Bitwig users: Mac vs Windows 7 vs Windos 10?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shadiradio wrote:I use OS X and Windows 7 for both work and play (music production, sound design, and game development). I much prefer OS X but both have their merits. Specifically, for music production, I've found:
  • Not having to deal with the Windows registry cruft over time will save you headaches down the road. OS X has a different approach - there is no registry, so stray files and small data (that don't do anything at all) accumulate in system folders - but it will never slow down your machine the more you install / uninstall over time (unless you are running out of hard drive space).
  • MIDI support on Windows is an afterthought - if you connect a lot of devices, or even hot swap a lot of devices, be prepared for issues down the road with the registry not recognizing or allowing assignment of new devices. Some manufacturers (Korg) supply tools just to get around this deficiency.
  • Being able to create any number of physical sound devices into one aggregate audio device on OS X and use it system-wide (where any audio software or DAW can recognize it) is incredible.
  • There isn't anything on Windows that is easier to setup than Soundflower for virtual cables. I'm not saying solutions don't exist - but it's very much like Rewire vs. Jack in terms of ease of use.
I've gone from Mac to PC and all the above is true. macOS is a much tidier experience.

However, Apple have a habit of pulling what they see as obsolete technologys from macOS. This is a massive pain if you like plundering KVR and other places for older and obscure plugins. For this reason, I'll be sticking with Windows as my Bitwig machine for a while.

"However, Apple have a habit of pulling what they see as obsolete technologys from macOS."

Tell me about it. Just spent several days moving folks from PPTP to L2TP. I won't utter the names I directed towards the company for this little bit of fun.

PPTP has been busted for a looooooooong time. Even Microsoft is anti PPTP.

http://www.h-online.com/security/featur ... 16768.html
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Similar thread around this time last year. Full Circle ;)

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=455441&p=6360091& ... l#p6360091

I'd take a look at Linux if more developers were to support it. There seems to be more than usual anti-Apple sentiment around at the moment and it's certainly becoming more justified. Linux is missing a trick imo.

jonljacobi wrote:"However, Apple have a habit of pulling what they see as obsolete technologys from macOS."

Tell me about it. Just spent several days moving folks from PPTP to L2TP. I won't utter the names I directed towards the company for this little bit of fun.
I wasn't particularly thinking of that but certainly a lot of dependencies that VSTs I use have been removed over the years.

It must be a nightmare for developers. Every year I get the same upgrade warning email from Avid, NI, Bitwig, Steinberg etc.

billcarroll wrote:PPTP has been busted for a looooooooong time. Even Microsoft is anti PPTP.

http://www.h-online.com/security/featur ... 16768.html

Yeah, but none of them really needed the security, just the convenience.

digitalfix wrote:I'd take a look at Linux if more developers were to support it. There seems to be more than usual anti-Apple sentiment around at the moment and it's certainly becoming more justified. Linux is missing a trick imo.
Absolutely agree! Linux should have a better audio integration/preparation so manufacturers made all soft for it.
If Linux could be the way I wouldn't have a doubt!

In the next Windows 10 update "Creators update", Windows 10 gets a CoreAudio-like support for USB 2 -devices. This will be interesting to see how this affects (if it affects) stability and performance.
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

lehtiniemi wrote:In the next Windows 10 update "Creators update", Windows 10 gets a CoreAudio-like support for USB 2 -devices. This will be interesting to see how this affects (if it affects) stability and performance.
Link? I can find info about the creators update but don't see anything about a core audio equivalent.

WXLF wrote:
lehtiniemi wrote:In the next Windows 10 update "Creators update", Windows 10 gets a CoreAudio-like support for USB 2 -devices. This will be interesting to see how this affects (if it affects) stability and performance.
Link? I can find info about the creators update but don't see anything about a core audio equivalent.
This is from September: http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-usb-audio-2-0/

Basically what they do is they are including a native USB 2.0 driver with the next big update (Creators update, I guess it's out within some months or so). By CoreAudio-like support I'm referring the native support for USB 2.0 audio interfaces that in most cases seems to replace the 3rd party driver (from what I've read from the forums). I'm not saying it includes the features of CoreAudio, just the ease of use and unification of the audio platform for Windows, hopefully. It's been lacking for so long. Also, I have no idea how it works well when doing pro-audio, but I'm really hoping it would bring stability and audio-priorization since they probably know how to use their own audio stacks.
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

Woohoo! I'm very happy that's on the way.

J-909 wrote:
digitalfix wrote:I'd take a look at Linux if more developers were to support it. There seems to be more than usual anti-Apple sentiment around at the moment and it's certainly becoming more justified. Linux is missing a trick imo.
Absolutely agree! Linux should have a better audio integration/preparation so manufacturers made all soft for it.
aside from ubuntu studio which is tryin to cater EVRY creative out there, i simply havent seen any dedicated audio-centered linux distro yet. which is tbh very peculiar.
i tried ubuntustudio on a somewhat older hp pavilion g6 laptop (not the best hardware for it i know^^) i got for free, but it wasnt very pleasing (i dont like xfce desktop at all). the latency was aweful.

anttimaatteri wrote:
J-909 wrote:
aside from ubuntu studio which is tryin to cater EVRY creative out there, i simply havent seen any dedicated audio-centered linux distro yet. which is tbh very peculiar.
i tried ubuntustudio on a somewhat older hp pavilion g6 laptop (not the best hardware for it i know^^) i got for free, but it wasnt very pleasing (i dont like xfce desktop at all). the latency was aweful.
It's just Ubuntu with a bunch of pre installed programs isn't it?

Budgie looks like a decent user experience.

digitalfix wrote:
anttimaatteri wrote:
J-909 wrote:
It's just Ubuntu with a bunch of pre installed programs isn't it?

Budgie looks like a decent user experience.
all in all yes. softwarepackaged buntu for creatives. whatever that means

Return to “Bitwig”