Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Twrogstudio
KVRist

391 posts since 30 Oct, 2014

Postby Twrogstudio; Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Kazrog wrote:
Dominus wrote:Just going to bring this up again. I had to make settings changes when I switched to active pickups, but then had to swap them back temporarily for passive pickups in a guitar I was selling and testing the wiring on. The passives sounded like actives with a dead battery. I think it'd be helpful to have a "preamp" input plugin that we could make presets of each guitar with. Maybe even make a new overdrive or EQ pedal plugin with the input trim being integral to it. People could zero out the OD or EQ settings if they didn't want to use them.

Well, I am working on several OD pedal emulations, including one that's famous as a clean boost and approaching priceless status on the used market.

:wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
Topeznor
KVRist

203 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:35 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Klon Centaur? :D
vertibration
KVRist

31 posts since 11 Nov, 2010, from ny

Postby vertibration; Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:19 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Just a courteous statement about the crunch channel on the Psycho C. I have a 5150iii 50W. I tested the same settings gain 1 oclock, treble, mid, bass set to noon. With the same impulses.

The Psycho C sounds only very slightly dirty regardless of input level into the plug in. With those settings on my 5150iii, the distortion is very much prevalent, and it really has a thump, and chug to it. The crunch channel does not emulate the signature blue channel of the 5150 iii at all in my opinion with all due respect, and no offence intended at all, because I think the Lead channel of the Psycho C almost nail the red channel of the 5150 iii.

Its that blue channel that sounds very different from other amps, and has a very signature sound to it. I just wish a revision could be made to better emulate the blue channel within the crunch channel of the psycho c
Last edited by vertibration on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

13773 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

50W, I think Thermionik's Psycho C emulates the 100W version, so that one would have much more headroom (it wouldn't distort as soon as 50W version), wouldn't it?
Kazrog
KVRian

751 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:41 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

I'll re-check it. However, YMMV depending on your input level at the interface, and your input trim gain settings. And yes - this is based on the 100W amp.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
vertibration
KVRist

Postby vertibration; Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:13 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Ok thank you for clarifying. Please recheck, but you may be right about the headroom. However, even so, does not hurt to check
jorismak
KVRist

154 posts since 10 Mar, 2014

Postby jorismak; Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

I don't know the real 5150III 100 or 50, but if I take a DI file from Fluff's youtube channel and run it through PsychoC-Crunch with gain at 6.25, bass at 6, mid at 3.5, treble at 6.5, presence at 6 and saturation at 6, followed by Recabinet with a 3SigmaAudio IR and add the slightest amount of ambience-reverb, I end up with this:

https://soundcloud.com/joris-mak-1/psycho-c-crunch

Doesn't sound like a problem with not enough gain or not enough saturation to me.
(Once again, not knowing the real amp). This is with the input trim left at 0, the DI file seems to be around -20 / -21 LUFS.
cprompt
KVRist

453 posts since 17 Nov, 2010, from UK

Postby cprompt; Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:39 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

jorismak wrote:followed by Recabinet with a 3SigmaAudio IR

Can I ask which 3SigmaAudio IR you used as this sounds... awesome!!!
EvilDragon
KVRAF

13773 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:42 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

That's a sick crunch channel indeed. :D
jorismak
KVRist

Postby jorismak; Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:17 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

cprompt wrote:
jorismak wrote:followed by Recabinet with a 3SigmaAudio IR

Can I ask which 3SigmaAudio IR you used as this sounds... awesome!!!

Zilla Cab 3b if I'm not mistaken (literally fired up Reaper, did the test, render, and quit.. didn't save a thing). For sure the Zilla Cab though.

If you want to know / test, the DI is the supplied test file from Fluff's Lundgren pickup demo (https://youtu.be/ZpJB5iCzVfo), the Bridge M6 one. The download link seems up, but copy.com which hosts the file seems to have maintenance right now.
cprompt
KVRist

453 posts since 17 Nov, 2010, from UK

Postby cprompt; Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:34 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

jorismak wrote:For sure the Zilla Cab though.

Thank you - that sounded so good, I had to buy them. Yep, damn good IRs! Their free reverb IRs are top quality too.

jorismak wrote:The download link seems up, but copy.com which hosts the file seems to have maintenance right now.

I just remembered, copy.com has ceased to be. it's expired. Bereft of life, it rests in peace! It's kicked the bucket! It's snuffed it! This is an ex-download site!!!
Topeznor
KVRist

203 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:04 pm Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

The 50W version of the 5150 III has way more gain in the blue channel than the 100W (intended, not due to lower headroom). In fact, it's exactly the same as the blue channel on the "Stealth" version.

If Thermionik's Psycho C is gainier with its 100W emulation than the 50W real amp then it may need some adjustment. I don't own the amp so I can't add much more :P
jorismak
KVRist

Postby jorismak; Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Like I said, this was with input trim at 0... and generally I find that Thermionik needs input trim dialed down to -6 dB or something (with my DIs at least).

Even more, I don't think that clip sounded that good (lol), but it was at least meant to show that without much trouble and a DI at reasonable level the PsychoC seems to saturate no problem.

@vertibration said that even with the input trim turned up he didn't get the same high gain sound as the real amp, and if I look at how PsychoC (in crunch, not lead) behaves here I can't see how.. it turns into high gain pretty quickly :)
vertibration
KVRist

Postby vertibration; Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

Yea, so I went back and adjusted the gain to 10 with no changes to the imput trip, and the gain was similar to the blue channel on my 5150 iii 50W. I guess my only adjustment request would be to warm up that channel a bit. I dont know if the 5150 iii 100W is scooped like my 50W, but my 50W sounds really warm
vertibration
KVRist

Postby vertibration; Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 am Re: Thermionik 5 - Emulation Philosophy and Input Trim Tips

I also turned the gain down, and turned up the input trim, and while it distorts sooner, it is still missing that blue channel scooped sound
PreviousNext

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog