no phase-4 presets? [solved]

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know presets are for noobs, but i am one and after making a few sets i was wondering were those phase4 presets are. are there any? i can´t find any. but i read there were some in beta.

purple phase is in my brain
lately things just don't seem the same
Last edited by anttimaatteri on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You mean commercial ones?

ferranastals wrote:You mean commercial ones?

nope. the ones usually coming with the instrument itself, mostly to showcase the possibilities.

Download them via the Dashboard. Packages.
-JH

JHernandez wrote:Download them via the Dashboard. Packages.
which tells me that its already installed.
i can´t see any preset for phase 4 in the browser. in fact there isn´t even a phase 4 instrument listed in the preset list (ok now theres is because of my selfmade presets which are listed correctly, but if i delete them there is none).
Last edited by anttimaatteri on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anttimaatteri wrote:I know presets are for noobs, ...
I am one. I'm also one regarding the guitar. Alas I never spent the time to build my own guitars. What a noob. :D

ok this is it.
im officially done.

this whole process of reinstalling the packages wiped out my whole own custom presets, which happen to be in the same main folder. i havent even put it there by myself. the software did it by itself on saving the preset of the isntrument.
this is unbearable and a no go for any datahandling whatsoever...

THX FOR SHITASS NOTHING...

and a warning to all users. dont put them in the same folder. or reinstall the packages when u have own custom data in same folder.

software which is wiping whole folders without even asking or making it transparent...geez this is 1990 win3.0 or what?

fuckmyass they are ALL gone....fu

Ouch, this is indeed very bad by design.
I feel sorry for you. :(
Bitwig should fix this asap.
Rob van Hees

i am happy enough to have at least the presets of all other non-native instruments like u-he. they store it somewhere else...in the pluginfolders which at least remains untouched.
even the really old bitwig native instruments or effects presets from a year ago or more are gone.

only presets which are stored within a last save of a project file can be resaved after opening the project. at least...roundabout 1/10 of all presets.

What OS?

I put all my user presets in "collections" and these are stored in Documents/Bitwig/Library on Mac OS, a different directory from the factory presets and everything else. I tend to back it up after every session when and if I add to it as a precaution. I also regularly, on a scheduled, back up my drive.

Sorry that happened to you.

Back ups. Always back up.
-JH

Yeah even if of course BitWig should absolutely don't do that, you cannot backup your music stuff often enough. More than an year without a backup? Then a data loss was bound to happen one way or another.

If Bitwig is doing that, I find it extremely serious. I started to look at Phase-4 and saved a customization of a preset yesterday. So I checked it out...

A while ago I made a symlink to a folder on another drive. Bitwig is using that. I made the symlink because after asking Bitwig it turned out that there was no Bitwig config option to point elsewhere than the user directory. I store nothing in the /home/user/ directory. Everything is on other drives.

Code: Select all

/home/user/Bitwig Studio
  Library -> /B3/Bitwig Studio/Library/
And so the preset I created yesterday is in there:

/B3/Bitwig Studio/Library/Presets/Phase-4/
  N6-Banshee.bwpreset
Actually there are a few things I've created that are in this local Presets directory:

Filterscape/
 FX Layer/
 Hive/
 Instrument Selector/
 Note Velocity/
 Phase-4/
 Presets/
The Hive and Filterscape presets are device configuration rather that u-he presets (which are stored in the u-he plugin directories). Eg. call up Hive with a preset already loaded.

So everything looks fairly secure. I'm saying 'fairly' as I haven't looked at the Debian install script to see what it does. If I'm in doubt, I can always take a look at the install script and quickly see if it will mess up 'my' local directories before installing.

This said, I see that collections are still stored in the user directory. I should change that one of these days and put them on another drive to be included in the regular backsups.

/home/user/.BitwigStudio/library/
 favorites.collection
 presets/

i simply dont expect that to happen in a modern day software.

if i press a "store preset" menu option, and there is no option popping up for next options WHERE to install it (other than a once made general storage for some/any data - which is tbh a first fault for itself in the settings), it just saves it there, then i dont expect that these folders are being wiped by a reinstall.
this is an absolute no-go. its insanely sloppy handling of data.

and tbh i can not believe that it was win7 itself which deleted it. or my fault. or whatever. i only trusted a process considered save by the way a software is handling data on a simple RE-install (which even stated that it will reorganize the old data too during that process!)

i still have every preset from other plugins. if i imagine losing these ones too...i would totally go nuts. i cant even think about...

so its not enough to have settings/locations "my library" and then ONE place to save "YOUR OWN". whatever categories of different data was meant.
so if you happen to chose the same directory for the packages?
or if "your own" data happens to be saved in a subfolder of the main folder for the packages?
you can not say "hey dude, you have chosen the same folders, its your fold, that its deleted. be a prO and save it elsewhere or back it up like mad".

imagine this shit happens on a simple reinstall/repair of bitwig studio itself?

If I create a preset in phase 4 it's stored in

C:\Users\myuser\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Library\Presets\Phase-4

which is a totally different folder from where the library presets are stored by default:

C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Bitwig Studio\installed-packages\1.0\presets\Bitwig\Bitwig Factory Device Presets\Phase-4

So it's quite impossible that you delete your own created presets by reinstalling the library unless you stored them in the library folder.

Sorry to hear about your loss of presets. I've had my share of Bitwig Blues too "thanks" to the not-very-user-friendly Sampler preset handling (that is, if working with a central samples folder on some drive. Which actually is the way to go with today's fast SSD drives that aren't very big for storage). I've learned the hard way to stay safe by using a big USB stick and work on two machines; a studio desktop and a laptop. After a session on one machine, where I have saved presets to my own collection, I move the USB stick to the other machine and drag over all presets for the actual instrument. This keeps my custom library updated and also have an extra backup of the current version on the USB stick.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Return to “Bitwig”