Plugin Managment

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish we could decide which plugins we want visible in the browser.
Same with bitwig plugins. Also possibility to change what type of
effect or instrument it is. Like categorize ourself.

Cheers

I have mine all categorised just how I want them in Bitwig (and my other hosts) by using a custom VST folder containing symlinks (Symbolic links - not shortcuts/aliases) to the plugins I want organised by subfolder into meaningful categories. It also enables me to have exactly the same plugin organisation in Bitwig, Live, Reaper and Tracktion (but I can even make separate plugin sets for different hosts if I want).

I use this tool to make the symlinks (I think there are similar tools for Windows):

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

then all you need to do is collect and organise them how you want into their own folder and rename them to remove the symlink extension (eg Kontakt.vst symlink becomes Kontakt.vst) - this makes the host treat them just like a regular plugin.

Thank you for this tip!! Works like a charm!

i started making instrument and fx 'modules'. e.g. samplers, distortion, eq in the form of instrument and fx selector presets. I just populate the window with the plugins i use in that instrument/fx category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDKEhTs1u0

Collections work for me. I've also filtered out some of the view options so the browser isn't so busy. So for example, when I hit b on an empty device lane it goes right to my instruments collection which of course contains all the instruments I put in it and nothing more. After I've selected an instrument Bitwig remembers what I'm likely to use next down the chain, and brings up the proper collection. From there I can choose to go into any of my collections which are all categorized (on the left most panel) and populated by only what I want in them. It's a breeze, no need to search through tons of plugins or anything. I do the same thing for all my samples, user presets, ect. Everything goes into a (static) collection.
-JH

I just wish I could filter out the "Location" section in the side browser. I never use it. How come we can filter out collection, file type, device type, category and creator, but not location?

Some companies install 64-bit, 32-bit and VST3 version of the same plugin.
Normally I'd like to show just the 64-bit version and hide the others.
Not sure what would be the best way to do this.

A simple hide-list and a "hidden"-category would be great. Right-Click in Browser -> hide

escapednb wrote:A simple hide-list and a "hidden"-category would be great. Right-Click in Browser -> hide
+1
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

+2

Full flexibility to include/exclude from browser would be great, but second best I’d take a click box option to automatically only show the VST3 64 bit version (or whatever you select) and hide the multitude of 32, 64, vst 2 etc that plug ins install. I also seem to get two of each type sometimes, including when I add them to a collection. Haven’t tried to debug that yet, so could be user error

Why not just remove the plugins you're not going to/don't want to use? I mean it's on you to do whatever you want obviously, but if I'm offered a choice when installing I don't install AU's, VST3, ect. (mac) Only what I'll be using. If I'm not given a choice, I manually remove them right after installation. I have a VST folder, with folders arranged by company name inside. No other audio/DAW related plugins in my system.

Of course, if you're using multiple DAWs and for some reason want to use, for example, VST3 on one DAW but not the others, fine. It makes some kind of sense to keep plugins you don't intend on using. But otherwise, why keep them installed?

I'm not against a filter BTW <------
-JH

Let's start with things like saving browser state. I tired of collapsing all the folders every time i open Bitwig :dog:
Last edited by Enrize on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

^I admit, that's an annoyance to me. :lol: Only because I'm a neat freak when it comes to my work space.
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”