Airwave - yet another WINE VST bridge for Linux (April 12 update)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How is the situation currently with:
Native Instruments stuff (mainly Reaktor and Kontakt) (Native Access also would need to work so I can install stuff without having to use pirated versions)
EastWest Play 6.X

I'd like to create a Linux Installation (again, the last one blew up) to get rid of my ancient Windows 7, but use those a lot, and have a Composer Cloud subscription...

Hi, Native Access isn't working (yet) in wine-staging, and sadly, I think the trend
will be for new NI installers to be integrated in Native Access, rather than exist
as separate apps that could be installed (but not registered) in wine-staging.
If you have installers that will complete their job, you will at least have
30 minute Reaktor sessions, and 15 minutes in Kontakt.
Hopefully older 'service-center' registration installs will still work.
Possibly aided by sneaker-net transport of related registry entries
from win7 registry to the wine registry version

The good news is that a huge array of instruments and effects
lacking hardcore registration kontrols, will work,
and LinVst and Airwave can wrap most of them as native-linux vsts,
for use in linux daw apps without wine-staging*.
U-he, IK, and KV331 among others.
The LinVst developer is active in this forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761&page=8

I'd suggest installing linux on an external drive, and booting
from the 'early boot' menu, for safe experiments.

* I would use the wineHQ repository for installing wine,
as the ones available in most linux repositories are fraught with
distro-maintainers dependency issues, and should be fully uninstalled
before installing wine-staging. Older wine versions lack many of the
audio related updates wine devs have implemented. Look for
wine 2.18 or newer for best results, and if a certain plugin
won't work in wine, or with LinVst/Airwave, consider adding
some wine over-rides, some over-ride tips may be at the above link
Cheers

Thanks! Yeah it's a bummer that I'm tied to a lot of paid stuff that I want to keep using... I liked the performance I was getting from my KX Studio installation.

I had mixed results with Airwave, but it's almost 2 years since I had Linux running the last time so maybe Wine and Airwave got better meanwhile.

Anyway I don't used too many VSTs these days, I can do 90% of the stuff natively in Bitwig, and the projects are cross-platform without tweaks :)

I'm going away for a while, but I will look into this when I get back, I love the idea of a Bitwig & Linux based studio computer, would be an endearingly simple setup... As long as I can get those few things to run. I have Komplete so everything is from Native Access :/ Well, there are the cracked versions, but I really don't trust them to be as stable as the originals. And would feel stupid to use them since I own all of my stuff :(

i get to :
"cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/airwave -DVSTSDK_PATH=${HOME}/VST3\ SDK .."
And i get this:
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:65 (message):
VST SDK is not found. You should set the VSTSDK_PATH variable to the
directory, where your copy of the VST SDK is located.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/jon/airwave/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

So how do set the vstsdk_path ?
Ps. New to Linux Mint :D

I'm just tackling the same problem :/

I found the mistake: Steinberg has changed the directory structure.

You need to copy the two directories under the VST2 sub-directory to the directory where the VSTSDK_PATH is set. So one level down, basically.

But installation went somewhere strange, I got:
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "Release"
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-plugin.so
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-host-64.exe
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-host-64.exe.so
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-host-32.exe
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-host-32.exe.so
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/bin/airwave-manager
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/airwave-manager.png
-- Installing: /downloads/airwave-master/share/applications/airwave-manager.desktop

That is the root directory of my system where those directories where created. Now I'm not sure where to copy all that. To /usr/bin? How about the .so plugins?

So on the risk of breaking Carla, I purged all of my previous Wine installations and just installed the latest dev version, now Native Access runs, but there's a bug with the directories and I should compile Wine by hand to override that...

About building: first run the bash script now provided with the VST SDK that will copy vst2 sdk stuff to the vst3 directory, then move everything in the vst3 directory one level down.

That way I got to the point where the make at least tries to proceed.

