No "ghost" clips??? Am I missing something here?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please tell me that Bitwig can do this, Cubase had it 20 years ago:

Say I drag or record a single clip from the clip launcher into multiple locations in the arrangement, and lengthen those arrangement clips so it loops x amount of times. If I the edit the original clip in the launcher are the edits applied to the copies in the arrangement?

I'm still on the fence about investing money and time in Bitwig after experiencing Ableton's mess for too long but this feature is pretty much crucial...

No Ghost Clips in Bitwig...

Treebase wrote:
I'm still on the fence about investing money and time in Bitwig after experiencing Ableton's mess for too long but this feature is pretty much crucial...

Lol, right, these DAWs are all "messes" because they don't cater to you personally, cool.

Neither Bitwig nor Ableton features the "ghost clips" you apparently think are so rudimentary.

Guess it's time to go back to Cubase! :tu:

Seriously, can anyone point me to good examples of "ghost" clips usage?

Even in DAWs where it's supported - it's so rarely needed, that it's actually easier to re-duplicate content of clips/timeline than figure out what exactly is instanced and what's not.

mholloway wrote:
Treebase wrote:

Lol, right, these DAWs are all "messes" because they don't cater to you personally, cool.

Neither Bitwig nor Ableton features the "ghost clips" you apparently think are so rudimentary.

Guess it's time to go back to Cubase! :tu:
Guess it's time for you to go back to Kansas.

bolba wrote:Seriously, can anyone point me to good examples of "ghost" clips usage?

Even in DAWs where it's supported - it's so rarely needed, that it's actually easier to re-duplicate content of clips/timeline than figure out what exactly is instanced and what's not.
It really depends on the music style, though. For a lot of electronic stuff - where variation comes from modulating instrument parameters and effects, rather than actual notes - this can be very useful, because the same clip or clip sequences can be repeated numerous times throughout the project. But even for a rock song, where drums, bass or supporting harmonies parts are 'drawn' into a clip or recorded it can come in handy if you'd decide you want to process or change something that's already instantiated multiple times across the timeline.

The fact that you might not needed it doesn't mean others don't.

Also, this wouldn't take anything from your workflow, while improving others' so why be negative about it?

I don't personally see use in audio comping, musical notation or improved audio stretching, but you won't see me going to threads where people request it to criticise them.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

What about simply looping that clip in the clip launcher, while having your arrangement play as usual. Same effect, just not visually "ghosted" isn't it?

bolba wrote:Seriously, can anyone point me to good examples of "ghost" clips usage?

It harks back to the workflow of patterns... You've laid out a whole load of clips across the arrangement, and you want to alter one of them to move a note - with ghost clips they all update instantly, but without that you have to replace (or alter) everywhere the clip was previously placed.

Look at the new Pattern editor in Studio One 4 as a way it can be handled, similar to FL Studio and the long-gone Cakewalk Project 5 (amongst others).

It's definitely a workflow thing, and many people don't care for it, but for some of us, it's the way we prefer to work.

Well, that workflow is just different in Bitwig, it's what the clip launcher is for in an arrangement based project. To quickly try new ideas with single clips.

Hoping for Alias Clips as well. I see them more like project-based clip-library that gets refined as the track evolves, and automatically updates throughout the project.

.maki wrote:What about simply looping that clip in the clip launcher, while having your arrangement play as usual. Same effect, just not visually "ghosted" isn't it?
Tell me how to insert a silent space in the loop (like a break in tune) or loop few alternating clips on the same track...

No, it's not nearly the same effect.
Music tech enthusiast

I guess you know you can loop on the Timeline by dragging the clip bottom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDwVzQqOqAs

Astralp wrote:I guess you know you can loop on the Timeline by dragging the clip bottom?
I guess you know it's not a solution to the problem? Read my reply above to .maki

But for your benefit, tell me how to:
- insert a blank space (silence) in the middle of this loop?
- do this looping for a track, where there's 2+ alternating clips?

Here's the problem - people who never used this feature have no clue how it can be useful, but will still object to introducing it... smh
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:
Astralp wrote:I guess you know you can loop on the Timeline by dragging the clip bottom?
True, thats a limitation. Can be achieved with automation tho.
antic604 wrote: - do this looping for a track, where there's 2+ alternating clips?
Just create a new clip and loop that again, easy.

I used that feature in Cubase as well and would also like to see it.
However, it's not that urgent imo, do not miss it much.

.maki wrote:
antic604 wrote:
True, thats a limitation. Can be achieved with automation tho.
I guess so, but then you don't really have the proper overview of your arrangement anymore (clips that are visible & not muted wouldn't be playing). Not really a solution.
.maki wrote:
antic604 wrote: - do this looping for a track, where there's 2+ alternating clips?
Just create a new clip and loop that again, easy.

I used that feature in Cubase as well and would also like to see it.
However, it's not that urgent imo, do not miss it much.
Again, in some cases - yes, this would work. But imagine you have a sequence like this (numbers represent different clips):
1.1.1.2.1.1.2.3.1.1.1.2.1.1.3.4 & repeated

Sure, you can join it all in one clip & repeat (and automate the gaps, if necessary), but if you want to change clip #1 slightly then you have to do it in 10 places in your joined clip, in 3 places for clip #2, and so on. With alias/linked/ghost clips you wouldn't have to join them, automate the gaps AND you'd only change clips in one place instead of 10 or 3.

I really don't understand why there's any objections to it? Don't like/need it, don't use it! If implemented, alias/linked/ghost clips would be created by dragging the clip with added modifiers (say Ctrl+Shift+drag) so your old workflow wouldn't be impacted in any way.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”