Hi Tremor, can you kick it?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:
himalaya wrote:Hey
Just trying to find out if people find these kicks usable or not. At least from listening to these demos. I think some kicks are tuned too high and have a tad too long envelope decay, but that's to provide some variation in the demo patterns.
they are usable but you can clearly hear tremor is still very one dimensional and weak with kicks versus dedicated kick plugins as there's a lot it can't do for kicks. it also uses an entire core per pattern which is a bit OTT. (where as spark on the same machine here uses a quarter of a core for any kit and as much pattern as i need for that kit.. huge difference, and definitely better kicks, samples most of the time yes i know, but they sound good)

Honestly, i'd use something like SA kick or metrum for the kick, and use tremor for everything else (if i used tremor).

RP punch does decent kicks for sure and the only all in one that i think does it all "well enough", again with decent cpu.

I can recreate almost any kick in tremor , the key is to use the amp.envelope PRE the actual overdrive effect , so the overdrive shapes the amp.env.output
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

The technique you mention has been thoroughly explored by yours truly. However, simply modulating the PRE (or POST, or indeed the saturating Amp Level) is only a small part of the story. The bigger question is how the kick is started to begin with. Is it an 'oscillator+pitch+filter' type of affair, or is it a 'self-resonating-filter' variety (where the actual oscillator is created with self-resonance, and the main oscillator and its pitch control are totally bypassed). I've explored both approaches here, and each gives a totally different sound.

I've actually used most of the drum machines mentioned here to compare how the new Tremor kicks sound. I have now full confidence that Tremor holds its own and punches above board, especially that it does not use any samples.

Still, there are areas that I wish were done differently in Tremor. For example, the noise module would be more useful if it could be set to bypass the filter. This would allow to shape that initial transient 'attack' better. This is where the more complex filters come in handy as they allow to 'bleed' the noise through the filter (if the right type is selected and tuned).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:I have now full confidence that Tremor holds its own and punches above board, especially that it does not use any samples.
That's the main point. It's unfair to compare Tremor to a sampler. Any drum machine can sound good if it's using samples, which is kind of cheating (when marketing it as a "synth"). However, samples are nowhere near as expressive.

Return to “Soundware”