too. You'll have a ton to explore, and it will help you decide next steps.

I added the Optomix and downgraded the ES-8 to ES-3 and it comes in right at the budget. ($2,262 usd) Thanks for the help. This was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't be too limited. But if you guys think there will be plenty to explore, then ill start with this. Looking forward to it :D

Also I have a Sub 37, so I could use the lowpass filter or have an extra voice from that. It doesn't have CV OUT like the new subsequent though, just CV IN.

vurt wrote:maybe leave the echo phone and erbe verb till a later date?
both are on my list, but given they generally get added to the end of the mix, i for now do that in the box, while building up the sound source/modulations/utility side of things.

so long as you get enough to make a sound and modulate it to make it interesting, then you can take your time adding the rest.

True, I agree!

Here will be the starter form:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/679663
foosnark
KVRAF

4350 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:07 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

I'm a big fan of experimenting with small sets of gear first and finding ways to make the most of it... I could almost suggest starting with an 0-Coast instead. You'll get plenty out of this though :)
vurt
addled muppet weed

36635 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

yeah, you learn to get the most out of each module the less you have.
im still getting to know maths after a couple of months. then as you do add more, you integrate it into the work flow.
going full system in one lump, you'd be overwhelmed and not get the best from any of it.
treat it as a journey, forget the destination. that might change as you go, you may realise you have things covered and decide to use the space for something different :)
Radiophobic Workshop
KVRist

51 posts since 8 Sep, 2012, from Vancouver BC

Postby Radiophobic Workshop; Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:24 am Re: Modular Essentials (Help removing devices)

The erbeverb is expensive, but it's amazing, and can be used as a self contained voice for some really neat things on it's own.

If you insist on the dpo, then get it, but I might caution you; I was very excited about it but found it super underwhelming.

Optomix, maths, erbeverb, DPO is my suggestion.

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis