Sampler Woes

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tried the slice to drum machine function and i noticed a few glaring omissions (i hope i'm wrong but i didn't see anything about it in the manual)

+ no way to zoom into the sample to make sure that the start point is where i want it. you can't make the window big and decouple it but there seems to be no way to really get micro with it.

+ no way to increase or decrease the threshold of the onset markers. i was making a pretty sparse chop-up of a few chords on the piano- 1 chord/two bars for 12 bars so i should have 6 slices. bitwig gave me 38 :o
i had to go in and delete 32 slice by hand in 2018. if i use the slice-to-multisample via bounce/slice option it gets a tad better but i still have to go in and edit the start and end points because the transient detection is clumsy at best

+ this one is a feature request: one the multi sample is assembled and all 6 slices have been pared down from a 30+ it would be nice if we could manipulate parameters en masse. for example, if i want to make the velocity sensitivity of every sample pad the same i have to go into every one. if my slice is fairly complicated, i'm out for half the day.

also, if there is a any way to focus the sampler on each pad by just pressing my midi keyboard as opposed to mouse-clicking the pad it would make things that much faster. i can't find the button that does that.

onward.

Start reading here:
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=507156#p7109486

Not sure if anything we're seeing there adresses your woes, but at lease something's happening :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

1) You probably had a typo here, but you can maximize/decouple the Sample window. That in itself is a zoom, but no you currently cannot scroll or zoom around the window. Why do you have to be so exact? Just go with what sounds good.

2) If this works, it may solve #1 as well. Slicing also supports a beat-based algorithm like '4 slices per bar'. I can think of at least one way to leverage that. If you put your audio in the arranger and slice it from there (you can zoom in plenty here and even more so in the dedicated editor panel) onto beat markers, you can then bounce a timerange of it and use that with the slice-to-* feature. Perhaps instead of bouncing, if you make the edits inside of the audio clip, it might work that way too! When you open the editor panel for an audio clip, notice there's two headers for the clip. One of them is lower down and white, and it's like the internal contents of the clip. You can slice this up, move it around, add more, etc. to this and even though you have one clip on the arranger it can be all kinds of crazy inside of it. Maybe if you set this inner part up to be on beats and use that function on the single clip in the arranger, it will work.

3) I think you can already do this, and it works with much more than just the multi-samples. Whenever you have a layered device and you're working on one of the child devices, right-clicking a parameter gives you the option to copy the value to all layers. Granted you have to do this for each parameter and when you make changes, but that's so much better than doing it for all of them! There might be certain restrictions for different devices or containers but I do this all the time with samples in drum machines.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

You can zoom into the sample though. Place the mouse cursor on the scroll bar at the bottom of the sample window and holding the left mouse button push the mouse up to zoom in and down to zoom out, or you can grab the ends of the scroll bar and do it that way, or you can put your cursor in the sample window and press ctrl and use your mouse scroll wheel.

sth wrote:1) You probably had a typo here, but you can maximize/decouple the Sample window. That in itself is a zoom, but no you currently cannot scroll or zoom around the window. Why do you have to be so exact? Just go with what sounds good.

2) If this works, it may solve #1 as well. Slicing also supports a beat-based algorithm like '4 slices per bar'. I can think of at least one way to leverage that. If you put your audio in the arranger and slice it from there (you can zoom in plenty here and even more so in the dedicated editor panel) onto beat markers, you can then bounce a timerange of it and use that with the slice-to-* feature. Perhaps instead of bouncing, if you make the edits inside of the audio clip, it might work that way too! When you open the editor panel for an audio clip, notice there's two headers for the clip. One of them is lower down and white, and it's like the internal contents of the clip. You can slice this up, move it around, add more, etc. to this and even though you have one clip on the arranger it can be all kinds of crazy inside of it. Maybe if you set this inner part up to be on beats and use that function on the single clip in the arranger, it will work.

3) I think you can already do this, and it works with much more than just the multi-samples. Whenever you have a layered device and you're working on one of the child devices, right-clicking a parameter gives you the option to copy the value to all layers. Granted you have to do this for each parameter and when you make changes, but that's so much better than doing it for all of them! There might be certain restrictions for different devices or containers but I do this all the time with samples in drum machines.

Will check number three. But number two is really unacceptable. It’s a ton of extra steps for something that should be a slider move: to the left for less onset marker and the right for more.

Found out that you could, in fact zoom inside the sampler. The magnifying glass icon appears when the cursor is scrolled to the bottom. :clap:

I always go with what sounds good to me. We all do. Without knowing where that zoom function was I just had a hard time adjusting them to where I wanted them. That’s solved now though so water under the bridge.

Another problem I figured that there isn’t a groove pool in bitwig. Hope it comes in the next update.

Thanks for the replies folks.

konXfront wrote:
sth wrote:Another problem I figured that there isn’t a groove pool in bitwig. Hope it comes in the next update.
It doesn't, but I hope you're happy with what's been announced for v2.4? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

For sure! Still don’t see an onset sensitivity slider though :D

Edit: oooh but wait! There is an Onset knob. I hope it’s what I hope it is :hihi:

Honestly, I haven't had luck with onset modes in this or any similar application. As a developer, it's not something that I think a computer can reliably do. So, I generally do these things myself and don't think too much about it. When it's obvious that a computer can do it better and faster, I am frustrated when the option is not there!
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

Geist and Geist2 have it. But fxpansion all but abandoned all their products.

konXfront wrote:Geist and Geist2 have it. But fxpansion all but abandoned all their products.
Source?

Return to “Bitwig”