License model no way !!!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Head Under Water wrote:Dom, you realize that with "bugfix updates as we used to do" you still haven't fixed something like the white screen of death, and that's been in there for way over a year now. Just this week I had 3 complete crashes on minor projects. I get that that is one difficult example, but apparently sometimes fixes take way longer than 12 months. And what if a feature is coming in shortly before your plan expires but this feature causes bugs which you are then stuck with?
You can't be serious about having bug-fixes dependend on this model, please tell me I'm missing something here.
White-screen fix will be in 1.3.16, basically ready.

The problem with the bugs is the same when going from e.g. from 1 to 2 without a yearly model: 2 is out, 1 will not be developed further, bugs stay in 1. The change of the model does not change that.

The positive thing is: the software grows more steadily and stable, it is not like a new major version comes and has a lot of new bugs because a lot of new features have been added at once. It will be more like constantly adding features one by one and fine-tuning them.
Trust me, i'm pretty excited - and i'm actually taking care of technical support teams of DAW/Audio companies for about two decades now.

Cheers,
Dom

It'd be nice if Premiere Badge and 1.0 Badge holders got some concessions on this new pricing model. IMO the reality of what badge holders have actually received hasn't lived up to the "special offers, rewards and exclusive downloads" that were promised, so this would be one way to offer something meaningful.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I love the new license model! Great move :tu: Of course if you will really add new features frequently.

Well, I certainly understand some of the sentiment here, but having bugfixes separate from features isn't realistic if you think about it.
Every user - depending on his or her last renewal - will have a different version that is his/her last one. Now to continue providing bugfixes but not features, Bitwig would basically have to compile a different version for every user - which not only would be a total mess, but also may introduce new problems.

I totally hate the Adobe CC subscription myself and no longer update their software because of it since CS6. They basically "enslave" you to their ecosystem since you lose usage of the software completely when your subscription runs out. That is nuts.
I have little problems with rent-to-own systems or how Sonar does it though, which basically is the same as Bitwig now. You pay for a year, then own the last version released in that time and you can renew or pass as you see fit. For me that is little different from a normal major/minor update plan.

As for bugfixes: I have used many applications where fixes only came with the next major version, so this is not really different from the new Bitwig plan. There aren't many companies that update older versions with bugfixes either once a new version is out. It's simply too complicated and ineffective.

I personally will probably update/renew depending on if I have the money to spend and need/like a given feature enough to make it worthwhile, just like I do with any other software I have. I like the new modulators and the GUI enhancements a lot, but my main interest is the modular system - I love nodes - so I might wait a bit... :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I'm worried about new users,seems very costly for 12 months of updates

I really dont understand why people feel so threatened. As if there were evil companies who just try to steal our money and betray customers. Thats absolutely ridiculous.

Were talking about the most innovative DAW on the market from people who take a big risk and responsibility to run that company. So if they think this model is better .... then it is better!!
One of the main reasons is that we now can introduce bigger features a lot more often with small updates instead of collecting and holding them back for major releases like a 2.0 or a 3.0 - it might worry some when reading this, but i'm totally looking forward to it as it actually is a nice change because it will allow us to grow Bitwig Studio on a way more regular basis and introduce exciting stuff a lot more often and frequently.
I think thats just the point. And I feel a bit dissapointed about this insidious community.

fun seeing all dedicated v1.0 users getting upset! Smart move bitwig. Loling back to studio one enjoying free updates

I dont understand the greedy things mentioned here.
Djeez, poeple dont work for free.
When you want everything for a penny, Thats greedy.

Coockie1176ln wrote:fun seeing all dedicated v1.0 users getting upset! Smart move bitwig. Loling back to studio one enjoying free updates
Yeah, good luck. Heard they will introduce a new arrow somewhere in late spring.

btw: i´m a 1.0 user

Coockie1176ln wrote:fun seeing all dedicated v1.0 users getting upset! Smart move bitwig. Loling back to studio one enjoying free updates
Yeah well: Studio One Producer 2 to Studio One Professional 3: $199.00
I did do it... but did i get that much more?

Edit: what nortle says good luck and till springtime.
Last edited by codec17 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow. Been looking forward to 2.0 for awhile. I'm on Linux and was really excited when Bitwig announced they were supporting that platform.

$170 however seems way to steep for 2.0. If 1.0 was a bit more feature rich I probably wouldn't feel so bad but there is just a lot of basic stuff missing from 1.0. We, the 1.0 owners, purchased licenses and helped support you and now it feels like we're being punished.

I know IntelliJ came out with a license model similar to this and there was an uproar and they ended up changing things after listening to their core users. I hope Bitwig will do the same.

Guess I need to go checkout Ardour again and hope Reaper on Linux actually happens :(

codec17 wrote:
Yeah well: Studio One Producer 2 to Studio One Professional 3: $199.00
I did do it... but did i get that much more?
well studio one makes more frequent updates for FREE. but u keep getting updates right without having to pay within one year. I still feel studio one v3.3 is more full then bitwig 2.0 has displayed so far. i hate the license model bitwig threw out. what i like about bitwig is its creativity but studio one is not as near but i can still do a lot without needing to go advance about my sound designing with different devices. which is what i feel bitwig is about
Last edited by Coockie1176ln on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm completely okay with the price and structure. What gets me is that I bought it back during 1.1 I think it was didn't like it got rid of it, an just now during black Friday got it again an really like it but I feel a bit ripped off I mean if it even had been full price that week I still was going to pick it up I just feel like even a half price upgrade would have been nice, at least for this first year I'll gladly pay 169$ after that. Its just as a customer I feel a bit taken advantage of.

An I know the cutoff date was the 10th of Dec. It's just why have a *influx of sales and request them to pay again not even 2 months from original purchase. Essentially I feel cut off. :cry:

*Don't know the actual sales numbers

I dont get the people here just accepting new license deals. most are against it which is logical. But one company change, then you´ll see next company jump on that. How long will it take until we cant buy plugins, like waves having to pay upgrades plans, but for more companies. This is the black cheep of the market. Bitwig isnt an evil company, an company isnt evil but i still feel we have supported their visions which was not this model. But what they told that only pay for upgrades. They have said that. Do we pay only for upgrades now. no. So why accepting bullshit is beyond my belief.

Return to “Bitwig”