Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Strum timing wavers

scarydakis
KVRer

12 posts since 19 Dec, 2016

Postby scarydakis; Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:00 am Strum timing wavers

Hi,

I have created a few strum patterns and chord banks for a song and use a midi track to control these. I've noticed that sometimes the strumming is not 'in the pocket'. The same midi pattern later in the song is different from earlier in the song. The later pattern is in the pocket while the earlier pattern is not. Being a Bass player I notice these things!

I've tried changing settings such as minimum strum time, 0 humanization etc but the issue remains. This particular song has a syncopated latin strum pattern at a slow tempo (77 BPM) and it reallys need to be in the pocket.

Has anyone noticed this? Any AGL II users got some advice to offer?

Thanks,
Steph.
Jie Chen[Ample Sound]
KVRian

653 posts since 14 Sep, 2013, from Ample Sound

Postby Jie Chen[Ample Sound]; Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:36 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi, can you send your project and exported audio to service@amplesound to help us figure out?
scarydakis
KVRer

Postby scarydakis; Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:12 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi,

Yes I will. Do you want my Cubase project?

Thanks.
Jie Chen[Ample Sound]
KVRian

Postby Jie Chen[Ample Sound]; Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:22 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Yes please. All the files which can show the problem would be helpful.
scarydakis
KVRer

Postby scarydakis; Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi,

Sorry for late reply - I've been flat out like a lizard drinking.

I have discovered that the strum timing wavers because of the way I setup my midi notes. I was creating the strums in 1 bar increments so that while editing I could simply go to the start of any bar and the timing would re-sync.

As you would know, if you start playback in the middle of a strum note, the timing is way out and would only re-sync when it hits the start of a new strum note. And if you have 16 bars of a strum note and wanted to edit say near the end of that 16 bars, you'd have to go back to the start of the strum note for it to be in sync. So this was my work-around. However this would cause general strum timing waver. It's a small amount but enough to not sit in the pocket and as I mentioned, I'm a bass player so it really annoyed me!

Perhaps it would be a good feature that if you start playback in the middle of a long strum note, it could play the strum pattern at the correct point or at least re-sync at the start of a new bar. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Steph.
scarydakis
KVRer

Postby scarydakis; Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi Again,

I need to add more as I have some observations to report.

So now that I've created long stum notes (they go for the length of a verse & chorus and stop in the bridge) the timing is solid for the first verse/chorus. However the strum timing is out in the second and third verse/chorus. As soon as there is a break or multiple strum notes, the timing seems to waver.

What's interesting is that the strum timing only goes out during real time playback or when doing a real time export in Cubase. If I do a "normal" export, the strum timing does not waver at all and is in the pocket all the time.

This may be a bug in AGLII or an issue with AGLII and Cubase. I don't know if others have noticed this issue with their DAW.

Steph.
Jie Chen[Ample Sound]
KVRian

Postby Jie Chen[Ample Sound]; Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi, although we don't know what the problem is in your machine, you may drag the strum pattern to Cubase to avoid wavering. Also, in this way you can playback in the middle of the pattern.
scarydakis
KVRer

Postby scarydakis; Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 pm Re: Strum timing wavers

Hi Jie,

I didn't think of that. I assumed it would have the same issue but I've tried it and it works great. Now converting all parts.

Thanks for the tip!

Steph.

Moderator: Ample Sound

Return to Ample Sound