Thinking deeply about the shortcomings of envelope generators.

Official support for: soundemote.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Architeuthis wrote:
low_low wrote:control signals need logical operators AND OR XOR NOT so you can make envelopes/lfo's with signal maths
Say more on that. I'm not familiar with this way of doing things.

BTW, the goal is to recreate the envelope of a muted electric guitar string pluck, palm mutes of various muting, which I also believe is vactrol-like.
Arent you better of doing this like a Low Pass Gate seeing as youre into Vactrols.

That way the various frequency content is effected differently than if you were just using an envelope. E.g. higher frequencies will die down faster than lower ones and with a different curve
Amazon: why not use an alternative

An interesting take on all this is the Befaco Rampage eurorack module (available at no cost in VCV rack). Two slew/A(D/R) generators with log/lin/exp knobs and wired to min/max logic via a balance knob. So you could use a slow envelope balanced low to create a long tail from the MAX output.

In analogue euro land, AND usually means the minimum of a set of signals and OR means the maximum.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Arent you better of doing this like a Low Pass Gate seeing as youre into Vactrols.
A lowpass gate is a filter controlled by a vactrol, that's just one possible applications. Another is FM, and generally controlling any parameter at audio rate. The eventual goal is to use the concept of a vactrol to prevent harsh audiorate modulation as well as plucky envelope shapes. But I've decided for the pluck envelope to use pre-calculated envelopes and not allow looping (which is a practical tradeoff for an envelope of arbitrary shape and precision).

Wish I had a LPG to study to get more ideas on how to simulate it. I have a few hints based on my experience:

1. Vactrol voltage rises slower than it falls (but if it's already high, how does that change this dynamic?)
2. #1 supports the fact that vactrols have an exponential rise.
3. Vactrols have an extreme exponential fall curve.

Edit: nevermind, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The test I need to do is to apply a triangle wave of varying voltages to see how it responds.

finally made progress on this: viewtopic.php?p=8431761#p8431761

Return to “Soundemote”