Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
xphen0m
KVRian

725 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:25 pm Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

This is basically the same bug that was present in Recabinet 4. Happens when adding tracks, changing presets in other VSTs etc etc. So far, I've got S. Platinum blaming the Serpent for the crashes.
Last edited by xphen0m on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazrog
KVRian

853 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:28 pm Re: Thermionik 5 amps crashing Sonar Platinum

xphen0m wrote:Platinum blaming the Serpent for the crashes.

Serpent blames Platinum. :lol:

In all seriousness, the next bug fix update has Sonar issues at the top of the priority list. Very sorry about this!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
xphen0m
KVRian

725 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:13 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

I have opened a problem report with Cakewalk. I've discovered that not only are the T5 amps crashing Sonar, but Recabinet is too. I've seen reports of KClip crashing Sonar as well. At this point, Kazrog products are totally unusable in any version of Sonar (for me at least). Hopefully with the problem report, we can get to the bottom of this. I'll keep you posted.

Sonar is not my main DAW, though, that's a saving grace lol.

All of the crashes are referencing the same exception code and I THINK the same address.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:57 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

No worries, I'm working on this...
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
joestrungout
KVRer

15 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Postby joestrungout; Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:31 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

Anyone else who is using sonar having any better luck or fixes?
foldaway
KVRist

45 posts since 6 Jan, 2006

Postby foldaway; Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:11 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

Been having the same problems since Recabinet 4! Here's my current work-around of the problems : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=450088 . nb. this still applies to T5 plugins & Recabinet 5 too.

Makes it very difficult to use, especially as Sonar is my main DAW.

I provided details aswell as offering assistance back in Febraury, http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=267&t=457055 but heard nothing of it!

Shane can we please have some information regarding the fixing of the Sonar related issues? Us Sonar users have been waiting well over a year for stable software.

Can you confirm whether this issue is being prioritised over new plugins?
gonwild
KVRist

31 posts since 2 Aug, 2014

Postby gonwild; Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:41 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

joestrungout wrote:Anyone else who is using sonar having any better luck or fixes?

Using Sonar X3. Haven't had any issues since the latest version (5.0.2)...(but haven't worked on any big projects either..mostly just playing)
Paulnz
KVRist

173 posts since 30 Apr, 2012, from Wellington, NZ

Postby Paulnz; Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

Sonar is my only DAW so I've held off even installing v5 till the problem's fixed.

I was actually going to ask the question about how many people are finding the bug too in case it's just to do with one or two users set up.
joestrungout
KVRer

15 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Postby joestrungout; Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

Thanks all for the advice. If I use a different impulse loader and disable, then re-enable Thermionik (as advised) the crashes reduce significantly (I still get a few every time I do any work, but this at least makes it somewhat tolerable). If I use any version of Recabinet with Thermionik it pretty much becomes unusable on any normal sized session. Shane mentioned in another post that Sonar issues were pretty high up on the priority list, I just have no idea what would be involved to get it fixed or how long something like this might take...On the plus side, I am very happy with the sounds I am getting with Thermionik, so it is still worth dealing with the crashes, just hopefully this will all be fixed soon.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Mon May 02, 2016 2:41 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

Again, issues in Sonar are at the top of the priority list. While the crashes are unusual under most common circumstances, it does appear that under more complex conditions, Sonar begins to exhibit some erratic behavior that is unlike any host I've ever encountered.

Here's what I've found so far:

• Sonar crashes consistently when you launch it fresh, then open a session that contains an instance of Recabinet 5 on a VSTi (synth) track with any plugin(s) after it in the signal chain.
  • Oddly, if you open a session that doesn't fit the above description, then close it, and open any other session (including one fitting the description above), the crash behavior appears to subside until the next time Sonar is launched.
  • Thermionik 5.0.3 plugins appear to be unaffected and completely stable in Sonar.

I've spent an immense amount of time only to not get very far with this. Usually, it's very easy to debug crashes. I've tried a lot of possible fixes and workarounds for this to no avail.

It appears, in this case, that Sonar is not consistently supplying my plugins with the information and/or access that they need to function normally as they do in any other host, and that there is no obvious way for me to sanity check this predictably to get around it. Perhaps this is a VST2 specific problem in Sonar, and if I release a VST3 version, the problem may simply disappear (a guess, anyway - it sure would be nice.)

I will keep working at this. I'm very sorry for the delay in addressing Sonar specific issues.

PS - I am testing in the latest Sonar Platinum.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Dominus
KVRAF

1949 posts since 15 Sep, 2003, from Land of Crazies, USA

Postby Dominus; Tue May 03, 2016 7:45 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

I used Sonar for a while (I think from Producer 4 until 7) and was a PC (and sometimes Mac for the plugins) beta tester for Cakewalk on Project 5, Sonar, Rapture, and Dimension. (It's been quite a few years, so I think I can break some confidentiality here. Holy hell. 10 years? :D ) They're a good company to work with as far as testing goes. Shane, you may want to try working with them directly to see if it's something they've got going on.

I switched to Pro Tools (starting with 7) for a bit because that's what a number of my clients were using and I wanted to be able to provide them tech support. Switched to Reaper after Pro Tools 9, and never looked back.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue May 03, 2016 8:32 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

I appreciate the note. I've had a variety of contacts with Sonar over the years, but through all the mergers and acquisitions they have become a bit more impersonal over time. I'm sure if I put some effort into communicating with them again, I could get somewhere. Most of the time when things go wrong, it's the fault of the plugin manufacturer (me.) In this case, though, I'm not 100% confident it is anything I'm doing wrong. I was able to recreate the issue with a do-nothing VST2, even.

I'll be doing some further testing on my end before I harass the Gibson/Cakewalk/Sonar folks, in any case. :)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
foldaway
KVRist

45 posts since 6 Jan, 2006

Postby foldaway; Wed May 04, 2016 5:28 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

I can reliably reproduce crashes in Thermionik 5.0.3 without Recabinet being present in a project. With the simplest to create crash case being : launch > load > play. So if there is a beta with logging I will be able to help analyse these crash cases.

It might be worth visiting the DSP forum & asking for some help there. I would imagine that some developers who post there may have had to deal with similar issues. They also seem very helpful! Especially if you can provide a simple example (ie. a do-nothing vst that has the issue).
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 am Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

foldaway wrote:I can reliably reproduce crashes in Thermionik 5.0.3 without Recabinet being present in a project. With the simplest to create crash case being : launch > load > play. So if there is a beta with logging I will be able to help analyse these crash cases.

Not reproducible here. I'm also not too keen on shipping debug builds outside of the office. I can put some descriptive logging in key places though.

foldaway wrote:It might be worth visiting the DSP forum & asking for some help there. I would imagine that some developers who post there may have had to deal with similar issues. They also seem very helpful! Especially if you can provide a simple example (ie. a do-nothing vst that has the issue).

At this point, I'm more inclined to go directly to the Sonar folks. The DSP forum is a great general resource, but this is an esoteric corner case issue affecting a single host.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
jbraner
KVRian

643 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Postby jbraner; Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 pm Re: Update: All Kazrog products crashing Sonar Platinum

I just picked up a thermionik amp (AC30) and it's working perfectly in SONAR Platinum x64 on Windows 10 64 bit.

I'm -not- using recabinet - I'm playing it before S-gear and using S-Gear FX (spring reverb) and (3rd party IRs) cabs.

I hadn't seen this thread, and I've been using it for 2 days with absolutely no problems. Let me know if you want me to try anything in particular - but the thermionik amp, without recabinet, is fine here...
Next

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog