Fave synths?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just joined the gang!

Whats everyones fave synths for MPE? i have repro & diva, looking at something hardware like the micromonsta, and any other suggestions would be really helpful

I'm using "Animoog" and Moog's new "Model D" app, running them both on a 2017 iPad 9.7". They sound great and have proven stable enough for live use, and that's what I do for a living, so...

I have my LinnStrument connected to the iPad using an iConnectAudio4+ (which unfortunately I can't recommend after wasting more than a year dealing with iConnectivity's shoddy customer service and brazen neglect of their iConfig software), but I reckon there are plenty of other ways to interface with an iDevice, especially if you don't require the complicated MIDI routing that I do onstage.

Regardless, the Moog apps are serious synths, and when you consider the price, if you already have an iPhone or iPad, it's a no-brainer.

I'm still waiting for the perfect MPE hardware synth to come along (sigh).

Cheers!

I love Equator and my mod of the Mikro Prism Reaktor ensemble...

My favorite in software is UVI Falcon, I too have my eye on options for a good hardware instrument. So far the offerings are either kickstarter based or smaller batch manufacturers. I'm tempted by the futuresonus parva, modal 002 and deckard's dream in particular. I'm waiting for more options to hit the market and if they don't come then I'll buy another computer to be a processing slave for more software. Falcon is a bit of a hog when you get happy with the modulations, but it supports MPE and comes with some excellent presets. Not all the presets are MPE ready but they can easily be adjusted to handle it.

You can accomplish mpe-like behavior with any multitimbral synth by setting the same patch on multiple channels provided it has enough parts to respond to all the fingers you'd like to use, that expands your options somewhat. Many others also support polyphonic aftertouch even if their built in keyboard does not generate that kind of control. You can make the linnstrument put out poly aftertouch but you don't get the poly pitch bend if the synth doesn't handle MPE. Many commentors across the web don't realize that poly aftertouch and MPE are not the same thing because they overlook that pitch expression. I don't have the dexterity to bend separate notes differently on one hand so I find that I don't lose much by not having the poly pitch bends. I still like to have it because even the tiny unconscious movements can impart a lot of feeling. Sometimes I'll accidentally play something really nice and not be able to repeat it because I lack finesse.

Tj Shredder wrote:I love Equator and my mod of the Mikro Prism Reaktor ensemble...
Hey Tj, would you consider yourself a sound designer or more of a preset person? I'm just curious how in-depth you're finding the Equator synth engine? And is it a CPU hog at all? I've been considering purchasing it, but with no demo option available, I can't be sure if it will run smoothly on my Windows machine, which has plenty of RAM but a slower CPU (1.51GHz). Any insight, if you can lend some, would be most helpful. Thanks.

UnWorldly wrote:My favorite in software is UVI Falcon, I too have my eye on options for a good hardware instrument. So far the offerings are either kickstarter based or smaller batch manufacturers. I'm tempted by the futuresonus parva, modal 002 and deckard's dream in particular.
UVI Falcon is, without question, a sound designer's dream come true, and if a comprehensive MPE hardware synth doesn't come along within the year, I'll be buying a Surface Pro or the likes just to run Falcon onstage. I almost bought a Parva when I first got my LinnStrument, but now I'm glad I didn't. It has taken way too long to come to fruition, and from what I've read, it still has issues, including some hardware related ones (nervous grin)! Deckard's Dream is awesome, but it's not a practical design for my purposes. I'm holding out for something smaller, preferably in a desktop format, with a USB host port for powering the LinnStrument... A man can dream (sigh).

Cheers!

LS+Axoloti
Fun, small... I have used it many times, simple as that.

John the Savage wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:I love Equator and my mod of the Mikro Prism Reaktor ensemble...
Hey Tj, would you consider yourself a sound designer or more of a preset person? I'm just curious how in-depth you're finding the Equator synth engine? And is it a CPU hog at all? I've been considering purchasing it, but with no demo option available, I can't be sure if it will run smoothly on my Windows machine, which has plenty of RAM but a slower CPU (1.51GHz).
I would consider myself more a sound designer, but what gets me hooked are good presets as well. Equator is well worth its money, I got it with Rolis special bundled with a Seaboard Block and FXpansions Strobe 2 on top. The Seaboard is for occasions where the LinnStrument would be too big to carry... And I made a Max patch to use it as fader box...;-)
I also had a Roli Block, which can come in handy for a lot of different controller uses (before I became a GAS driven plug-in junkie I made a career as controller junkie) Any Block owner would get Equator for 79,- $/€
But back to your question, Equator is a very powerfull synth. The user interface invites you directly to tweak the MPE relevant parameters. For the LinnStrument you have to tweak the expression curves for example. Without any look at the manual you would have corrected those already. You can load your own samples via the SFZ format and have the usual oscillators (3 with 50 wave forms, 2 samples 1 noise), filters (5 with 13 modes) and multistage envelopes (5) you'd expect fom any synth today... "Only" two lfos, but who needs lfos, if you modulate the sound with your finger...
The mod matrix allows you to draw a transfer function, the 3 oscillators can fm each other (4 dx style algorithms) and all this layed out, that you never need to ask the manual...
There is a lot of potential to digest and all presets (I mean 100%) are well crafted for expressivity. MPE is not an add on, its the core...
My favorite presets are a "Mellow Duduck" and a "Rosa Dulcimer", which you would find also in the free Seaboard 5D iPad app...
Is it a CPU hog? I run it on a Macbook Air 11" which is not much faster than yours, and on my second machine I don't really care, with 10 cores and 64 GB of ram I still have to drive it at its limits...

