30%
30%
14%
7 or more
14%

Total votes: 109

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently many people have asked me for more bands in NyquistEq, so I thought I'd start a poll: How many bands should NyquistEq have? The tradeoff involved is: more bands give more shaping flexibility but also more graphical clutter.

When a clear pattern is visible I will make a new release of NyquistEq.

For those of you unfamiliar with NyquistEq: It is a parametric graphic equalizer, downloadable at http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/.

Cheers,
Magnus Jonsson ^ Smex

my proposition:

1) keep the 3band version as it is now as NyquistEQ LITE

2) for the *PRO* :P version, I'd suggest 5-6 band version.

just a sidenote: plugin BACKGROUND could be a bit brighter?

maybe you could add a way to hide each band curve without disablint it, and a way to change band type without using cc (gui button??).
whatever the number of band, the best in this plug in is its excellent musicality and its cpu friendliness (nw word??)!!

Keep the background black. I like black. It gives clarity when being in contrast with the bright curves.

And, as you already know, I want 5 bands. I often do

lo cut, a boost somewhere around 100hz, a cut around 200-400 hz, a boost around 1khz-2khz, a boost in the highs. :)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

too much contrast hurts eyes PLUS the freq grid could be A BIT more pronounced AND marked with 100hz, 1k and 10k. and maybe a decibel here and there. so it won't be crowded.

i second prop about adding a separate page to access the *hidden* params - it's a nobrainer in host which allows for no-gui mode, but in hosts which don't, this would be a big bonus.

(darkers wear black :P )
Last edited by mauseoleum on Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lo and Hi shelving in addition to the 3 existing bands would be cool.

Guido

It's an excellent EQ, only lacking frequency markings, at least 5 bands and a button or two for changing EQ types. OTOH, you could solve that like Voxengo plugins, CTRL+left click or something, without cluttering the extremely nice GUI. And yes, shelving type EQ would be nice, of course :D . 3bands are enough for tweaking mids, maybe you could just add low and high shelves and that's it :D .

Cheers.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hi Magnus,

As you know, I love this plug. So my vote would be not to get carried away with too many changes. I don't think that it needs to fill every need, there are after all many, many EQs available.

I like the 3 bands, you'd have to make the GUI bigger if you were to add any more. If you do add more, I don't think it should be more than 5. I also don't think it needs a new background or frequency markers. I just don't think it's that kind of plugin. That's like asking for a hardware-metaphor styled mixer in Tracktion. If you want that, go buy Samplitude or something.

One suggestion I like is having some GUI access to hidden params, especially master gain (it could just be a vertical strip off to the side or you could allow the response curve graphic to be moved up and down).

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Steve

Guido01 wrote:Lo and Hi shelving in addition to the 3 existing bands would be cool.
I vote to keep the current 3-band version, and then use the same GUI concept to create a 2-band version, simply for shelving the high and low freqs. :)

You can then chain these if you need 5 bands, but if you only need 1-2, then you can select the appropriate one, and keep cpu resources to a minimum.

Or will cpu not be a major difference between 3- and 5-band versions?

-K
http://www.plogue.com/bidule/
~ Plogue Bidule User ~

i chose 5

2 for extreme sides, 1 for middle and then 2 for opposite sides of middle (low mid and upper mid)

but whatever you decide.. please keep it as an odd amount of bands.. :P

mauseoleum wrote:too much contrast hurts eyes PLUS the freq grid could be A BIT more pronounced AND marked with 100hz, 1k and 10k. and maybe a decibel here and there. so it won't be crowded.

i second prop about adding a separate page to access the *hidden* params - it's a nobrainer in host which allows for no-gui mode, but in hosts which don't, this would be a big bonus.

(darkers wear black :P )
I agree with the above, and I vote for 6 bands (add one more peaking filter plus high and low shelves). Seems you sometimes need one more mid band for taming occasional problem frequencies in addition to the "standard" 5 bands.

This is a bit off topic, but I would pay for a version of Nyquist that allowed dragging or typing in text values for the params (hidden or visible, I don't care).

Also, I always turn off compensation on the bands, so a global compensation on/off switch on the suggested "hidden page" would be nice to make my preferences sticky.

As it is, I can instantiate Nyquist in a Live 4 template with everything adjusted as I like via native GUI, but not every host can do that as others have noted...

What I can't do, however, is remote control nyquist without "hard coding" separate cc's for each instance in my host. I would prefer to set up my external controller to match published cc's for Nyquist. That would allow me to control ANY instance just by mapping my controller to the active track. BTW, If cc control is already implemented, someone please enlighten me! :D

The quality of the EQ itself is excellent. With the basic improvements suggested, I think this plug will be much more usable as a first call EQ in many hosts that lack a high quality EQ natively.

Any news on the updated version? :)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Alright, here is a 5 band version:

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

(the picture is still of the 3 band version, but the download -is- for the 5 band version)

Shamefully, I haven't added any of the other features that people requested, even though such a long time has passed. My apologies.

Anyway, I hope that the 5 band version will fall into your liking, and I appreciate everyone's comments and voting! For those who still prefer the 3 band version, I will keep a download link for that one on site.

- Magnus Jonsson

It doesn't work in FL Studio. :cry:

FL studio crashed right after I put in the effect. is it fixable?

Return to “Smart Electronix”