A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MadGav wrote:
blacktomcat666 wrote:I have to add a further chunk which includes note data. That's not difficult,I have to find out the correct pitch settings and which chunk type can be used. Unfortunately I can't continue programming until tuesday, but I put your suggestion on top of the (very long) list.
The root note is defined by a couple of fields in the smpl chunk which you already support for the loop. This WAVE spec describes it, one DWORD for the MIDI note and a further DWORD as a fraction of a semitone above that. The values I needed to match tuning with the VAZ oscillators was:
MIDI Unity Note = 65
MIDI Pitch Fraction = 0.766 (3289944948 or 0xC4189374)

There is *also* an inst chunk mentioned in that spec (which VAZ doesn't support btw) defining another way to specify MIDI note and also some sample mapping parameters. I suppose some software will require this in addition to the smpl chunk.

Martin
I changed the values in the chunk (old values were MIDI Unity Note = 53, MIDI Pitch Fraction = 0xC6000000).

New link: http://home.arcor.de/blacktomcat666/Komplex-Term.zip

Please tell me if this works better (or not).

I have some old files with the extension .wtb. I'm sure these are wavetable banks. There's also a .dat file that I believe goes with it. Searching on the net hasn't brought me much luck, but can this load .wtb files? I'd love to be able to turn them into something I can use in Z3ta. Thanks.

blacktomcat666 wrote:Please tell me if this works better (or not).
Perfect, many thanks!

Martin

osiris wrote:I have some old files with the extension .wtb. I'm sure these are wavetable banks. There's also a .dat file that I believe goes with it. Searching on the net hasn't brought me much luck, but can this load .wtb files? I'd love to be able to turn them into something I can use in Z3ta. Thanks.
At the moment Komplex - Term can analyze wave files (16/32 bit, mono/stereo, 44,1 kHz, ~0,8s - 60s) and read Komplexer - .WT - files, which consist of 33x64 bipolar amplitude values for the internal additive synth.

In fact Komplexer doesn't have true wavetables but an additive sinewave synthesizer with 33 parameter sets and realtime blending between them. It's more like a Kawai K5000 than a Wave or Microwave. And that's the reason why I call rendering wavetables for other synths only "by-product" - it's possible, but it's got some limitations (only 33 editable entries in the wavetable, sinewave synthesis only...). Your wavetables would sound (very) different after using K-Term and that wouldn't be very useful, I think.

MadGav wrote:The root note is defined by a couple of fields in the smpl chunk which you already support for the loop. This WAVE spec describes it, one DWORD for the MIDI note and a further DWORD as a fraction of a semitone above that. The values I needed to match tuning with the VAZ oscillators was:
MIDI Unity Note = 65
MIDI Pitch Fraction = 0.766 (3289944948 or 0xC4189374)
I wonder why VAZ doesn't do this automatically? Since the loop length is known and it probably can be assumed that each loop is a single-cycle waveform. The pitch should then follow directly, shouldn't it? It most likely will not be at an exact note frequency, either.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

osiris wrote:I have some old files with the extension .wtb. I'm sure these are wavetable banks. There's also a .dat file that I believe goes with it. Searching on the net hasn't brought me much luck, but can this load .wtb files? I'd love to be able to turn them into something I can use in Z3ta. Thanks.
I think your Files are Transients for the PPG Waveterm.

It's possible, but they're not labeled that way. I have to look at the exact names. I think one was from the SQ80, but there's another name in front of it also, like Analog/SQ80.

It's also possible that these .wtb - files are for the Waldorf Wave. Here's a description:

http://waldorf.electro-music.com/wave/s ... swaves.txt

poonna wrote:I wonder why VAZ doesn't do this automatically? Since the loop length is known and it probably can be assumed that each loop is a single-cycle waveform. The pitch should then follow directly, shouldn't it? It most likely will not be at an exact note frequency, either.
This requires thinking back a *few* years, but... this assumption doesn't follow for non-wavetable samples which commonly have loops longer than a single cycle. Also when I developed this I was editing samples with Sound Forge which makes setting a root note straightforward. Given the root note is an unavoidable part of the wave spec if setting a loop I'm quite surprised other editors don't allow access to it...!

Martin

Take a look at this. It could be that it Waveterm B (WTB) or Waveterm A (wta)
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/synt ... ibrary.htm

Hey man, well done - and thanks!

They were inside a very old French Synthedit VST. I never figured out how the guy used them because at the time, SE could barely handle Soundfonts. We're talking 1998 maybe....

@osiris :
http://www.vstline.com/
i believe one of these osc module use the .wtb

I don't know N, the dates listed are 2006 and I think this VST is from 2001 at the latest.
I know at one point I was able to convert one of them into a .PCM file, but it was a bunch of short snips of different sounds all mashed together. I'm thinking the 256 (or however many) wave samples can go into a WT.

checked, the extension is ".wb1"
(waldorf_0-63.wb1 for example)

Return to “Soundware”