New video: "Jeremy Cubert plays LinnStrument"

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
LinnStrument owner and talented musician Jeremy Cubert visited me a couple months back, and I made a video of him playing LinnStrument with a variety of sound sources, including the new "The Cello" from Sample Modeling. Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKMz9UmqAw
- Roger

Thanks for this amazing demonstration video. I hope it can convince a lot of people to spend a lot of money on LinnStruments and Sample Modeling instruments! Cello or Viola are on top of my wishlist.
Everything sounds awesome - except for the woodwind instruments. I guess I've figured out the reason: It sounds unnatural when you use the Z axis as breath/dynamics control. As you can hear at 1:28 for example, it's almost impossible even for a trained linnstrumentalist like Jeremy Cubert to keep the finger in a position where it simulates the air stream curve of a woodwind player (I've mentioned this in the bit resolution thread, but as you wrote, resolution isn't the issue). It will inevitably sound like a weird embouchure, as if somebody kicks your stomach while you're blowing your horn.
Just to give an example, I guess it's impossible to play trills with an even increase or decrease of attack without using a fader/mod wheel/breath controller, like at 11:07 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g7wGepyIzg

Sadly, I'm not familiar with the sound of a horn being played while someone kicks the player's stomach, but thank you for that colorful metaphor.

I find that gradual pressure increase is not impossible on LinnStrument, though like anything it takes practice and sensitivity of touch. Some may argue that the squishy surface of a Continuum or Seaboard makes it easier to control crescendos, but I find that I am able to perform smooth crescendos on LinnStrument without problem.

I also find that among LinnStrument players, a wind player will play wind sounds better, a violin player will play violin sounds better, a guitar player will play guitar sounds better, etc., because each is more familiar with the subtle gestures of that instrument. For the same reason, I find that a sax player is more likely to notice flaws in a sax performance on LinnStrument by someone who is not a skilled sax player.

Like any instrument, LinnStrument has strengths and weaknesses, but in general I think LinnStrument permits a convincing performance of the subtle gestures of most acoustic instruments.

I haven't tried being kicked in the stomach while playing sax myself, but hey, here's one advantage of a LinnStrument when you play it with a strap: it will protect you from kicks in the stomach.
As soon as I've got time, I'll do a comparison between various forms of controller assignments with The Trumpet.

Chick Sangria wrote:I haven't tried being kicked in the stomach while playing sax myself, but hey, here's one advantage of a LinnStrument when you play it with a strap: it will protect you from kicks in the stomach.
:hihi: Chick I don't know where you are gigging, but it sounds like a rough performance environment for musicians :hihi:

Return to “Roger Linn Design”