Trying Demo: A Few Questions

Official support for: wolfgangpalm.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm enjoying the demo very much, and am considering a purchase, but I have a few questions I hope can be addressed:

1. Several presets generate a crackling sound that (when played a certain way) crackle constantly. The CPU registers low usage, but the sound crackles - almost like the CPU is on the edge. Levels are good, so it's not that. When I play staccato it is minimal, but if I hold the notes and play (or sustain) the cracking sound is constant. Is this a bug, or due to demo restrictions?

2. Is there a way to set global volume levels? Almost every preset pushes well into the red, and I'm having to take the volume down for pretty much all of them (which becomes rather tedious).
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

MickGael wrote:I'm enjoying the demo very much, and am considering a purchase, but I have a few questions I hope can be addressed:

1. Several presets generate a crackling sound that (when played a certain way) crackle constantly. The CPU registers low usage, but the sound crackles - almost like the CPU is on the edge. Levels are good, so it's not that. When I play staccato it is minimal, but if I hold the notes and play (or sustain) the cracking sound is constant. Is this a bug, or due to demo restrictions?

2. Is there a way to set global volume levels? Almost every preset pushes well into the red, and I'm having to take the volume down for pretty much all of them (which becomes rather tedious).
Can you post the Name from the Sound you mean.

You can also take a look at the Filtersection. Here is a "Drive" parameter. You can turn off the times.

At the "Delaysection" there is a Master Volum Slider.

MickGael wrote:Is this a bug, or due to demo restrictions?
Definitely not a demo restriction. The demo doesn't change the sound at all.

Could you please provide more details?
Specifically,
  • machine (processor and speed)
  • Windows or Mac
  • 32 or 64 bit
  • host
  • which program in which bank caused the problem?
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

Ok i am going to try out the demo. *edit* nvm found out you can unsubscribe if need be.
:borg:

Hi Folks,

Scott Solida bank, the preset celled Wave Keys does this (though there are others). The Drive filter is NOT used.

Windows 7 SP 1 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2 GHz
16 GB RAM
RME Multiface
Driver v 3.38

Experiencing the problem both in Cubase 7.5 (64-bit) and MiniHost. Let me know if you need me to test in Cubase 7 or 6.5.

Let me know if you still need me to generate an audio sample.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

Hmmm. Doesn't happen here (mellow sound, no crackling). I've used a machine with lower specs (Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GHz), so it shouldn't be a problem. I used Cubase 7.0.6 (64bit) for my tests; you might try that, too, if you still got it installed. If that doesn't make a difference, then yes, a little audio example would be great.

I think I've figured out the problem:

When the latency on my RME Multiface is set to the lowest setting (32 samples - my default every time I track) the crackling appears in Cubase 6.6, 7 and 7.5. It only appears when recording and on MIDI playback. It does not appear when rendering or exporting the sound.

The CPU usage is still very low (and at 16GB I have more than enough RAM), so I'm not sure where the problem lies: the driver, the host or the instrument). I can say that this is the only VSTi I have on my PC that does this.

No problems with the sound.

PietW. wrote:No problems with the sound.
Trying to understand: are you not experiencing problems at lowest latency? RME driver? It's so bad on several sounds here it quickly becomes unplayable.

I need more than 7 days. It's taking more than one day to get my head around all the operations. ;) Really glad this came to VST. Now back to my rush demo session. Gah, why does a career have to get in the way of such fun? Ah,..now I begin to see -why- launched on a tablet. ;) Beautiful sound from these tables.

It does sound great and is a lot of fun. I hope I can get the issue I am having resolved before my demo ends. After that point, I won't be able to help troubleshoot - and if the problem is not resolved, it would be foolish to buy it.

Hi Mick,

Recorded a brief bit with the patch you described giving you issues. My own ASIO buffer is set to 64 just now and I do not hear the anomolies in the sound you describe upon recording/playback. I use an MOTU UltraLiteMk3 here (in USB mode currently). Using this on a Win7HP w/ i7 2.4GHz CPU. Also my host is Ableton Live 9.1

Hmmm, I could reproduce that on my machine, with Cubase and my VSTHost, and with buffer sizes <= 128 (it's not a terribly fast machine, after all, so your results may differ).

It's, however, NOT audible in a recording of the same session, so it's not a problem in the PlugIn audio generation itself. Whether it's an ASIO problem or spurious CPU spikes in the PlugIn, I can't tell yet. I'll investigate... presumably CPU spikes (i.e., increase your buffer size to 128 or more and try again).

Thanks, folks. Odd. At least it does not happen with every sound, though it happens with more than a few.

The problem goes away with a higher buffer. Seems to be present only at the lowest latency (32 samples).

Hi guys,

Anyone know of a shortcut to delete a path point in the Grid without having to click on the DELETE button everytime? I would like to quickly test different paths somehow. I know there is a BROWSE function but I want to hear and test different custom paths while my sequence is running. Any tips from pros? Maybe I am dumb and missed some shortcut in the manual?

So damned cool to be able to map waves diagonally in the grid! I've never heard sounds like are coming out of this thing now, except from perhaps a big modular :)

Also,..Any kind of quick step transpose for the Arptor sequencer?

Another question: When I modulate Wave Grid path using O3 in Sub mode, what is the waveshape that will be used if I also modulate for instance its own wave position with another modulator source? Is the Sub Osc shape fixed or will it use the table as well, like if it was not a Sub Osc? Thanks

Return to “Wolfgang Palm”