A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there buddies,

This software made by blacktomcat666 looks pretty neat, but I'm having problems dealing with it (am I doing the right stuff?): I can't hear anything from it, not even the samples it brings. Doesn't make any kind of sound. Not even my own samples.

I'm a noob, I confess, but... am I doing something wrong?

I'm running Windows Vista 64.

Congrats to all and to the developer.

Krazinkypows wrote:Hi there buddies,

This software made by blacktomcat666 looks pretty neat, but I'm having problems dealing with it (am I doing the right stuff?): I can't hear anything from it, not even the samples it brings. Doesn't make any kind of sound. Not even my own samples.

If you want to use K-Term I can send you a guide.

Krazinkypows wrote:Hi there buddies,

The software uses the "standard device" for audio output, which has to be selected in the system settings of your OS. Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't make a sound, especially if there's more than one soundcard in the system. Using the compatibility mode may help, too.

I'm not shure if there are further problems with a 64 bit OS, because the software was initially developed for personal purposes on my Win XP 32 machine and the public availability is only because some people where interested in having a copy. But although I'm a novice to programming I'll try my very best to get rid of these "no sounds" problems!

For those who experienced the "no sound" errors:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/26 ... o-Term.zip

I added further chunks and entries (cbSize, 'fact' - chunk) to the internal wave playback headers, so if this was the reason for not playing files it should be fixed now. Some further bugs are fixed too (crash on re-loading files after saving it).

[Edit: PietW told me that this didn't work at all, although I followed the Rev 3.0 RIFF specification and although it was running without problems on my machines. So I had to remove the new code. Sorry. :( ]

blacktomcat666 wrote: There's no chance for me to test the software on another OS than my Win XP :(. But I'll write a small debug tool for you to test some cases, if you like. But I'm not at home at the moment, so I cannot work on the software until monday. Sorry for the disappointment - I hope we will find a solution.
Hi, I did some more testing. Audio Term can load and save files with no errors and I can play them back within OSX. I guess the only graphics error is that the audit button is permanently lit.

This might help: K-term 1.5 gives an error when creating a new 128 length wav file and that it is "Wrong structure or size" and "unknown" file type. I can still play this file back in OSX though. No errors with the other table lengths.

I wouldn't mind trying a debug tool.

Thanks again for the program!

jonahs wrote:
blacktomcat666 wrote: There's no chance for me to test the software on another OS than my Win XP :(. But I'll write a small debug tool for you to test some cases, if you like. But I'm not at home at the moment, so I cannot work on the software until monday. Sorry for the disappointment - I hope we will find a solution.
Hi, I did some more testing. Audio Term can load and save files with no errors and I can play them back within OSX. I guess the only graphics error is that the audit button is permanently lit.

This might help: K-term 1.5 gives an error when creating a new 128 length wav file and that it is "Wrong structure or size" and "unknown" file type. I can still play this file back in OSX though. No errors with the other table lengths.

I wouldn't mind trying a debug tool.

Thanks again for the program!
The problem in 1.5 was, that a 128 wavetable was too short for re-analysis. In Audio-Term there's a new "FILL" function for "stretching". Another point is that re-analyzing a rendered wavetable is not recommended, because the software fails to select the "right 33" slices out of the 128,256... slices and the table would look and sound different from the original. It's more thought for analysing "normal" sounds (a spoken word, a single piano note... ), not for exact waveform reproduction.

I think the playback problem is a result of the 32 bit wave file header used for the files stored in the program memory. Earlier versions had a 16bit wave for auditioning.

I added some changes to the playback function:

It would be nice if someone with a "no sound" error could try this. Please note that Audio-Term uses the standard output device (see windows system control).

Go to KTERM<> -> DISK, select a file with the mouse and press PRELIS with the left mouse button. Still no sound? Error Messages? Not even a small click? Does the PRELIS button flash? If there's no reaction, go to the HARM tab and try to draw some harmonice with the left mouse button. There should be a change in the wave display above after drawing is finished. If not or if the program hangs, please tell me!

