Software that supports MPE

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also... it has not been mentioned in this thread... the PPG synths support MPE.

I'm using it with Bitwig 2.4 beta 3

There is a text file for setting up midi CC configuration (one for regular and one for VpC). So you have to edit the VpC text file. CY defaults to breath (CC2). Set that to CC74 and then Bitwig Timbre works as expected.

For Logic, you can leave it at default.

It's max PB range is +/-24 which works fine in Bitwig since 2.4 Beta 2.

I think WaveMapper 2 is a beautiful sounding synth. I find it great for morphing sounds. It has some unique functions such as the wave map. It does lovely and unique soundscapes easily. You can automate the movement of the wavemap icons. It has Ringmod and 13 Envelopes plus 4 LFO's (Envelopes can loop) so Lots of modulation. You can also analyze your own samples into wavetables or their TCS (Time-Corrected Samples) which functions similar to wavetables but can have noise elements to the sound.

Takes a bit of work to grok it... not the most intuitive... but worth it.

PPG's Infinite Pro and Phonem are also both MPE capable.

pdxindy wrote:
John the Savage wrote:
SteveElbows wrote:Cypher 2 does sound great to me so far, though I have barely scratched the surface with its presets, let alone anything else. Paired it with a fanless i5 MS Surface and Linnstrument, seems to work well but I havent really done any performance testing to see how much CPU is left.
This is basically the setup that I've been flirting with, so I'd be interested to hear about your experiences as you get to know it and start pushing it harder... Keep us posted, eh!

Cheers!
The Cypher presets can use a bit of adjusting as they are designed with the Rise in mind... not the Linnstrument... (quite different in the Y axis) otherwise it seems to work well enough.
The Y axis modulations in the factory 5D patches tend to be quite extreme in general due to the longer throw of the Roli gear and the fact that usually for me in real use only 50% is used on the Roli dues to the black keys (or white in Rolis world), just dropping the gain to 0.5 and then right clicking and locking to 50% can get you a lot of the way there for trying out presets.

When you get a preset you like, the sort of curve in the attached image works well with the linnstrument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobDog on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

eek, edit mistake.

pdxindy wrote:Also... it has not been mentioned in this thread... the PPG synths support MPE.

I'm using it with Bitwig 2.4 beta 3

There is a text file for setting up midi CC configuration (one for regular and one for VpC). So you have to edit the VpC text file. CY defaults to breath (CC2). Set that to CC74 and then Bitwig Timbre works as expected.

For Logic, you can leave it at default.

It's max PB range is +/-24 which works fine in Bitwig since 2.4 Beta 2.

I think WaveMapper 2 is a beautiful sounding synth. I find it great for morphing sounds. It has some unique functions such as the wave map. It does lovely and unique soundscapes easily. You can automate the movement of the wavemap icons. It has Ringmod and 13 Envelopes plus 4 LFO's (Envelopes can loop) so Lots of modulation. You can also analyze your own samples into wavetables or their TCS (Time-Corrected Samples) which functions similar to wavetables but can have noise elements to the sound.

Hadn't seen Infinite Pro before, not keeping up to date here!

Looks pretty interesting, downloading the demo...

This is pretty interesting sounding from the Infinite Pro : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSGTW99 ... gs=pl%2Cwn

I have a Kyma system here and this sounds very similar to something you could do with that, but at a far cheaper price point!

As well as having a great name this guy has some pretty interesting stuff on youtube, just looking/listening through some of it...

BobDog wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Hadn't seen Infinite Pro before, not keeping up to date here!

Looks pretty interesting, downloading the demo...
All 3 of them (WaveMapper 2, Infinite Pro, Phonem) are exceptional synths. Infinite Pro can do some outstanding sounds and invites creative exploration. It also has +/-48 PB.

I would say the PPG stuff is under-appreciated.

deleted, was already mentioned above.

BobDog wrote:This is pretty interesting sounding from the Infinite Pro : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSGTW99 ... gs=pl%2Cwn

I have a Kyma system here and this sounds very similar to something you could do with that, but at a far cheaper price point!

