Importing MIDI into Ample Sounds' ABU Riffer or Tab

Official support for: amplesound.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to bring MIDI into my ABU Riffer or Tab. Or I want to convert a .MID segment into something ABU will deal with - any ideas here? The manual says that stuff can be imported, but sadly, the manual SUCKS! and does not adequately go through the steps (step by step please) to accomplish this. There must be a way to do this that I'm missing - I can't believe it can't be done - right?!? I'm using Reaper by the way. The upright bass plugin is amazing - someone lost some motivation in creating the manual though - really....

If you already have MIDI files why do you need to have them as part of the Riffer (or Tab)?

Perhaps you are thinking you want to have a library of MIDI files that you can call on at anytime?

Since you are using Reaper, you might want to consider making a libraray of MIDI files that you can call up with any VST? I have created a directory on my drive called MIDI and inside that directory I have directories of files for bass, string, keyboard, etc MIDI files that I can import into Reaper using the Media Explorer.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Riffer has tools to add articulation easily. If i could bring in some bars of a MIDI file, make alterations in Riffer, then when I happy with the tweaks, send it back out again, it would be a good way to get the most out of the ABU rig I think. Riffer will send out MIDI snippets, why not make it a two way street - in any case, the manual, on page 50, says it can be done, so I wanted to know how to do it in Reaper and I want to build up my riff library in ABU's Riffer

I completely get this. Having some way to add Ample artics to any MIDI file is essential to optimizing MIDI for Ample insts.

My solution is to use Guitar Pro 6. I import MIDI into GP6 (or write new parts there). Pull offs, hammer ons, slides, grace notes, etc can all be written there. GP6 files can then be loaded into Ample’s tab function and played there or dragged into your DAW and all the artics and controller data work.

KHARMA wrote:My solution is to use Guitar Pro 6. I import MIDI into GP6 (or write new parts there). Pull offs, hammer ons, slides, grace notes, etc can all be written there. GP6 files can then be loaded into Ample’s tab function and played there or dragged into your DAW and all the artics and controller data work.
Ok, but this is a very roundabout method to do what the manuals say Ample can do directly.

I went home last night and found out what Bob is saying - there seems to be no way to get a Midi file into Riffer.
I created a tiny 2 measure riff in Reaper and saved it as a Midi test file.
But no matter what I tried I could not get it into the Riffer. I tried dragging it from the Reaper timeline into the Riffer, I tried dragging it from windows Explorer, I tried dragging it from Reaper's Media Explorer - none worked. Any other ideas?

I too came up with the same solution that Kharma did - using GP6, but I agree with PumaFred - there should be a way to bring the Midi file in without having to use an intermediate program.

Ample Sound, can you please help Reaper users get Midi into the Riffer?

IT IS POSSIBLE.
I was able to load some Groove Monkee Bass midi into the Riffer.
I think these files were single channel, and only the first 2 bars loaded.
I opened the Riffer and clicked "New" then dragged the files from Explorer.

I have some other Piano & Drum midi loops I had bought and they loaded. Not useful, but interesting.
I tried some other Bass Midi's I had previously made, but they didn't work.

I'll try to figure out what the difference is that makes the commercial midi loops load,
and why home made ones don't.

Boyd
ABA, ABP, ABJ, ABU, AG12, AGL, AGM, AGT, AGF, AGG, AGP
MixBus 5 - Studio One Pro 3 - SynFire Pro
Windows 10 Pro - Core i5 - 16GB RAM - Focusrite Saffire Solo - RME Babyface

The only tip from the manual: “the MIDI format must be MIDI 0 or MIDI 1, and make sure that there is only one track in the MIDI file.”

OK, I did it !!
I loaded a multi-channel midi bass track into Cubase.
It came out as Four tracks. Three midi note data and one sysex track.
The note data started on bar 3, so I selected all three midi note data tracks and dragged them to Bar 1.
I did a type 0 midi export, and when I loaded it into the Riffer, it was all good.

BTW - I did this once with the sysex track and once without it. It didn't seem to matter.

Boyd

Boydbob wrote:OK, I did it !!
I loaded a multi-channel midi bass track into Cubase.
It came out as Four tracks. Three midi note data and one sysex track.
The note data started on bar 3, so I selected all three midi note data tracks and dragged them to Bar 1.
I did a type 0 midi export, and when I loaded it into the Riffer, it was all good.

BTW - I did this once with the sysex track and once without it. It didn't seem to matter.

Boyd
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Has anyone been able to import with Reaper?

I created a 2 measure Midi file with Reaper (no choice of Midi 0 or 1 with Reaper). It only had 8 notes - no pitchbend, no sysex, nothing but 8 notes.

And no matter how I try it will not work.

Perhaps Boydbob can explain in detail what he means when he says "loaded it into the Riffer". Exactly what are you doing?

I loaded the midi file into My DAW (Mixbus) and into Ample Host.

Using Reaper 5.70
I import a midi file into reaper, or create a midi file.
You can use any length midi file, but only the first two bars will load into the Riffer.
If you have a long midi file, you will have to split it into two bar segments, and do them one at a time.

Note - THIS IS IMPORTANT
Whatever midi file or segment you want to export, those two bars MUST be at Reaper's Song Position BAR 1.

In Reaper go to File -> Export Project Midi -> Selected Track Only
I tried this with Type 0, and with Type 1. Both worked.

Dragging midi from Reaper directly into the Riffer does NOT work. It MUST be exported first.

Open an Explorer window to the exported midi clip.
You can load the midi file into Ample Host, or into an Ample Sound VSTi inside your DAW.

Open the Riffer, and Click the "New" icon at the bottom to get a blank Riffer.
Alt-Tab to bring up the explorer window. Now, R-click the midi file and drag it onto the Riffer

Boydbob

Thanks Boydbob - I have it working now.

The problem was that Reaper allows exporting to a Midi file both in the Midi editor and the arrange window. I was using export in the Midi editor. I wasn't even aware that there was another Midi export till I saw your post.

I use the SWS extensions with Reaper so the Midi export option in the arrange window was removed from the standard file menu and was only visible if you went to the Default Menu view.

Once I used the Midi export in the arrange view I was then able to bring the file into the Riffer.

Thanks again!

I came here because I was searching for the same option as BobFederer.

I think it is great that you found a way to load midis back to Riffer somehow.
But does that really work for you?
I have been playing around with Riffer for a while now, like its edit options and would like to use it for songwriting.
But how can I do that with that limitation?

What I have in mind right now is this:
When creating midis in Riffer I am limited to 8 bars. This is far too little for a whole song so I need to drag the parts from Riffer into the DAW.

Later on, most of the times quite a deal of finetuning will be needed.
Not being able to follow the different parts in Riffer and having to cut, export and reload small two bar segments back into Riffer to make changes is not an idea I l ike much.

Anyways, first of all, did I get it right. Is that how it should work? Or did I miss something?

And secondly, is this how you work or how do you go about it?

One more question:
Can Riffer be synchronized with the DAW?
Is it possible to work on a riff in Riffer and hear it in context with other tracks/instruments in the DAW?
I found out there is that metronome symbol that adapts Riffer to the DAW's tempo.
But how can DAW and Riffer play simultaniously with the same starting point?
I read something like add a#6 or a#8 to the DAWs piano roll as cue but that didn't do anything for me.

Thanks
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

The A#6 (A#8 in Cakewalk) with high velocity (64 - 127) toggle Riffer play.

Return to “Ample Sound”