help me understand how Bitwig maps controllers

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is driving me a little nuts, only cause I don't comprehend what is happening internally and its causes continual problems for me. So if I have an instrument in Bitwig, there are some parameters which don't map usably for me. sometimes they map smoothly, and other knobs will seem to jump between 2 extreme values. Usually, with some tweaking, I can get them to work by compressing the value range in Bitwig's mapping panel and/or changing the mode of the knob to relative in the Komplete Kontrol Editor. This could also be a keyboard issue/question. I'm using a Komplete Kontrol SS61 using knobs which are by default mapped absolutely (with absolute values from 0 to 127) and can be switched to relative.

However! And this is what is driving me crazy, no matter what mode the keyboard is in, or what parameter I'm trying to map, doing the same mappings in Ableton Live 9 works perfectly every time without any tweaking. So every time (often) I have an instrument I need to do a lot of mappings and run into this issue, I have to go back to Live 9.

Is Live detecting the data incoming and adjusting how the data will be calculated so I get smooth travel out of the knob range? Or is Bitwig doing something clever or buggy, or what?

Thanks for any clarification about this.

best,

Greg

It's been a while since I used Bitwig...in Ableton Live under MIDI preferences, there are options for Pickup/Value Scaling/None in terms of how controllers react when selecting a plugin. Maybe check this Ableton setting and see if there's an equivalent in Bitwig? That wouldn't affect the absolute/relative range, though.
killmaster wrote:This is driving me a little nuts, only cause I don't comprehend what is happening internally and its causes continual problems for me. So if I have an instrument in Bitwig, there are some parameters which don't map usably for me. sometimes they map smoothly, and other knobs will seem to jump between 2 extreme values. Usually, with some tweaking, I can get them to work by compressing the value range in Bitwig's mapping panel and/or changing the mode of the knob to relative in the Komplete Kontrol Editor. This could also be a keyboard issue/question. I'm using a Komplete Kontrol SS61 using knobs which are by default mapped absolutely (with absolute values from 0 to 127) and can be switched to relative.

However! And this is what is driving me crazy, no matter what mode the keyboard is in, or what parameter I'm trying to map, doing the same mappings in Ableton Live 9 works perfectly every time without any tweaking. So every time (often) I have an instrument I need to do a lot of mappings and run into this issue, I have to go back to Live 9.

Is Live detecting the data incoming and adjusting how the data will be calculated so I get smooth travel out of the knob range? Or is Bitwig doing something clever or buggy, or what?

Thanks for any clarification about this.

best,

Greg

Winstontaneous wrote:It's been a while since I used Bitwig...in Ableton Live under MIDI preferences, there are options for Pickup/Value Scaling/None in terms of how controllers react when selecting a plugin. Maybe check this Ableton setting and see if there's an equivalent in Bitwig? That wouldn't affect the absolute/relative range, though.
Thanks. I looked and couldn't find those options in MIDI preferences though in Live. And don't see any way to change those options in Bitwig.

Return to “Bitwig”