A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know wether wine supports the waveout api or not. Does Audio-Term report more than one sound card (see UTILITY -> waveout device)? Any messages about errors?

blacktomcat, regarding the update not working from within the program, I can download from both of the links you posted. Yeah, weird.

It's probably something on my side. Maybe the update relies on some of the services in XP I disabled. I'm quite sure of that. My internet "setup" is rather basic for security, as I said. I'm going to try to update from the VirtualBox XP I have, which is not "finely tuned" and report. ;)

edit: I tried to update from VirtualBox XP without success. I get the same message. Now I'm confused, too. The XP I installed in the VirtualBox is pretty much default Windows XP without many tweaks.

Well, if it works for everybody else, then it's my problem anyway. :lol: Router? My ISP? Who knows. But I can download the update with Firefox, that's confusing me. hmmmm and hmmmmm again.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

blacktomcat666 wrote:I don't know wether wine supports the waveout api or not. Does Audio-Term report more than one sound card (see UTILITY -> waveout device)? Any messages about errors?
neither do i. i just figured it might work, as someone further up the thread seemed to say he got it working. (not sure though whether he'd used wine or not).

at any rate: no, utility only reports "built-in output". there's no error messages. everything seems to work fine, except the black-on-green buttons (file, input, etc), which refuse to do anything

@DuX: Have you tried opening the links with IE, too? Audio-Term uses it's configuration settings.

@xxxxm: I don't have Linux or OSX, so I can't test this. Some people told me that it worked, others reported the same problem (no sound, no messages, dead playback buttons). I have absolutely no idea what's the reason for that... :(

I don't use IE, and I have disabled it as much as I could in my Windows XP, but I can still access it with Windows Explorer and both links work. ;)

10 seconds later, trying to update from Audio-Term: What happened? :shock: Now all of a sudden the update works! :D Because I tried to download it with IE. I'm not sure what has changed by trying to download from IE, but it sure helped. :) I also went into the control panel>Internet Options to check if everything looks alright. It did.

So there's the solution for all the loads of people [joke :lol:] who experience problems updating the Audio-Term from within the program. You just enter the download address into Windows Explorer "address" field and try to download from the locations blacktomcat posted and then try updating again.

Problem solved. :cool:

Epilogue: Did I mention that I hate Microsoft? :D But there's not much choice if you like to use the same plugins and programs I'm so accustomed to [that includes Audio-Term...]. :cry: Just bloody Windows... Like George Carlin said: you have no choice! You just think you do. :x
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

May be a needed network service was set to "manual" and started when using IE?!

I'll add some changes to the update function which may solve that problem by adding a direct connection attempt without using IE settings.

blacktomcat666 wrote: @xxxxm: I don't have Linux or OSX, so I can't test this. Some people told me that it worked, others reported the same problem (no sound, no messages, dead playback buttons). I have absolutely no idea what's the reason for that... :(
ok, thanks anyway. a pity, seems to be a cool program. i can't seem to write files either, nor draw etc. so perhaps it's a permissions thing. before i drive myself crazy with trying to make it work, may i ask a question? - as i couldn't find a great deal of information on the various export formats, are these documented somewhere? specifically the single cycles: is it possible to export them, say, per octave/reduced harmonics, all into one wav file?

No, single cycle support is very basic, because it's not the focus of AT. One can export each slot of a wavetable to a single *.wav file with 128,256,512,1024,2048 or 4096 samples resolution and loop data included.

AT only has 64 harmonics, this is because of the Terratec Komplexer compatibility. Shifting the octave down leads to a lack of overtones, whereas shifting up runs out of available harmonics very fast.

