A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I saw that little update feature. Another nice little touch.

I really appreciate your programming style - it's very elegant.
Even if it is in DOS. I get to feel like Neo from the Matrix for an afternoon.
But more importantly, other people that watch me working (like my mum) get to think I'm like Neo for the afternoon. Actually, scrap that, my Mum's never seen The Matrix. :-)

I had a good play about with it last night into the small hours. I see what you mean about the discrepancies between the formats. I don't know if I imagined it but when you save to some formats information is lost/changed in comparison to if you saved to another format beforehand and THEN saved to that format. I didn't explain that very well. It's no big deal. I was saving and reloading, tweaking, re-saving to other formats. Pretty random stuff. Not one crash or hang. This program is solid as a rock so far as I can tell.

I played about with BWC, but to be honest I couldn't get it to do anything interesting, for all its options. Time...

I did make up a few presets for Harmor though from the waveforms I created in Audio-Term. I also started saving what I worked on to the different formats as promised. I have about 20 waveforms so far. I will share these for the different formats when it reaches 64. I have no idea what is a good or bad waveform - I guess having variation is the point then it is up to the end user to make something of it. I had a lot of fun in Harmor. I have never made patches from INIT in it before, so here is my first offering - a couple of templates and a dozen or so presets:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... Harmor.rar

All are free to use as you like.

And thanks for the extra info Mathias, it's really useful.

:)

I have found that Harmor VST version supports WT-Files. I am very pleased.

PietW. wrote:I have found that Harmor VST version supports WT-Files. I am very pleased.
Yes, it does - but unfortunately as pictures only. So I cannot store playback speed information for AT within the files and the phase information is lost on loading into Harmor.

blacktomcat666 wrote:
PietW. wrote:I have found that Harmor VST version supports WT-Files. I am very pleased.
Yes, it does - but unfortunately as pictures only. So I cannot store playback speed information for AT within the files and the phase information is lost on loading into Harmor.
Have you asked at Image Line?

Found this excellent and very informative 'article' by Don Solaris about Transwaves and the TS-10:

http://web.archive.org/web/201004070847 ... _ts10.html

--------------------------
With TS series, Ensoniq continued their line of transwave synths, this time introducing the sample playback in the synth engine. The first thing user would check when exploring waveform content are the transwaves. And unfortunately all those good transwaves from SD-1 are gone. In fact, this synth has a weakest set of transwaves, of all Ensoniq's transwave series. There is total of just 8 of them. But the worst thing is, they all sound almost the same. So, on the first sight it appears this is no good synth for transwave fun, right? Well.... wrong! We got some good news.
--------------------

He then goes on to describe how to create custom Transwaves:

------------------------
Here is a procedure on how to create custom transwaves (works on ASR-10 too). This requires commercial program called Awave Studio, but if you are musician you probably already have this program as it can do 1000 other things when it comes to sample conversion:

First, to create a transwave use Tranzilon - nice and simple prog.

Then convert .wav to ensoniq .efe file via Awave Studio program.

Then create ASR-10 floppy with EPSDisk.exe and save this .efe file it to disk. Done!

In case you want multi layer, then before you use EPSDisk start that Ensoniq MIDI Disk Tools program (described above) and add 3-4 layers (or just use copy if you want the same wave, so the waveform stays in layer 1 and you don't get unnecessary large file size).

Remember, this program operates directly on file, there is no undo. So make a copy of whatever you do.
-------------------

I downloaded some EPS files that someone put up at the Gearslutz thread where I found this info, but they would not load, giving me 'NO KTERM WAVETABLE FILE' and 'RANGE ERROR IN KTERM SYNTH DATA BLOCKS' errors. I opened the same .efe files in Awave and they seemed to be multi-samples comprised of a few individual component sounds, so this was probably why.

I also downloaded the Tranzilon program Don Solaris mentioned, and although it works it needs a program called Epsilon (which is also on the wayback machine archive) and when I tried to run it in Win7-64 it just wouldn't work. I'll try it on an old box sometime or in a VM. It looks interesting, but then again nowhere near the power and flexibility of Audio-Term.

As for the original Transwaves from the SD-1, I can record those to wav via audio output and then convert them to EPS16+, ASR10 and TS10/12, .efe files, plus all the other formats that Audio-Term supports.

I wonder how well that would translate. I really like the idea of loading in the Transwaves from my Ensoniq into Harmor, if nothing else, even if it isn't a perfect translation, it should still end up with something interesting.