As well as having a great name this guy has some pretty interesting stuff on youtube, just looking/listening through some of it...
That is so beautiful

Infinite pro seems extremely powerful but very intimidating to try to create or even edit patches usefully. Wavemapper on the other hand is fun to tweak and get useful changes from messing around.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Infinite pro seems extremely powerful but very intimidating to try to create or even edit patches usefully. Wavemapper on the other hand is fun to tweak and get useful changes from messing around.
I'm slowly coming to grips with Infinite Pro... and yeah... WaveMapper is more immediately fun and rewarding

Tj Shredder wrote:Unfortunately Initial Audios Sektor should be removed from the recommended Sounds page.
Their implementation does not work at all! Their support is extremely slow (response time + 2 weeks if at all), ignorant and telling me basically MPE is only for a fraction of their customers, they won't investigate or take my complaint serious. That behaviour drops my expectation that the issues will ever be fixed to below zero...
Hi Tj,

I just tried out the Sektor demo and I agree that the MPE implementation seems to be, well, unimplemented. However, I kept it on the Recommended Sound page with the comment that as of today it isn't working, but hopefully in future it will. If anyone is aware of it being fixed, please let me know and I'll update the page's listing.

Howdy Folks,

So... I've had some head-scratching moments using Moog's Model D app for iOS; specifically with regards to what happens to mod-wheel assignments when the app is put into MPE mode. I've been using Animoog for years, and when you switch it into MPE mode, all mod-wheel assignments automatically switch from CC1 to CC74 and therefore respond to polyphonic Y-axis control. However, this has not always been the case with Model D; that is to say, results seemed to vary from patch to patch, which of course has had me confused on occasion. As it were, when I would put Model D into MPE mode, sometimes I would get polyphonic pitch-bend and polyphonic pressure, but mod-wheel would not respond to CC74; and if I used CC1 instead, it would respond to that, but not polyphonically. Whereas with other patches, it would all simply work as expected, just like in Animoog. So, after much frustration, I finally decided to email Moog Support and ask whether or not Model D was even designed to respond to polyphonic Y-axis control, and if so, how to set it up.

I thought I would share the answer with you because it's not necessarily obvious at a glance, and it's not explained in the manual either. Here is Geert's response:
  • "When Model D is in MPE mode (MIDI input channel selection), make sure that you don't have MIDI CC74 assigned to any control in the MIDI CC map. Once you remove that, CC74 will be automatically used for per-note mod-wheel control."
That is a small but important detail to be sure. See, MIDI mappings are stored per patch in Model D, and unless you deliberately call up the MIDI CC map (which is separate from the MIDI settings page) and take a look, there's no real indication as to whether or not there are any preexsisting CC assignments saved within the patch. And as it stands, for whatever reason, many of the patches (but not all of them) have CC74 assigned to the filter cut-off by default. So you end up in a paradoxical situation wherein, if you put the app into MPE mode, it tries to use CC1 for mod-wheel because CC74 is already in-use for that particular patch; but of course CC1 doesn't work in MPE mode.

To make things even more confusing, the manual actually goes out of its way to say that MIDI CC mappings only apply 'Globally' and don't work in MPE mode. So why is CC74 assigned by default to an arbitrary parameter if it's not otherwise going to be used for MPE operation? Good question. Ahem!

At any rate, if you suspect something is amiss, chances are it's because CC74 is already assigned elsewhere within the current patch. So just delete that assignment and everything should function as expected. That is to say that all mod-wheel assignments will then automatically default from CC1 to CC74 and work in proper MPE fashion...

Presumably (smirk).

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:00 am, edited 10 times in total.

How does the app know which note the modwheel goes with?

I don't quite understand the question. But if I'm reading you correctly, the answer is that, when the app is put into MPE mode, all mod-wheel assignments will automatically switch from CC1 to CC74, and therefore be controlled by the Y-axis and apply to each note independently. So you effectively have 4 mod-wheels, one for each note, if you wanna think of it that way. But again, if you (or someone else) has manually assigned CC74 to another parameter previously, the app will stick with CC1 for mod-wheel, and therefore it will not work in MPE mode as expected. Does that make sense?

And again, CC mappings are stored on a per-patch basis. So if you find that MPE isn't working as expected for a particular sound, it's likely that the person who designed the patch has assigned CC74 to a parameter, which you'll need to delete if MPE is to work properly.

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote:I don't quite understand the question. But if I'm reading you correctly, the answer is that, when the app is put into MPE mode, all mod-wheel assignments will automatically switch from CC1 to CC74, and therefore be controlled by the Y-axis and apply to each note independently. So you effectively have 4 mod-wheels, one for each note, if you wanna think of it that way. But again, if you (or someone else) has manually assigned CC74 to another parameter previously, the app will stick with CC1 for mod-wheel, and therefore it will not work in MPE mode as expected. Does that make sense?

And again, CC mappings are stored on a per-patch basis. So if you find that MPE isn't working as expected for a particular sound, it's likely that the person who designed the patch has assigned CC74 to a parameter, which you'll need to delete if MPE is to work properly.

Cheers!
Yes, but how does a modwheel know which note to associate with? Say I have 2 held notes, then move the modwheel... which of the 2 notes gets modulated?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”