For a kind of "waveform to multi-sample" process it would be far better to start with a large waveform - say 2048 harmonics (4096 samples) and reducing them to avoid aliasing when shifting the octave up. This is explained here (although it's not about scanable wavetables like these of AT):

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php? ... etableoscs

yep, that's the kind of thing i need to do. which wouldn't be such a big deal, once i had a convenient method of generating a single cycle. phew, maybe i need to borrow a windows machine

DuX wrote:I don't use IE, and I have disabled it as much as I could in my Windows XP, but I can still access it with Windows Explorer and both links work. ;)

10 seconds later, trying to update from Audio-Term: What happened? :shock: Now all of a sudden the update works! :D Because I tried to download it with IE. I'm not sure what has changed by trying to download from IE, but it sure helped. :) I also went into the control panel>Internet Options to check if everything looks alright. It did.

So there's the solution for all the loads of people [joke :lol:] who experience problems updating the Audio-Term from within the program. You just enter the download address into Windows Explorer "address" field and try to download from the locations blacktomcat posted and then try updating again.

Problem solved. :cool:

Epilogue: Did I mention that I hate Microsoft? :D But there's not much choice if you like to use the same plugins and programs I'm so accustomed to [that includes Audio-Term...]. :cry: Just bloody Windows... Like George Carlin said: you have no choice! You just think you do. :x
1.90 is online. As usual some improvements and fixes, most of them under the hood (file management, folder moving, graphics engine... ).

The UPDATE function now has some internal improvements (additional direct connection attempt and some changed permissions), but the problem may persist if some needed services are out of order. AT doesn't interfere in the system's configuration.

xxxxm wrote:
blacktomcat666 wrote: @xxxxm: I don't have Linux or OSX, so I can't test this. Some people told me that it worked, others reported the same problem (no sound, no messages, dead playback buttons). I have absolutely no idea what's the reason for that... :(
ok, thanks anyway. a pity, seems to be a cool program. i can't seem to write files either, nor draw etc. so perhaps it's a permissions thing.
Version 1.91 is now available. I reworked the mouse control routines for drawing graphics and triggering playback, may be this will work now.

The old routines where reported not to work properly when using wine( the same goes for the file writing functions: I can build a 'workaround', but I don't want to change everything at once without knowing wether it has a positive effect or not).

cool, all buttons working now with v1.91 in wine/ubuntu .. AND i'm getting sound now.

thanks!

xxxxm wrote:cool, all buttons working now with v1.91 in wine/ubuntu .. AND i'm getting sound now.

thanks!
:) I know that AT is not that kind of product you where looking for, so thank you for trying again and for your patience.

Ok, the only thing which isn't that easy to change is the keyboard shortcut control. This feature won't work with wine at the moment.

Are you still having problems with writing files? Do you get any kind of error message in AT? If you get "FILE ACCESS ERROR" please have a look into the directory - may be the file was written although an error was reported. If that's the case I'd also rework the error checking.

blacktomcat666 wrote:
:) I know that AT is not that kind of product you where looking for, so thank you for trying again and for your patience.

Ok, the only thing which isn't that easy to change is the keyboard shortcut control. This feature won't work with wine at the moment.

Are you still having problems with writing files? Do you get any kind of error message in AT? If you get "FILE ACCESS ERROR" please have a look into the directory - may be the file was written although an error was reported. If that's the case I'd also rework the error checking.
oh, it's nice enough as an editor. as to writing files, sorry i haven't played around with the software much, only got it working this morning. will try later and report. where is it done? in the assembly menu?

It's in the disk menu (the assembling page only uses some of the stored output files as 'library' for assembling new tables and has no write functionality).

In KTERM go to DISK, press F_TYPE and select an output file type, for example "03 KTERM Wavetables".

You're now browsing the chosen directory, which only contains this type of sound files. Press SAVE, put in a name and confirm with return. You can use either keyboard or mouse for text input.

Ignore the following file parameter settings, it's just a test for a start. Even an empty file does the job. Press STORE. Now the file is written to disk and the screen returns to the browser view with the file cursor on the new file.

AT has a self organizing directory structure, which includes an automatic file recognition and sorting, duplicate handling and so on. Damaged or unknown files are moved to a recycle bin, which you can access from the very first page (MAIN MENU). If the files is created but damaged, it will be moved to the recycle bin. If the file shows up in your chosen folder, it's okay.

Return to “Soundware”