As far as I found out the reason for this strange behaviour could also be the "mouse button down" detection.

I used to get the 'Wrong Structure or Size' error with KTerm 1.5 but its working fine with AudioTerm 1.0

Whatever you did, it seems to have fixed the issue.

Nice work. Inspired me to do a little VST with a wavetable osci I had in stock.
http://www.eskahome.at/Pomklex.zip
Install: Put the Audio-Term folder in your VST folder and my VST in the Audio-Term folder. Strip the version number from Audio-Term.exe.
You can then call Audio-Term from within the VST and load wavetables from the wave folder( currently only 256 samples long).

Edit:Fixes, example-wavetables,readme: please redownload.

Eska wrote:Nice work. Inspired me to do a little VST with a wavetable osci I had in stock.
http://www.eskahome.at/Pomklex.zip
Install: Put the Audio-Term folder in your VST folder and my VST in the Audio-Term folder. Strip the version number from Audio-Term.exe.
You can then call Audio-Term from within the VST and load wavetables from the wave folder( currently only 256 samples long).

Edit:Fixes, example-wavetables,readme: please redownload.
Just tried this, very briefly, seem to work great! I'm not sure, if I'm getting sound from Audio term, though, I'll keep reading and working with it. Thanks :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Komplexer is one of my very very few favourite synthesizers, and I've been looking for a more comfortable way to edit and make new wavetables for years! :) This is perfect from a-z. I love it! :) I love that it looks like a Waveterm emulator, too!!! :)

Yeah, I'm old school... and I don't want to change. :lol:

Yeah, I'm also using Windows XP 32 nLited by me, too. It works perfectly and I don't think I'm going to "update" soon, as my perception of updates is quite differently to 95% of the people, and I make music - not fiddle with the OS and shiny graphics. :lol:

If I make another nLited OS it will be XP x64... no 7 or god forbid Vista. I just want everything to work.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Version 1.2:

Still no manual, sorry...

Some of the new features:

- KTERM<> has an completely new envelope editor
- auditioning speed is stored in *.WT files
- rendered wavetables now have 8 cycles per slice, which reduces aliasing and crackling
- slightly improved sound quality
- enevlopes, filter bands and harmonics now have "limits" (help for drawing postive/negative values only)
- in KTERM<> -> SEDIT -> MATH<> you now can build a kind of pwm wavetable (not perfect results because of the resolution, but I think you could find it useful)

- XMRPH<> has now a phase correction option, which reduces flanging
- a fade fuction smoothes start and end of a sound
- for both source files loops can be activated: If one file is longer than the other, the shorter one will be looped, if there are loop data in the file. Works with normal, alternating and reverse loop. There will be some handling improvements in the next versions.

- in window mode you can put the program window somewhere on your (primary) screen and set this as startup position for the program by pressing "SET_XY"

Thank you big time blacktomcat! Wonderful program. It gives me a somewhat warm feeling when working with Komplexer... ;) I've never owned the Waveterm, "only" PPG 2.3, but my friend still has the *whole* PPG system. I always drooled on Waveterm and how it sounds and looks. Reminded me of Star Trek :lol: or a more advanced version of Fairlight III. :P

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

hi,
works great. Thank you.

Version 1.21:

Added a new file type in KTERM called 'BWC'.

BWC files can be loaded into the "Blofeld Wavetable Creator". They consist of a 32bit signed pcm wavetable file with a footer added, including data wich are required to reload these files (without losing information) into KTERM.

You can write 3 types of BWCs:

Slice 1-33 filled, 34 - 64 empty (33_RAW)
Slice 1-33 filled, 34-64 filled with the content of 33 (33_SUS)
Slice 1-64 filled with an interpolation of the 33 KTERM source entries (64_IPOL)

These files can be opened with "Blofeld Wavetable Creator" using the "Import Wave" button (set view to "all files"). There are also some prebuild BWCs in the zip file: some sweeps and some vocal stuff ("yeah","K-TERM")...

I do not own a blofeld, so it would be nice if someone could try this. Hope, it works... . ;)

Return to “Soundware”