But if you're interested in this kind of thing, read that article by Don Solaris - loads of good info about all of this.

codec_spurt wrote: I downloaded some EPS files that someone put up at the Gearslutz thread where I found this info, but they would not load, giving me 'NO KTERM WAVETABLE FILE' and 'RANGE ERROR IN KTERM SYNTH DATA BLOCKS' errors. I opened the same .efe files in Awave and they seemed to be multi-samples comprised of a few individual component sounds, so this was probably why.
AT can only read the *.efe files which were created by the KTERM function because there's only a description of the 512 byte instrument header, but none for the layer header or other important data like loop points. So I had to use a template of a reverse-engineered transwave and KTERM data are inserted at fixed points. Indeed not a smart solution, but AT isn't meant to be a full efe2wav convertor.

Another reason is that up to 75% of audio information is lost (or at least aliased) when converting an arbitrary 128 slot transwave down to the 33 slots of KTERM sine waves.

Can I get an instruction manual for this software? It looks incredible! What freeware synths can I use for the wave sounds I create?

Hi blacktomcat666! I have worked with single cycle wave forms a long time and will now take the plunge into the WT thanks to you and Piet. I am thinking about making a tutorial or manual as well. It took me a little while to understand how I could save into the different formats but now I understand. Will test this next week for real. I have a couple of wave form collections that I haven't released that are perfect as wavetables. Thanks for the awesome program!

I have a collection of more than 4000 waveforms at http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wavefor ... waveforms/ and now I have WT wave tables as well, thanks to you and Piet!

THANK YOU.

Thank you, Adventure Kid! Great work, man! :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

A short preview for v1.88, which will be available next week:

A new directory moving feature, which may be useful for products which require it's sound files in a certain folder (Surge, Wusikstation... ).

The scanloop analyzer (used for importing scanable wavetables in *.wav format) now has a drift display. This display is based of averaged values and tells you something about the quality of your source material. The higher the drift, the more scanning such waves causes artifacts (and the more difficult is importing for Audio-Term).

Some bug fixes will also be included.
Can I get an instruction manual for this software? It looks incredible! What freeware synths can I use for the wave sounds I create?
There's no instruction manual at the moment, since programming takes all available time. Further I don't know any freeware product for loading and scanning the wavetables (besides Pomklex). But single cycles and samples (stored with the SLOOP and XMRPH functions) can be used with every freeware sampler.

DuX wrote:Thank you, Adventure Kid! Great work, man! :D
Thanks! My pleasure! =)

After downloading v1.88 I unzipped it to a new folder just to test it before I dared manually replace the exe in my "old" folder. When attempting to run it from the new folder I only got an error message telling me to "Please extract the archive content to a directory before running Audio-Term!", even though I just did.. I was so excited to try out the new version. :( This is on Windows 7, 64-bit. Any idea what's going on?

I have a little bug report. I cannot update through the program since about v1.76 and all I get is "error opening url" for some reason. Are you maybe using udp address instead of http now? It might be that. I disabled udp protocol in my XP. I disabled or filter everything I can regarding network for security reasons except sheer http and TCP/IP.

Anyway, I can do it manually, of course. :D Just saying that it doesn't work as it used to. If you're using udp protocol now because it is convenient for you, I'll just do it manually, no worries. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

V-GER wrote:After downloading v1.88 I unzipped it to a new folder just to test it before I dared manually replace the exe in my "old" folder. When attempting to run it from the new folder I only got an error message telling me to "Please extract the archive content to a directory before running Audio-Term!", even though I just did.. I was so excited to try out the new version. :( This is on Windows 7, 64-bit. Any idea what's going on?
This is part of the program's security. I changed this in v1.89, now you get this message only if the detected install path has a [...].zip at the end.
DuX wrote:I have a little bug report. I cannot update through the program since about v1.76 and all I get is "error opening url" for some reason. Are you maybe using udp address instead of http now? It might be that. I disabled udp protocol in my XP. I disabled or filter everything I can regarding network for security reasons except sheer http and TCP/IP.

Anyway, I can do it manually, of course. :D Just saying that it doesn't work as it used to. If you're using udp protocol now because it is convenient for you, I'll just do it manually, no worries. ;)
Around you last working version I had to change to dropbox, because the old file hosting provider went offline.

Are you able to access one or both of the following links (it's the update container file for v1.89)?

http://bit.ly/18qRPDO
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/msyqsqizxi0th7 ... erm.update

I tested this on Windows XP32, Vista64 and 7/64 from 6 different computers, providers and network configurations and it worked. Strange...

i meant to try out the latest version, but i couldn't make it produce a sound. i'm not on windows, i've tried wine on both linux and osx, and neither would work. it says "sound system is online" but to no avail. i gather from this thread though, people have successfully used it with osx ? any tricks involved?

thanks!

Return to “Soundware”