Linnstrument + Micromonsta w/ MPE

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently picked up a Micromonsta and my initial impressions of its new(ish) MPE mode are mixed.

Pros:
1. It works

2. It seems to react quite well to expressive MPE performance.

3. While I didn't spend much time building/modifying the stock patches, it does sound quite nice through my Mackie SRM650 active speakers. I haven't had a chance to hear it with discerning headphones yet.

Cons:

1. The Micromonsta's MPE "Master"/Main MIDI channel is fixed at MIDI Channel 1. MPE Master channel conveys common information including Program Change messages, pedal data, and overall Pitch Bend for a "zone" (split).

2. (related) The MPE "Note" channels are fixed to 2-16.

3. The Micromonsta's pitchbend range while in MPE mode is fixed to 48 which requires use of the hidden pitch-bend range menu on the Linnstrument.

Because of issues 1&2 it will be much harder for me to integrate the Micromonsta into my setup and use the Linnstrument splits. I was hoping I could set MIDI channels 1-5 (1 for MPE Master/Main and MIDI channels 2-5 as MPE note channels) for my left split and dedicate other MIDI channels to other synths to be controlled with the right split. But, since the Micromonsta will react to ALL MIDI channels while in MPE mode, any MIDI note information sent from the right split will also cause the Micromonsta to sound. My live rig does not include a computer (which I could use to set up ports with MIDI filtering and such), so I guess I will do some investigation to see if MIDI Solutions has a box that does what I need, which seems like a simple task: filter all MIDI information for channels X-Y.

I've written Audiothingies (the creator of the Micromonsta) to ask if being able to select MPE Master/Note channels will be an upcoming feature and the response didn't inspire confidence.

Anyone else using, or thinking about getting a Micromonsta? Is there a workaround I'm missing?

Any other interesting hardware synths with MPE capability that work nicely with the Linnstrument? I've got my eyes on a Futuresonus Parva but the demos on YouTube are few-and-far-between and rarely show off the types of sounds/performances I'm interested in. On paper it seems like a great synth though.

MIDI Solutions definitely make a filter box that will work for you. I own several of their products, and have nothing but good things to say about the company.

As for the Parva, I'd do some extensive reading on their forum before investing in one. I've been holding out for an MPE capable hardware synth (especially with a USB host port on the back) ever since I got my LinnStrument, and was following the Parva's development pretty closely for a while... Sufficed to say, there were some bugs that concerned me early on, and as of a month ago, I was still seeing fresh complaints crop up from users on the forum. And I've yet to hear a comprehensive audio demo that really sells me on it. That said, it sure looks solid and seems to be well-specified on paper, but I'm wary of it.

Cheers!

I've a micromonsta on the way... The modor NF1 is another I've been looking at.

I just got my LinnStrument (used but in great shape) and hooked it up to my Micromonsta in MPE mode yesterday. It's really quite amazing. I'm still working on the relative or not for the y control, I find it to be magical (the non relative y control) on slower notes, but trying to do slightly faster runs (I'm not Jordan Rudess) it can get a little weird when it's not relative or off.

A day or two in I can say I'm really in love with the Linnstrument and it really feels like that magical type of instrument that opens up music theory and playability all in one.

I just got one. Any recommended patches or modulation settings?

nutate wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 pm I just got my LinnStrument (used but in great shape) and hooked it up to my Micromonsta in MPE mode yesterday. It's really quite amazing. I'm still working on the relative or not for the y control, I find it to be magical (the non relative y control) on slower notes, but trying to do slightly faster runs (I'm not Jordan Rudess) it can get a little weird when it's not relative or off.

A day or two in I can say I'm really in love with the Linnstrument and it really feels like that magical type of instrument that opens up music theory and playability all in one.
There needs to be an option for Y absolute but only note trigger, not continuous. That would give a lot of flexibility

illintechnology wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm Any other interesting hardware synths with MPE capability that work nicely with the Linnstrument?.
My current favorite hardware synth to pair with my Linnstrument is the Axoloti core. Unlike the MicroMonsta (which I also have and like a lot) it is a USB host so you can connect the Linnstrument directly through USB and are not limited to a direct MIDI connection.

That said, the Axoloti is much more of a DIY experience. It comes without a case or external controls. You can control all the parameters through software, or add potentiometers, buttons, distance sensors or any other control device you can imagine, including sending MIDI control codes from the Linnstrument with no additional hardware. (Check out the great MPE synths by TSG in the Community Library that implement this feature beautifully.)

In addition to a number of synths available in the Library, you can build your own with the excellent graphical design tool, which I find has just the right balance of power and usability--much easier to use than Pure Data or Max, but capable of creating virtually any sound you can imagine.

the Axoloti is much more of a DIY experience
Seems like somebody could create a nice small business building one or more ready-to-use synths around that board.

http://community.axoloti.com/t/anyone-p ... losure/140

Speaking of Axoloti and Linnstrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNx5zb3PuAw

Return to “Roger Linn Design”