Bitwig 2.4 out now

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ou_Tis wrote:The Notemapper issue only happens with MPE instruments, as confirmed with Seaboard (doesn't work in MPE mode, works in Piano mode). Hmm. Wonder if this applies to other plugins... and whether there's a simple fix.
This is the 3rd post of yours I've read which says NoteMapper isn't working and you still have not said what issue(s) you are having with NoteMapper. It is hard for anyone to give any sort of feedback if all you say is, it isn't working. Does it crash? Do some aspects of it work and others not?

It doesn't crash, but Notemapper has no effect on the notes being played or iirc recorded midi data, and the Notemapper gui doesn't indicate that it's receiving midi data (usually it highlights incoming notes as they're played).

Ou_Tis wrote:It doesn't crash, but Notemapper has no effect on the notes being played or iirc recorded midi data, and the Notemapper gui doesn't indicate that it's receiving midi data (usually it highlights incoming notes as they're played).
When you say it only happens with MPE instruments, what do you mean? Are you changing what the Seaboard is sending? How is it configured in Bitwig?

According to the MPE spec, midi channel 1 is the master channel... so it receives global control signals such as modwheel or sustain pedal. Notes are sent on channels 2-16. Some MPE synths are set up this way, and others are not. Some do not have a master channel and so the global messages need to go out on all channels.

If NoteMapper is working in normal (non-MPE) mode, but isn't in MPE mode, then perhaps it is only listening to midi channel 1 and the Seaboard is not sending notes on channel 1 as it is the master channel.

SLiC wrote: Sure it could be improved (I have a few post on this myself) but the tablet mode for a MS Surface is still by far the best option available for any DAW I have found
[/quote]

I have not tried other daws and it could easily be the best, but it could also be so much better if evolved. The circular menu and doing routine arrangement operations is convoluted and unintuitive - dragging clips around, resizing etc - I was so disappointed after the hyped launch video! I use MPC live and generally find its touchscreen operations very complementary, whereas it is a chore with Bitwig, but I do appreciate the basis of what they did and introducing a new layout, it just seems to be on the back-burner (it could be an incredible selling point/USP).

I am also not too pleased about paying for an update that is maybe 80% new sampler and 20% bug fixes/enhancements, just to get the 20%.

pdxindy wrote:
Ou_Tis wrote:It doesn't crash, but Notemapper has no effect on the notes being played or iirc recorded midi data, and the Notemapper gui doesn't indicate that it's receiving midi data (usually it highlights incoming notes as they're played).
When you say it only happens with MPE instruments, what do you mean? Are you changing what the Seaboard is sending? How is it configured in Bitwig?

According to the MPE spec, midi channel 1 is the master channel... so it receives global control signals such as modwheel or sustain pedal. Notes are sent on channels 2-16. Some MPE synths are set up this way, and others are not. Some do not have a master channel and so the global messages need to go out on all channels.

If NoteMapper is working in normal (non-MPE) mode, but isn't in MPE mode, then perhaps it is only listening to midi channel 1 and the Seaboard is not sending notes on channel 1 as it is the master channel.
You're right, NoteMapper had only been listening to Channel 1. Within NoteMapper's gui I was able to set it to listen to all 16 channels and copy and pasted the note mappings to each channel, and now it seems to be working. Thanks!

Ou_Tis wrote:
You're right, NoteMapper had only been listening to Channel 1. Within NoteMapper's gui I was able to set it to listen to all 16 channels and copy and pasted the note mappings to each channel, and now it seems to be working. Thanks!
:tu:

bassc wrote: I am also not too pleased about paying for an update that is maybe 80% new sampler and 20% bug fixes/enhancements, just to get the 20%.
The real world policy so far had been, that 2.3 was for some users over the years limit, but they got all the bug fixes for free... The 2.4 had needed some general overhaul for MPE which justifies the new sub version. I expect new features in upcoming versions and getting bug fixes fixed anyway...

bassc wrote: I am also not too pleased about paying for an update that is maybe 80% new sampler and 20% bug fixes/enhancements, just to get the 20%.
Full midi channel support across the application is a big deal... assigning percentages is a subjective thing... but I'd say something like: 40% Sampler, 30% Midi Channel support, 30% bug fixes and enhancements.

And of course when you pay, you are not just paying for that, but whatever else comes along in the next year. Assuming the past year is indicative of the next year, that means you will get 2.5 and 2.6 for no additional cost. In that case what you are paying for is actually more like 13% Sampler, 10% Midi Channel support, 10% fixes/enhancements and 67% yet to be determined.

It's the old "Glass half full or half empty" thing all over, isn't it?
Some people see and appreciate what they got in the year they pay for and just wait if the latest update isn't to their taste and get their update in a sale to apply whenever they want.
Some others see only that some thing or other isn't what they need and complain no matter what the update plan may be, feel personally cheated when an update coincides with a run-out update plan and don't prepare by getting the update code in a sale beforehand.

Like Dom said at the beginning of the new plan, this kind of "rolling updates" allows the team to work continuously on all kinds of features large and small without the need to hold things back for the next "major" release. In the old plan, this may have been version 3.0 with some features from the previous 2.x updates held back and packed into this one. This would give the impression of it being bigger for people who are in need of being fooled this way, but overall would lead to everybody getting things later.
Otherwise nothing would change, since normally you don't get bug fixes for 2.x when 3.x is released.

I wish everybody a musical day! :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:It's the old "Glass half full or half empty" thing all over, isn't it?
Some people see and appreciate what they got in the year they pay for and just wait if the latest update isn't to their taste and get their update in a sale to apply whenever they want.
Some others see only that some thing or other isn't what they need and complain no matter what the update plan may be, feel personally cheated when an update coincides with a run-out update plan and don't prepare by getting the update code in a sale beforehand.

Like Dom said at the beginning of the new plan, this kind of "rolling updates" allows the team to work continuously on all kinds of features large and small without the need to hold things back for the next "major" release. In the old plan, this may have been version 3.0 with some features from the previous 2.x updates held back and packed into this one. This would give the impression of it being bigger for people who are in need of being fooled this way, but overall would lead to everybody getting things later.
Otherwise nothing would change, since normally you don't get bug fixes for 2.x when 3.x is released.

I wish everybody a musical day! :-)

Cheers,

Tom
I wasn’t sure at first but now I think it’s a good system. Seems like significant updates are coming along at a nice rate and people only need to pay at the point where the updates matter too them, if they aren’t in a current plan. Besides, there was a while where Ableton released a major version every year for a while there. People don’t usually complain about too many major version updates being released. I think this way is about the best way everyone can get what they want personally. Although I could see it making collaboration maybe a bit harder if people aren’t on the latest version.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Although I could see it making collaboration maybe a bit harder if people aren’t on the latest version.
But that again would be the same between Live 9 and 10 and has essentially nothing to do with the way updates work?
If it's a "problem" or a "feature" that there were 5 years between Live 9 and 10 again is a matter of opinion. Live 10 not supporting VST3 and MPE and 32 Bit VSTs etc. out of the box would have been a problem for me personally after all that time if I would still use it.

Well, I'm very happy with 2.4, MPE and Midi channels are a big thing in my work. And the sampler went from, "well, it kinda works" to being a cool tool.

Thankfully my glass is half full :tu: :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Return to “Bitwig”