When Bitwig adds comping, what kind of implementation would you like to see?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to be TOTALLY off the wall with this response, but considering I've used virtually every host, bitwig forces me to get the part right in the first place. That's why I re-bought it, because I can simply undo/do until I get something good.

I like "play recorded" and then if it sucks, redo it. Bitwig doesn't have anyway of doing comping anyways (as far as I know) so it's pointless to simply stack them up for me, ymmv.

Used to go in and edit stuff a lot more... like playing a midi part and then tweaking. But I find I like results better when I just re do my playing.

Also, I'm not trying to criticize what anyone else is doing, but I value authenticity and realness. Today, everything can easily be edited to 'perfection'. I consider that perfection its own flaw, and a big one. Something valuable is lost.

I'm not against adding comping, but it is not a priority for me.

As the question was: which implementation would you like to see? I personally like the comping workflow as present in i.e. Reaper. But anything that would allow for a quick and easy "take this slice from this take and that slice from that take" workflow would make me happy. The current workarounds are OK for recording takes, but they are "clumsy" for the select and edit part.

+1

All of the above are totally valid comments. And I'm definitely aware that comping isn't a huge priority for some producers. However, to compete with anything getting spins on CHR, a guy needs to comp vocals. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast.

And though there are a lot of fellas out there looking for realism and authenticity, there are also a lot of guys out there that simply need to be able to comp vocal takes in a fast and efficient way without too much dicking around. I think one would be hard pressed to find anything on CHR that hasn't been comped like crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love loose takes, musicianship, off-the-cuff takes and stuff that hasn't been quantized to hell...but there's also something beautiful about a tight, perfect comped track. CHR just demands the tight stuff.

To each his own, I suppose. Just one of those things every DAW should have available. I'm sure Bitwig will follow suit in due course. It's a killer program. I wouldn't dream of going back to Cubase.

As an aside, I'm sure it couldn't hurt the Bitwig brand to have a couple cats using the software produce charting material. Just sayin'. And comping would definitely help.

chadmius wrote:All of the above are totally valid comments. And I'm definitely aware that comping isn't a huge priority for some producers. However, to compete with anything getting spins on CHR, a guy needs to comp vocals. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast.

And though there are a lot of fellas out there looking for realism and authenticity, there are also a lot of guys out there that simply need to be able to comp vocal takes in a fast and efficient way without too much dicking around. I think one would be hard pressed to find anything on CHR that hasn't been comped like crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love loose takes, musicianship, off-the-cuff takes and stuff that hasn't been quantized to hell...but there's also something beautiful about a tight, perfect comped track. CHR just demands the tight stuff.

To each his own, I suppose. Just one of those things every DAW should have available. I'm sure Bitwig will follow suit in due course. It's a killer program. I wouldn't dream of going back to Cubase.

As an aside, I'm sure it couldn't hurt the Bitwig brand to have a couple cats using the software produce charting material. Just sayin'. And comping would definitely help.
What is CHR?

Oh, and just to reiterate, I'm happy with comping being added... Everyone has the choice to use it or not, and I'm sure I'd use it sometimes. There are other things I'd rather have first... but hey :)

IAmLostForWords wrote:As the question was: which implementation would you like to see? I personally like the comping workflow as present in i.e. Reaper. But anything that would allow for a quick and easy "take this slice from this take and that slice from that take" workflow would make me happy. The current workarounds are OK for recording takes, but they are "clumsy" for the select and edit part.

+1
You can kind of already do that with multilayer editing, just select 2 or more tracks and it's pretty easy to slice and dice and then move segments around, this is how I currently work.....what's really missing is simply an option to record takes to a new lane when looped in linear mode.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pdxindy wrote:What is CHR?

Oh, and just to reiterate, I'm happy with comping being added... Everyone has the choice to use it or not, and I'm sure I'd use it sometimes. There are other things I'd rather have first... but hey :)
CHR = Contemporary Hit Radio

Basically Top 40. I'm sure there is some charting material where comping hasn't been used, but it's ultra rare. One example that comes to mind is Closer by Chainsmokers...and only kinda. Drew's vox were sent to Jordan "DJ Swivel" Young to mix as fully processed stems (my guess is he either comped these himself in Ableton or he just sent single passes), whereas Halsey's vox were heavily comped. That's what I understood anyways. Either way, comping is pretty much required these days. I'm getting by without, and I think I'm producing some stuff that is competative. But comping is just another tool in the toolbox to get you that much closer.
SLiC wrote:You can kind of already do that with multilayer editing, just select 2 or more tracks and it's pretty easy to slice and dice and then move segments around, this is how I currently work.....what's really missing is simply an option to record takes to a new lane when looped in linear mode.
Completely agree that we really need some sort of lane system. I love what I've seen in Logic and Reaper.

Track comping is a huge feature that would make Bitwig usable for me in a professional situation (and far more usable in general if done well).
Right now I use Bitwig for my own creative production (along with Maschine) but it's pointless for me to try to use it when working with other people. Track comping would probably bridge this gap significantly.
I believe the other thread around here regarding being able to record in the arranger window without wiping all the arranging and production work you've done would be essential for this feature too

babel2 wrote:Track comping is a huge feature that would make Bitwig usable for me in a professional situation (and far more usable in general if done well).
Right now I use Bitwig for my own creative production (along with Maschine) but it's pointless for me to try to use it when working with other people. Track comping would probably bridge this gap significantly.
I believe the other thread around here regarding being able to record in the arranger window without wiping all the arranging and production work you've done would be essential for this feature too
+1 for all of that. Although anything wiped in the arranger window isn't truly gone, having to dig it out of the recorded files is basically as fun as being tortured by a big fat guy with a nerd fetish.

chadmius wrote:
+1 for all of that. Although anything wiped in the arranger window isn't truly gone, having to dig it out of the recorded files is basically as fun as being tortured by a big fat guy with a nerd fetish.
It's not just audio content you lose, it's all the time spent editing a complex pop arrangement.
This includes adjustments to certain bars of long midi loops, intricate audio chops, automation etc etc
Not to mention it's probably impossible to get it back the way you had it if you completely lose it... even if it was a brilliant live performance to begin with that you have tweaked and added to.

Okay, I'd like to see track comping and it would be a time saver. BUT. There are ways around this that have been used for years, nay, decades. There is a tendency among some in this forum to talk about amenities as if they were necessities.

I suppose that depends on how one uses the software. What is an amenity to one might be a necessity to another. To each his or her own.

What you "need" is a way to do something. If there is a way to do that something, then the necessity is met. If you're talking about a more convenient way to do something, that's an amenity.

jonljacobi wrote:What you "need" is a way to do something. If there is a way to do that something, then the necessity is met. If you're talking about a more convenient way to do something, that's an amenity.
Yep, I agree with you... all these people whining about a better workflow and using these tools that they don't "need" to make music... tutt

Personally, I also feel that using Bitwig, computers, existing harmonic theory (ie existing scales/modes), and even equal temperament is just plain cheating... So I like to weave a string out of my own pubes, then freely strum that using my dong...and just feel out which notes work together. Desiring anything more than that is just piggy-backing on all the great mixing engineers none of us will ever hope to equal because we're all huge whiny babies. What happened to the good old days when a guy could just jerk off in a cave with his buddies and just be satisfied with that? Damned freeloaders dfegad :roll:

The only 2 things I personally would like to see added are:

1) separate tempo per track
2) comping

Return to “Bitwig”