Send Midi Clock?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hola everybody,

I've been really enjoying my Linnstrument 128 and I've really invested into learning to play it (though I have prefered to tune it in fifths). But for my setup, I need to have a master clock be sent from my master "keyboard" and since the Linnstrument 128 is now such a thing, I was wondering if there is a way to have it send MIDI clock through all channels?

Saludos,
Gustavo

I always thought MIDI Clock is channel independent information but could be wrong on this.

48cube wrote:I always thought MIDI Clock is channel independent information but could be wrong on this.
I think so too, but somehow it appears that the Linnstrument isn't sending clock.

AFAIK it needs to be 'kicked' by Start (Realtime Transport Message), then it spits out it's own MIDI Clock. I usually start it from external controller (have special pedal which sends Start message).

I didn't try but perhaps the internal clock can be started from Sequencer mode of LS.

LinnStrument will send out MIDI clock when the step sequencer is running.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

@gbevin So if I want to be using the arpeggiator and clock the midi slaves, I need to have the sequencer running in the other split? Is there a way to leave the MIDI Clock running?

@48cube I'll try sending it an RTM from my DAW and see if it keeps on running.

Hi gusbeto,

Unfortunately it doesn't really work to simply leave MIDI clock running. Syncing tempo is simple but you also need to sync position, which would require pressing a Start button on LinnStrument to start the external device's sequence and to insure that subsequent arpeggiations are in sync to that sequence. You can sync position on LinnStrument by starting the Sequencer on the opposite split, but it makes more sense to use the external device (such as a DAW playing a song or other continuous sequence or drumbeat) as Sync master, and LinnStrument's arpeggiator as Sync slave. This will also allow you to reposition the song in your DAW then start playing from the middle, and LinnStrument will play in perfect sync because it now follows Song Position Pointer.

Hola Roger,

After reading all the manual, I guess the best option to sync all my gear would be to connect via USB to my computer, to send clock to the Linnstrument 128 and then set midi to thru so that all midi jacks get the clock. Then just keep on using the midi jacks for the output. ¿Is this correct?

Unfortunately, you can't use LinnStrument's USB and MIDI jacks at the same time because they run at different speeds. If you set LinnStrument to use the MIDI jacks, then you can send MIDI clock to LinnStrument and use MIDI Thru to reroute the MIDI clock to another MIDI device. However, I would recommend connecting LinnStrument to your computer via USB for faster MIDI speed, then connect your other DIN-MIDI-only devices to your computer's MIDI interface. Although you can daisy-chain your other MIDI devices, you will likely find it more reliable to send directly to all MIDI devices by using a one-in, multiple-out MIDI box like this one:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... AsKk8P8HAQ

Hola Roger,

I'm actually using this Quad THRU https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru4

So I guess the solution would be Linnstrument via USB, which would also provide clock, and route the same clock and the Linnstrument midi data via another USB midi interface,and through the Quad thru.

Sounds straight forward enough, I'm going to test it tonight and see if there's any noticeable latency.

Yes, I think that's best.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”