I had to remove a line in src/host/host.h to:
"#include </opt/wine-devel/include/wine/windows/windows.h>"
Since I now have only the dev version of Wine installed.

But I just got: "ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (/opt/wine-devel/lib64/wine/libwinecrt0.a(exe_entry.o)) to format elf32-i386 (airwave-host-32.WqklSw.o) is not supported
"

Wine-stable from WineHQ does not even provide a windows.h

So as of now it seems Airwave can't be compiled at all?

Is the project abandoned? I didn't see any updates to the problems people have been having lately.

OK, the earlier suggestion to use WineHQ was the best option, I'm using developement version 3.4 and all of my libraries load and work fine, as well as Reaktor 6. I had to download cracked installers since I can't use NI installers, but at least I can use the things now.

The sad thing is, that I can't use Carla now, since it needs wine-rt which is an ancient version 2.x, and installing that automatically removes my newer development version :P Ah this is such a mess... Now I just need to be careful not to change anything :D

Native Access should be ok with wine-devel 3.5 and wine-staging 3.5 ( and a msvcp140.dll override)

Waves Central is ok with wine staging (2.x, 3.x) and an install of robocopy.exe (and a a mfc42u.dll 32 bit override ) and a few basic reg additions

Add the following environment string variables under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

PROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)

PUBLIC C:\users\Public

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm new at this. Anyone know how to run a Voxengo plugin using wine staging ? I just installed wine staging for Linux Mint 18, no problems, then I downloaded a free Voxengo plugin, the Overtone GEQ which also installed correctly. The .dll was installed as ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Steinberg/VST2/Voxengo/Overtone GEQ.dll

So how to run and use it within Bitwig ?

Looks like airwave is a simple choice. I got the airwave-master, and then at compilation time:

Code: Select all

In file included from /Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.cpp:1:0:
/Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.h:7:34: fatal error: wine/windows/windows.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
winegcc: g++ failed
% dpkg -L wine-staging | grep "*.h"

There's no such file included in wine-staging. Nor in this one that was also installed as part of wine-staging:

% dpkg -L wine64-development | grep *.h

Where would that windows.h file come from ?

Cheers.

I just installed Span+, both 32 and 64 bit versions work. I'm using latest Wine developement version, Ubuntu 18.04 beta.

Did somebody have luck with Alchemy 1.5 or 1.55?

I tried both my original installed and a cracked version, both result in a: "Unable to determine VST plugin architecture", I'm using Airwave manager 1.3.3. Ubuntu 18.04, Wine Developement version 3.6.

I remember it used to work some years ago in my KX Studio installation.

UPDATE: I did not go with airwave. I use linVST, with wine-staging. Looks simple enough. As I posted elesewhere, all Voxengo 64-bit plugins work nicely, as well as Synplant, Microtonic and Echobode.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
mevla wrote:Hello,

I'm afraid I'm new at this. Anyone know how to run a Voxengo plugin using wine staging ? I just installed wine staging for Linux Mint 18, no problems, then I downloaded a free Voxengo plugin, the Overtone GEQ which also installed correctly. The .dll was installed as ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Steinberg/VST2/Voxengo/Overtone GEQ.dll

So how to run and use it within Bitwig ?

Looks like airwave is a simple choice. I got the airwave-master, and then at compilation time:

Code: Select all (#)

In file included from /Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.cpp:1:0:
/Share/src/airwave-master/src/host/host.h:7:34: fatal error: wine/windows/windows.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
winegcc: g++ failed
% dpkg -L wine-staging | grep "*.h"

There's no such file included in wine-staging. Nor in this one that was also installed as part of wine-staging:

% dpkg -L wine64-development | grep *.h

Where would that windows.h file come from ?

Cheers.
Hi mevla,
In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (with kxstudio repository) I had your same problem and I solved by installing "wine-rt-dev" and "wine-rt-dbg", because I use wine-rt from kxstudio repo.
The windows.h file then appears to be in / usr / include / wine / windows
Hello !

Return to “Bitwig”