Iris subscription thread patchpool - fresh Iris 2 sounds

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

swartzfeger wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Here is a little video featuring a patch from the next susbcription set (No. 26) - some male overtone singing on F (myself) slightly melodyned (cheat!), harmonics enhanced with a filter, then treated with some spatial plugs, then imported into Iris. I also sampled my new Djembe today and processed some single hits to huge and beautiful drones and strange textures to be then treated with Iris.
Simon, just watched your video -- I didn't know you were a Tuvan throat singer! :D

Eerie yet beautiful. I have some buddhist prayer bells that will match nicely with that patch.
Haha, still practising but I'm nowhere near the throat singing techniques of the Tuvan's yet :) they sing real intervals not just harmonic transitions...

I think you're doing very well!

I had the good fortune to spend a couple of months travelling around Mongolia and witnessed a couple of performances, one arranged and one impromptu, both up close and personal in our ger.

It's probably the most astonishing thing I've ever heard in person (hang on ... or it could that have been on the same trip when that shaman loudly farted in the middle of a ritual he was performing).

Seriously, keep up the practice Simon!

lnikj wrote:I think you're doing very well!

I had the good fortune to spend a couple of months travelling around Mongolia and witnessed a couple of performances, one arranged and one impromptu, both up close and personal in our ger.

It's probably the most astonishing thing I've ever heard in person (hang on ... or it could that have been on the same trip when that shaman loudly farted in the middle of a ritual he was performing).

Seriously, keep up the practice Simon!
Thank you - LOL, mongolian overtone farting?
I also attended a banquet in Kasachstan (in 2011) where a this multi-instrumentalist gave a stunning performance, including some incredible overtone-interval-magical-singing, this really got me interested.

Here is an ambient demo track using 5 instances of Iris, 4 of the patches were made with/derived from Djembe samples:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/d ... -iris-demo

It was time to sample my Espresso machine, it's beautiful and clear harmonics caught my interest long ago, so today I took some equipment into the kitchen. There will also be a patch with just the Milkfoamer valve which makes some incredible animal-like sounds when the excessive air has discharged from the machine. What an amazing instrument :)

So here is a little video messing with the Espresso Harmonics Drone, at the end of the sample it's just the sound of the foam (créma) on top of the coffee inside the cup (where else)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AKYLb3O5o:

Sounds like my Gaggia :-) Love these videos.

What mic(s) do you use for field recording? I would like to get one once I get over the forthcoming wallet emptying for new U-He plugins.

lnikj wrote:Sounds like my Gaggia :-) Love these videos.

What mic(s) do you use for field recording? I would like to get one once I get over the forthcoming wallet emptying for new U-He plugins.
Different types, for outdoor stuff and film work I usually use 2 Sennheiser MKH 70 mounted on a boom inside the windshield cages, then I also use an Audiotechnica stereo mic sometimes (like in this case), or some in-ear mics for binaural spionage recordings.

For quick and dirty ambiences I do carry around a Zoom H2, amazing quality for such a small gadget, even with the inbuilt mics and it also does quadrophonic recordings as it has 4 built in mics.

My main recorder is a Tascam HD P2, which has exceptional mic-preamps with a very good noise to signal ratio, so you can also record very quiet sounds and boost them later without getting a waterfall of hiss and noises. I used a Marantz PMD 671 before but the preamps are not as good as the Tascam ones.

Long answer to a short question...

Sampleconstruct wrote: at the end of the sample it's just the sound of the foam (créma) on top of the coffee inside the cup
Not nice! Now I have a caffeine craving and need to go get a nice hot & fresh dark espresso! :x

:P

Neon Breath wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: at the end of the sample it's just the sound of the foam (créma) on top of the coffee inside the cup
Not nice! Now I have a caffeine craving and need to go get a nice hot & fresh dark espresso! :x

:P
Lol :D

Sampleconstruct wrote:

Different types, for outdoor stuff and film work I usually use 2 Sennheiser MKH 70 mounted on a boom inside the windshield cages, then I also use an Audiotechnica stereo mic sometimes (like in this case), or some in-ear mics for binaural spionage recordings.

For quick and dirty ambiences I do carry around a Zoom H2, amazing quality for such a small gadget, even with the inbuilt mics and it also does quadrophonic recordings as it has 4 built in mics.

My main recorder is a Tascam HD P2, which has exceptional mic-preamps with a very good noise to signal ratio, so you can also record very quiet sounds and boost them later without getting a waterfall of hiss and noises. I used a Marantz PMD 671 before but the preamps are not as good as the Tascam ones.

The twin MKH70s to capture a stereo signal? Ermmm ... binaural spionage?

I have been considering an H2 or H4. The tascam sounds good but a bit out of budget really at the moment.

Thanks for the info :-)

lnikj wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

The twin MKH70s to capture a stereo signal? Ermmm ... binaural spionage?

I have been considering an H2 or H4. The tascam sounds good but a bit out of budget really at the moment.

Thanks for the info :-)
Yeah, I don't do mono recordings - ever, all ambiences and sounds I record with the MKH70s are in stereo, the boom gets a bit heavy after some hours :) - but the recordings are great and spatial, and if I want mono for the center in case of
L-C-R mixing I only use one leg.

Spionage meaning that sometimes it's better people don't notice you're recording - e.g. when recording ambiences in a pedestrian zone or a super market :)

Here is a demo for the patch "Catacomb Orchestra" which will also be part of Subscription Set 26:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/c ... -iris-demo

Sampleconstruct wrote: Spionage meaning that sometimes it's better people don't notice you're recording - e.g. when recording ambiences in a pedestrian zone or a super market :)
Understood. I guess we'll be having laws on that soon too :(

Like the latest demo!

lnikj wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Spionage meaning that sometimes it's better people don't notice you're recording - e.g. when recording ambiences in a pedestrian zone or a super market :)
Understood. I guess we'll be having laws on that soon too :(

Like the latest demo!
Yeah, laws for controlling field recording would be most important :)
It's just that walking around with a large boom carrying two big fluffy microphone cages (like 2 dogs on a pole), a headphone, a recorder on a belt, black clothes, maybe sun glasses and being +6 feet 4" myslef it's sort of hard to record without people staring at you, changing their behaviour, muting themselves or doing things they wouldn't do if I was not there. That's why spionage in-ear-mics are so valuable.

Here is a little improv using 3 Iris patches with Djembe loops, the first 2 patches in the demo are running in Radius RT mode, so their tempo is fixed to 100 BPM, the third loop at the end of the demo is a fast triplet loop. Just jamming along here tweaking the assigned controllers on the fly:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/d ... -iris-demo

Return to “Soundware”