Saving Custom Lights

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

Got my Linnstrument a few weeks ago. LOVE IT.

I am using microtonal tunings and have made a bunch of custom light setups with a Max patch I have made. The problem is that every time I load turn on the Linnstrument, I have to reload the lights with Max. This is frustrating becasue it means I need my laptop connected just for the purposes of setting up the lights (I am using Linnstrument with a DSI synth). I don't mind digging into the firmware code if there are any suggestions what to do there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Subhraag

Hi Subhraag,

Unfortunately the ability to set the lights remotely with CC messages does not include the ability to save those changes. We don't provide support for altering the source code but perhaps a forum member would be willing to give you advice on what to change, which will be tricky because you'll have to find a way to save your light settings that doesn't interfere with what the OS currently saves.

Or perhaps a forum member is aware of a mobile app that can send a custom string of MIDI messages? Then you could connect your mobile device to the LinnStrument whenever you wish to load the lights, which may be easier in a live situation than bringing your computer.

Hi Subhraag,

Unfortunately the ability to set the lights remotely with CC messages does not include the ability to save those changes. We don't provide support for altering the source code but perhaps a forum member would be willing to give you advice on what to change, which will be tricky because you'll have to find a way to save your light settings that doesn't interfere with what the OS currently saves.

Or perhaps a forum member is aware of a mobile app that can send a custom string of MIDI messages? Then you could connect your mobile device to the LinnStrument whenever you wish to load the lights, which may be easier in a live situation than bringing your computer.

As ssingh made already a Max patch, it should not be too difficult to port it to Pd and then play it with MobMuPlat on any mobile device (IOS or Android)...

Thanks, Tj, it seems like that should work.... but since Linnstrument ia USB powered, is there a way to connect both the Linnstrument to USB power adaptor and send data from my iPhone? If I get some sort of adaptor/USB hub would that work?

Roger, no doubt in my mind microtonal tunings will be making their way, in a big way, in to more mainstream music in the not so distant future. Your instrument is the ultimate microtonal instrument.......!! Perhaps it would be worth considering adding the ability to save custom lights to your (probably huge) feature request list :) I'm looking forward to sharing with you what I am working on, as it is quite a bit different from the videos I have seen thus far.

Hi ssingh,

Please take a look at the Hooking It Up page. It explains that you can power your LinnStrument from an iPhone, or use a USB splitter cable to separate power and data sources.

I hope that your confidence that microtonal tunings will make their way into mainstream music becomes a reality. If you're interested, please visit the FAQ page and read the FAQ "Can you add this feature: __________?". It explains my guiding principal for how I decide which features are added.

And thank you for owing a LinnStrument.

Roger, thank you and thanks for making the Linnstrument! Finally feel I have a way of getting music out that has been stuck in me for a very long time.

Thank you!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”