awed by this musical device -- quick question about configurability

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone -

First off, and I am sure this must be a recurrent theme in this forum, my mind is blown by the creativity and ingenuity that goes into this device I have just learned about.

I have read the site carefully and learned that it is totally configurable and the firmware is open source, yet would like to get a sense of how easy/difficult experimenting with the following alternative note arrangement would be:

In short, I would like to have the keys in the left half of the keyboard to increase in pitch from right-to-left (thumb to pinky). Note that this would preserve both the vertical pitch difference between rows (which I know is easily configurable) as well as the horizontal distance (= a semitone) between keys that Roger mentions in the FAQ is a fundamental design decision. It would merely like to try changing the direction in which the pitch increases for (the left) half of the keyboard.

I understand that I could always (downstream from the Linnstrument) map/translate the MIDI note codes to whatever I prefer, but imagine that would not preserve the feature whereby scales/naturals are lit.

Thank you for any insights on whether this can be accomplished.

Hi awed,

Thank you for buying a LinnStrument.

Regarding your mirrored tuning request, the new version 2.1.0 software has that ability:

In Global Settings > column 1, turn on Left Hand mode (4th cell from bottom). Then hold that same cell and swipe L/R to select REV L (reverse pitch direction of left split only). Then turn on Split mode.

Regarding how easy it is to edit the source code, go to the LinnStrument Support page and click "Source Code". Also, here's a new video presentation made by LinnStrument software creator Geert Bevin, about programming LinnStrument:

https://vimeo.com/221258331

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking to do.

Again congratulations on this amazing achievement!

Hi Roger,

I think I followed your instructions on how to enable the split mode with reverse pitch direction on the left half of the keyboard ("REVL" is displayed and then I enable split mode), but I must have missed a step somewhere. I have uploaded a 20sec video in case you can tell me what I am doing wrong:

http://goo.gl/LGyD96

As always thank you for your time

Maybe you didn't turn on Left-Handed Mode? Holding it merely affects how it will work when it's on, but you must turn it on.

Thank you for this, that was exactly it.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”