Tj Shredder wrote:
John the Savage wrote:
Hey Tj, would you consider yourself a sound designer or more of a preset person? I'm just curious how in-depth you're finding the Equator synth engine? And is it a CPU hog at all? I've been considering purchasing it, but with no demo option available, I can't be sure if it will run smoothly on my Windows machine, which has plenty of RAM but a slower CPU (1.51GHz).
I would consider myself more a sound designer, but what gets me hooked are good presets as well. Equator is well worth its money, I got it with Rolis special bundled with a Seaboard Block and FXpansions Strobe 2 on top. The Seaboard is for occasions where the LinnStrument would be too big to carry... And I made a Max patch to use it as fader box...;-)
I also had a Roli Block, which can come in handy for a lot of different controller uses (before I became a GAS driven plug-in junkie I made a career as controller junkie) Any Block owner would get Equator for 79,- $/€
But back to your question, Equator is a very powerfull synth. The user interface invites you directly to tweak the MPE relevant parameters. For the LinnStrument you have to tweak the expression curves for example. Without any look at the manual you would have corrected those already. You can load your own samples via the SFZ format and have the usual oscillators (3 with 50 wave forms, 2 samples 1 noise), filters (5 with 13 modes) and multistage envelopes (5) you'd expect fom any synth today... "Only" two lfos, but who needs lfos, if you modulate the sound with your finger...
The mod matrix allows you to draw a transfer function, the 3 oscillators can fm each other (4 dx style algorithms) and all this layed out, that you never need to ask the manual...
There is a lot of potential to digest and all presets (I mean 100%) are well crafted for expressivity. MPE is not an add on, its the core...
My favorite presets are a "Mellow Duduck" and a "Rosa Dulcimer", which you would find also in the free Seaboard 5D iPad app...
Is it a CPU hog? I run it on a Macbook Air 11" which is not much faster than yours, and on my second machine I don't really care, with 10 cores and 64 GB of ram I still have to drive it at its limits...
Thanks for the insight, Tj. I really appreciated it.

I do like the look of Equator's graphical interface, and on paper it does sound like a very comprehensive synth... I've just been a little skeptical of Roli lately, given their recent trajectory toward producing boiled-down, entry-level, "consumer" products and apps (no offense to any Block owners out there, they look like fun, if limited). Anyway, I may have to give Equator a try.

Thanks again, eh!

Cheers!

I’ve been enjoying U-he Ace and Kontakt with the Linnstrument. Also love Aalto but haven’t used it in a band content yet.

In the modular world, I’ve been loving playing my Atlantis via an expert sleepers FH-1 though setting up the FH-1 was miserable.

jsterne wrote:In the modular world, I’ve been loving playing my Atlantis via an expert sleepers FH-1 though setting up the FH-1 was miserable.
Dear Community,

Please keep posting reviews about how miserable it is to configure the FH-1... They're helping to deter me from selling my car to fund a custom modular MPE rig, and for that I can't thank you enough (wink).

Cheers!

I’ll go one better: if you want a hardware MPE solution, I wouldn’t go modular. Modular is great for a lot of things but polyphony isn’t one of them.

On the other hand, selling the car to go modular would help the planet...
Btw, I sold my shoes and go barefoot... Should get another LinnStrument and play it with my feet...

jsterne wrote:I’ll go one better: if you want a hardware MPE solution, I wouldn’t go modular. Modular is great for a lot of things but polyphony isn’t one of them.
Well, if I were to build a modular rig for my LinnStrument, I'd be happy with with a duophonic setup using digital oscillators. But ya, decidedly it's not the most practical way to go. It's certainly not the most cost effective. I just like the idea of building a custom synth to my exact preferences, rather than sitting around waiting for the world to deliver what I need. I suppose that's the draw of modular in the first place. I reckon, if you knew specifically what you wanted at the outset, you could do a lot in a relatively small skiff.

I will not build a modular synth.
I will not...

Cheers!

Tj Shredder wrote:On the other hand, selling the car to go modular would help the planet...
I would tend to agree. However, my touring rig for domestic shows weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 350lbs all told... Sufficed to say, I won't be getting to work on a bike or the train anytime soon (smirk).

Cheers!

I won't get my rig on the bike when I need my PA as well, but I can go with public transport, though its hard. (2 times HK audio nano 300, a backpack and the LinnStrument) Without PA its no problem on my bike. I should get one of those transport bikes...
In your case selling the car would force you to stop touring, but then you can sell your touring rig as well...
actually the GR-1 I mentioned in the other thread has also CV outputs, might be a good companion for an Eurorack...

Return to “Roger Linn Design”