Allan Morrow Symphony - Uplifting Trance template for Logic Pro 9

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My pal Allan has just released this template via my website

https://soundcloud.com/bluffmunkey/alla ... e-template

This template will give you an in depth view on how a pro sounding trance track is put together, how the layers are Eq'ed, the different effects that are used and also an insight into how melodies are put together along with the other elements such as pads, acid line etc.

With over 60 channels ranging from bass lines to glitchy effects this template will really give you a great starting point on how to make your own trance tracks.

This template will also show you the way that different channels have been bussed together into groups along with different FX busses to keep your projects tidy and your workflow much easier. Along with the automation on the separate channels.

Included in the template:

Full Logic Pro project file
All midi files
All Audio Files
All the Synth presets
3rd party software synths used:

Sylenth1 (v 2.21)
Vanguard (v 1.6.3) (Channels are bounced down to Audio with original channels still in place)

***All of the other plugins and effects used are built in logic plugins***

We've had the template tested in Logic X and it works just fine as long as Sylenth has been properly bridged. Just be aware it was created in Logic 9 though so once open it needs to be re-saved in Logic X

It can be purchased from my website at £25.00

http://bluffmunkey.co.uk/?page_id=339

a couple of things let this down for me, but otherwise i think it's a great idea

are you planning for others ??

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:a couple of things let this down for me, but otherwise i think it's a great idea

I'm open to suggestions as to what lets it down for you.

The templates are a fairly new venture for us so feedback good or bad is welcome :)

I'm just about to buy Live 9 so there are options to do templates for that as well. I mainly use Cubase but I'm not convinced there is much of a market for dance templates with Cubase.

tehlord wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:a couple of things let this down for me, but otherwise i think it's a great idea

The templates are a fairly new venture for us so feedback good or bad is welcome :)

I'm just about to buy Live 9 so there are options to do templates for that as well. I mainly use Cubase but I'm not convinced there is much of a market for dance templates with Cubase.
my main gripe is that it relies on external synths. rather than bouncing down audio, it would be good for replacement parts to have been created in es2, for example. as it is, it seem that it was just a track that the producer decided could be given out to people as an afterthought, rather than it being designed with a tutorial in mind. there's no real issue in that, but it would be a shame to miss out on the real tutorial opportunity.

maybe i misunderstood, and there is much more of a tutorial element to it. i can see the benefit in looking over a template, but i wouldn't pay that kind of price to do so. what WOULD justify the asking price, and make better use of the opportunity, would be for it use the tutorial aspect as the foundation. what was the starting point for the composition ?? why are certain decisions being made ?? why is this done ?? or that ?? It's more work, but it would better justify the asking price, and offer a much better insight

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
tehlord wrote:

my main gripe is that it relies on external synths. rather than bouncing down audio, it would be good for replacement parts to have been created in es2, for example. as it is, it seem that it was just a track that the producer decided could be given out to people as an afterthought, rather than it being designed with a tutorial in mind. there's no real issue in that, but it would be a shame to miss out on the real tutorial opportunity.

maybe i misunderstood, and there is much more of a tutorial element to it. i can see the benefit in looking over a template, but i wouldn't pay that kind of price to do so. what WOULD justify the asking price, and make better use of the opportunity, would be for it use the tutorial aspect as the foundation. what was the starting point for the composition ?? why are certain decisions being made ?? why is this done ?? or that ?? It's more work, but it would better justify the asking price, and offer a much better insight

These are all valid points that I partially agree with.

We actually looked at the competition and the pricepoint was set in accordance to what's already out there.

It's a difficult decision as to whether you use any external plugins or not but in the case of Sylenth it's fairly ubiquitous within this genre which is why it was decided not to render those parts to audio as well. Having used ES2 and having programmed a LOT of Sylenth banks I know that Sylenth still rules 'that' sound.

There is a possibility of expanding the template in the future into something more educational but it'd be taking a significant step up in terms of cost. Probably double for a package that included the template and 1-2 hours of instructional video and you could argue that there are so many free tutorial videos on Youtube now that it's a bit of a moot point. Saying that however, I do see the value in having explanations for specific decisions about a project that's open in front of you as you're watching it.

Appreciate the opinions :)

tehlord wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
tehlord wrote:

These are all valid points that I partially agree with.

We actually looked at the competition and the pricepoint was set in accordance to what's already out there.

