A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

blacktomcat666 wrote:Version 1.21:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/26 ... o-Term.zip

Added a new file type in KTERM called 'BWC'.

BWC files can be loaded into the "Blofeld Wavetable Creator". They consist of a 32bit signed pcm wavetable file with a footer added, including data wich are required to reload these files (without losing information) into KTERM.

You can write 3 types of BWCs:

Slice 1-33 filled, 34 - 64 empty (33_RAW)
Slice 1-33 filled, 34-64 filled with the content of 33 (33_SUS)
Slice 1-64 filled with an interpolation of the 33 KTERM source entries (64_IPOL)

These files can be opened with "Blofeld Wavetable Creator" using the "Import Wave" button (set view to "all files"). There are also some prebuild BWCs in the zip file: some sweeps and some vocal stuff ("yeah","K-TERM")...

I do not own a blofeld, so it would be nice if someone could try this. Hope, it works... . ;)
Wow, though I don't have a Blofeld either I do use the Blofeld Wavetable creator to make wavetables every now and then. If this works and enables wavetables being sent back and forth between those two that's just.. :love: :hyper: :wheee:

-

Testing out, can't find the 64_IPOL option - only the RAW and SUS options..

How do I save it in the Wavetable Creator to reimport back into Audio-Term? Wav, syx (not 100 % sure what that is?), what? EDIT: or you just meant that the BWC files can be loaded back into Audio-Term without any loss of information or degredation, right? :oops:

Again, thank you so much for this - I'm really having a blast with this software! & cudos for all the amazing updates (haven't gotten into all the latest additions quite yet but I love to know that they'll still be there when I manage to figure out how to use them...). :tu:

Hm... 64_IPOL should be the third button from the left in the upper button row - testing... hm... - it IS there, at least in my copy. But it's possible that this is a graphics error. I'm working with Win XP, but this old fashioned graphics library seems to be buggy when running on Vista/7. :(

BWC Files only can be exported. When you reload a BWC in "Audio - Term", it ignores all of the 'Blofeld specific' wave audio section and goes straight to the file's footer, where harmonic data are stored.

There's no other solution, because Komplexer and Blofeld work totally different. Komplexer is an additive Synth with 33 banks built of 64 sine wave osc. Blofeld is a true wavetable synth and uses audio data as wavetable.
So for the use in Blofeld, files have to be resampled (256 samples -> 128) and interpolated (33 table entries -> 64). This changes the harmonic content, especially for those harmonics above 32. So your right - it's to preserve data. (I'm planning to do this for rendered wave files also in one of the next releases).

Another reason: "Audio - Term" is compatible to Komplexer. That means: sine waves only... it's impossible for a sine wave synth to "resynthesize" the arbitrary waveforms you can draw in the "Blofeld Wavetable Creator".

blacktomcat666 wrote:Hm... 64_IPOL should be the third button from the left in the upper button row - testing... hm... - it IS there, at least in my copy. But it's possible that this is a graphics error. I'm working with Win XP, but this old fashioned graphics library seems to be buggy when running on Vista/7. :(

BWC Files only can be exported. When you reload a BWC in "Audio - Term", it ignores all of the 'Blofeld specific' wave audio section and goes straight to the file's footer, where harmonic data are stored.

There's no other solution, because Komplexer and Blofeld work totally different. Komplexer is an additive Synth with 33 banks built of 64 sine wave osc. Blofeld is a true wavetable synth and uses audio data as wavetable.
So for the use in Blofeld, files have to be resampled (256 samples -> 128) and interpolated (33 table entries -> 64). This changes the harmonic content, especially for those harmonics above 32. So your right - it's to preserve data. (I'm planning to do this for rendered wave files also in one of the next releases).

Another reason: "Audio - Term" is compatible to Komplexer. That means: sine waves only... it's impossible for a sine wave synth to "resynthesize" the arbitary waveforms you can draw in the "Blofeld Wavetable Creator".
On Windows 7 & couldn't see the third button here.. When I loaded the software again, loaded the stored .wt version (saved it just in case..) and attempted to save as BWC again the option showed up... Weird.. :shrug: Perhaps I'm having issues with my system under heavy load with too much crap running in the background or something?

I've read a little bit about why it's sinewaves/partials all the way before (and tried to read up a little bit on the Komplexer, though I couldn't find all that much - and realized I probably will never play with one anyway..), so I get that. I was just dreaming & hoping you might have decided to give it some extra functionality on the side... :wink: Happy to see this anyway offcourse, it opens up some extra possibilities. And thanks for making things even clearer, I kind of saw what was happening but didn't have concreet numbers to connect it with..

Yup, I noticed the high harmonics I wanted a wavetable to end up with got really quiet when loaded into the Blofeld Wavetable creator (I was prepared for it not to be 100 % the same, would be nice have a certain clue as to how they may change but I guess experimentation and experience is the key)..

Am I imagining things, or does the wavetables sound better in the lower regions now? A bit fuller, but still retaining that old-school charm. :)

Question for anyone familiar with Kubik reading this: do you know why Kubik can't resynthesize wavs from Audio-Term? I just get a "Problem with sample" message, no explanation and the manual doesn't help much...

