Importing tracks from Ableton Live

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

This is an "exploratory" post, as I'm not an actual BitWig user.

I'm an Ableton Live user that is sick of Windows and uses it only because Ableton Live is not on Linux.

One of the things that I would have to manage if I was to come to BitWig would be the import of my Ableton Live tracks to BitWig.

Of course I understand that a total import with everything in it would be impossible (or, I guess so).

But then, what would be the closest to an import I could have ?

Importing the tracks with their loaded VSTs ?
Importing the midi clips with just the notes ? Or even with the automations ? (I guess not)
Or would it be importing audio files only ?

Is there some script out there to help with this ?
Could we think of one ? (please start a different discussion to discuss detailed scripting possibilities ! I'd like to stay more general here).

Thanks for your inputs.

I think this may help a lot of Ableton Live users who want to switch to linux (and god knows there are, I'm coming over from the Ableton forums right now).

I think the closest you're gonna get is exporting midi notes from ableton and importing that onto bitwig clips and working from there...

Or maybe for the time being on windows use ableton LINK?
No experience with it btw.
Or bounce all tracks of song in ableton? And import in bitwig?

Probably, exporting the midi tracks, then importing them on BWS and replicate the plugins/presets you have on them.

I also only have Windows on a PC because of games, I do everything else on Linux.

Closest you can get is bringing over the MIDI clips and audio files. You'll have to replicate all routing, device chains (incl. VSTs) and automation :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Luckily, the Bitwig workflow is pretty fast when you get used to it. Did it for some projects of mine.

The extracting from Ableton is the harder thing, because you have to export each MIDI clip indiviually (as far as I know), bounce out the audio files, save the plugin-presets an so on. It's harder to recreate the internal FX and Instruments so bouncing out audio stems is probably the best way to go.

I'm very late, but thanks all for your replies. I guess boucing is the easiest for finished works indeed.

Will follow BitWig's evolution and see what I do.

Return to “Bitwig”