It's a difficult decision as to whether you use any external plugins or not but in the case of Sylenth it's fairly ubiquitous within this genre which is why it was decided not to render those parts to audio as well. Having used ES2 and having programmed a LOT of Sylenth banks I know that Sylenth still rules 'that' sound.

There is a possibility of expanding the template in the future into something more educational but it'd be taking a significant step up in terms of cost. Probably double for a package that included the template and 1-2 hours of instructional video and you could argue that there are so many free tutorial videos on Youtube now that it's a bit of a moot point. Saying that however, I do see the value in having explanations for specific decisions about a project that's open in front of you as you're watching it.

Appreciate the opinions :)
i see your competition as macprovideo and groove3, who offer a lot more for a lot less. even at the full price of $40, the tutorial linked below offers 7 hours of ground-up learning, with all project files included. not sure, how you get £50 for 1-2 hours

http://www.groove3.com/str/Producing-ED ... Pro-X.html

if the aim is for people to learn, then it's good to have people teaching. really, the audio/project files are a helpful adjunct, but not essential to the tutorial

also, by way of value comparison, one of my favourite artists - trifonic, has a 'producer' issue of one of his albums. while it does not come with the logic project, it does include all album track stems, a soundbanck of presets from the album, and tutorials about the production process. all this, including the complete album, for less than you are pitching

http://www.trifonic.com/store-2/#!/174334

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JGG3UulifE

as for using 3rd party stuff ?? it's not a huge deal, but it does seem to be in service of the track first, with the learning aspect as an afterthought.

anyway, i am not looking to bring this down. if people buy it, then they buy it. it could be argued that i am not your intended market anyway and, while that is true, better apparent value might have encouraged me to take a punt on learning some skills that could transfer to any genre

I've bought a Groove 3 pass probably 4-5 times in the last few years. Usually when they have several new videos up on new plugins that I want to learn as quickly as possible. I'm a big fan of their stuff.

That EDM video is however, appalling. I don't see that as anything comparable to somebody that makes these kinds of track solely. It's a 90s rompler workstation version of that sound.

The Trifonic package is very good value.

The price was set based on two other companies doing broadly comparable products (one of which I was asked to work with but declined) and the other who I'm working on supplying content to now. I also work with another guy who ran a video tutorial company for several years (well known to this forum) and his template products (with 3 hours of video) had no problems selling at £75 for 2 years or more.

I think there are lots of people offering many different forms of template/tutorial all at varying pricepoints, but if I thought this was too expensive then I simply wouldn't have sold it via my website.

I don't see your comments as negative though, I genuinely appreciate all feedback good or bad as it's often hard to glean elsewhere.

tehlord wrote:I've bought a Groove 3 pass probably 4-5 times in the last few years. Usually when they have several new videos up on new plugins that I want to learn as quickly as possible. I'm a big fan of their stuff.

That EDM video is however, appalling. I don't see that as anything comparable to somebody that makes these kinds of track solely. It's a 90s rompler workstation version of that sound.

The Trifonic package is very good value.

The price was set based on two other companies doing broadly comparable products (one of which I was asked to work with but declined) and the other who I'm working on supplying content to now. I also work with another guy who ran a video tutorial company for several years (well known to this forum) and his template products (with 3 hours of video) had no problems selling at £75 for 2 years or more.

I think there are lots of people offering many different forms of template/tutorial all at varying pricepoints, but if I thought this was too expensive then I simply wouldn't have sold it via my website.

I don't see your comments as negative though, I genuinely appreciate all feedback good or bad as it's often hard to glean elsewhere.
while i agree that the standard of composition is lower for that groove3 tutorial, i would argue that it would teach a whole lot more. maybe not for someone just looking for some 'pro' tips. anyway, the reason the g3 tutorial is not in the same league is not because it's cheap, nor because it's released through g3. it just has a different aim. macprovideo have started releasing tutorials tied to specific artists, that seem to be more genre-specific, and a higher compositional standard. it's not that a high premium goes with the territory.

as for the tutorial side, it needn't be a lavish production. doesn't even need to be video. a well thought out pdf walkthrough, perhaps; audio commentary, even better. otherwise, it just feels like such a missed opportunity. maybe i misunderstand the intention. maybe, you aren't looking to teach people how to fish, but just want to give them some fish to eat i.e here's a template that you can just add you parts to, as opposed to giving info about certain mixing choices, so the skills are transferrable

anyway, like i said, i am not your target audience. i am also much more into the idea of selling to more for less. value is also a personal thing .either way, i should probably wish you well and be on my way :)

Return to “Soundware”