Where does one get manual for this? I plan to do some serious Komplexer programming soon and would like to make some wavetables based on Ensoniq stuff. Great program by the way, but I would work a lot more quicker if I have read the manual first.
No signature here!

I don't know what's the reason for the graphics issues, but I found out that they only occur on newer systems. I used the WINBGIM graphics library, which is a port of the very old Turbo - C graphics. And that's the only library I can deal with. :( Learning to use another one and rebuild the program would take forever, I'm afraid. I also have no idea about OO programming (required by most of the libs), "Audio - Term" is written in plain, procedural C... . So fixing the graphics problems has it's limits when it'd turn out that this lib is incompatible to newer systems. Hm... when I started this project, it was for personal use only - I had no idea that anyone but me could find this useful. :D

The BWC export is a kind of test at the moment - for those, who want to experiment with some new possibilities. It's not perfect in handling and results, but I'm working on all areas of "Audio - Term" to improve things as soon as possible. And then there's the lack of a manual... .

I don't know what's wrong with the waves when importing to Kubik. It uses a standard header and an smpl chunk at the end of the file. Since Kubik is the only program which complains, it may be a problem wthin that software. But I don't know thsi and I don't want to spread rumors... ;). The specification of the wave file format changed in the past, so it's also possible that this is an error caused by different interpretations/revisions.

Such different revisions you can experience with the "Blofeld Wavetable Creator", too - it assumes that every file has a 44kb header and that the rest (even data chunks) is audio. :? It took me some hours to change my files a) to have no time offset, b) to find a workaround for a small normalisation bug within it's import routine. :)
Last edited by blacktomcat666 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry, I still hadn't the time for a manual (I'm no professional developer and programming is done at night after work... ;) ). There's a quick manual for the old "Komplex - Term" version 1.4, which is very similar to the KTERM<> (=wavetable) section of my program. That's not a solution, but to get a grip on:

[url]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/26 ... 4//Komplex - Term v1.4 guide.pdf[/url]

Thanks. I actually found out meanwhile that I already had the same PDF. Just have not read it yet, because I haven't got yet to making my own wavetables. But I'm sure this will get me started.
No signature here!

I find it really helpful for creating wavetables for Vaz modular, also... ;) and this app looks utterly cool on my secondary, smaller LCD. Looks like that LCD is made for it. :) [Philips 16" 160E model, cheap as pop-corn :), I use it for location recording] Reminds me of bad old times when we didn't have total recall. :lol:

Splendid! I'm in digital heaven. I always preferred tinkering with my own samples and sounds, rather than using commercial ones. This app provides me with lots of fun. :love: I can finally put a fart sample *wavetable* into PPG and Vaz! [just a joke :lol:] Thank you so much for your work and primarily for your enthusiasm, blacktomcat! I definitely gather from your posts that you are one. ;) Majority of people these days are only preoccupied with very shallow kind of thinking...

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Small update to 1.22 (the link is still the same):

1.) Rendered *.wav wavetables now hold a copy of the harmonic data. In the browser of the wavetable generator KTERM<>, these data are used for prelistening from disk and for loading, so you don't have to resynthesize them. A message provides information about if you're listening to wave audio data or harmonic synthesis when you prelisten files from disk.

Please don't edit and save rendered audio wavetables in another wave editor, otherwise the chunk with the harmonic data will be overwritten by other programs.

Older rendered audio wavetables, which have no harmonic data chunk, are still compatible, but treated as audio data as it used to be in the past. The SLOOP<> and XMRPH<> functions, which have nothing to do with wavetable synthesis, still handle all audio wavetables as audio data.

2.) The function KTERM<> -> SEDIT<> -> MATH<>, which is a simple PWM generator, was improved a bit (changed ranges, new parameter...).

Version 1.3 with some internal improvements and a fix for the *.WT import bug:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/26 ... o-Term.zip

Thank you blacktomcat! I see it's v1.33 now. :P
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Thank you blacktomcat! I see it's v1.33 now. :P
I hadn't had the time to post a message here so far: Since v1.31 it's possible to get updates by using the UPDATE button. I hope this works well. If a manual is available, the update will also include the latest version of the *.pdf file. But there where so many changes and fixes that it isn't finished yet.

GREAT! :-o

Update button is always welcome! :)

Even though I must say that I find Komplex-term results somewhat better sounding for VAZ modular wavetables. I'm maybe not using the new version right. I have to explore AudioTerm more. ;) It's just that sometimes worse is better... hmmm in many cases worse is better regarding audio. :hihi:

Cheers!

I wish for many more updates since the program is so awesome and I hope Mathias continues.
I also very much like the "SLOOP" function. You can do with great sounds because all it loads perfectly looped, and a stereo file is made.
I made a multi-sample of 6 samples, C1-C6 and looped with audio-term. I've imported into contact. Perfectly.

It's a great program, innit? It reminds me of when I used to render samples in Avalon and send the result to an AKAI S-950 for preview...

Hell, now I got stuck in ATARI forums! Again. :lol:

Return to “Soundware”