Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

Burillo
KVRAF

2723 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Thu May 26, 2016 12:15 am Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

I've tried Recabinet 5 recently, and while i welcome simpler design and more immediate control, i also kinda miss the immediacy of Recabinet 3/4, where i could pick a cabinet/mic and switch mic positions, or pick a mic position and switch cabinets. right now it's hard to do so, as i have to point at the right impulse in the best case, and go out and look for the proper folder in the worst case (when i need to change the cabinet).

so i propose to have some kind of simple metadata format (XML? INI?) associated with the impulses (cab size, mic, mic position, description, etc), and a new "easy" GUI mode, that hides actual impulse files and only shows whatever is stored in the database. that way we can have best of both worlds - the new minimalistic GUI and the ease of use of Recabinet 3/4. (so, to be clear, i'm not suggesting bringing back pictures, just making impulse selection and working with large impulse collections a little bit easier, and make it optional, so the current power user interface stays as well)

and more importantly, if the metadata format is open that would mean we could also add our own impulses to the database for easy access (i.e. using your own impulses alongside factory ones) by just writing your own metadata file. even better, maybe other manufacturers (RedWires, Rosen...) could provide Recabinet mappings to make them easier to use in Recabinet.

thoughts?
From Russia with love
Kazrog
KVRian

854 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu May 26, 2016 7:01 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

I've been thinking of doing something similar actually. Recabinet 5 in its present form is a bare-bones restart. I definitely feel it needs enhancement.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Topeznor
KVRist

204 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 pm Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

I still use Recabinet 4 for two reasons:

1 - Recabinet 5 gives me an "invalid IR path" error whenever it feels like it. Then I'm back to root and have to browse and loas the IR again.

2 - It has essentially the same features as Recabinet 4, but the fonts are smaller and harder to read.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it I may just switch to Recabinet 3.6 since it had the Dynamics knob and wouldn't have to bypass the Thermionik section when loading it :?
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Fri May 27, 2016 9:27 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

The invalid IR path error has been fixed in Recabinet 5.0.4. Download it and be happy. 8)

Thanks for the feedback. Again, Recabinet 5 is a fresh start and there are a lot of new things coming down the road.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Topeznor
KVRist

204 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

Kazrog wrote:The invalid IR path error has been fixed in Recabinet 5.0.4. Download it and be happy. 8) .

Woot! :D

Shane, is there any difference In the "dynamics" effect between Recabinet 3.6.3 and 5.0.4? To be honest I don't really know what it does dynamic-wise since IRs are static captures. :?

Resizable GUI or bigger fonts would be nice as well :tu:
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Fri May 27, 2016 10:08 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

Topeznor wrote:Shane, is there any difference In the "dynamics" between Recabinet 3.6.3 and 5.0.4? To be honest I don't really know what it does dynamic-wise since IRs are static captures. :?

The speaker dynamics algorithm has remained unchanged since Recabinet 3.6.3. You are correct that IRs are static captures. What this algorithm does is add back in the subtle breakup that guitar speakers have. Most of what a speaker does is linear, so the IR does most of the sonic work. Speaker dynamics is the rest of the picture, and the R&D behind that also led up to the development of Thermionik.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Burillo
KVRAF

2723 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sat May 28, 2016 1:22 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

much as all that is interesting, i'd prefer the discussion to be on topic :)
From Russia with love
NakajimaYusuke
KVRer

15 posts since 18 Sep, 2013, from Japan

Postby NakajimaYusuke; Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:28 am Re: Recabinet 5 FR - impulse database?

I also agree with OP. It is inconvenient to choose an IR from one big list. :(
I think list of choices should be divided into each item (each recording element).

Specifically, I often want to change only cab model or only mic model without changing mic position.
When all the choice options are in one huge list, I have a hard time with it. :wheee:

IRLoaderDream1.png

This is a mockup of my ideal IR loader. I have taken Recabinet 2 Collection as an example.
When I click on A5,B2,C7,D2,E2, then "Green 4x12 6L6 409 edge 0_5.wav" will be loaded automatically as IR.

And I want the same operation even third-party IR library. This is my most wish requests for IR loader. :pray:

I know several IR loaders have this "separated item select style".
(Example: recabinet 3 and 4, Guitar Rig 5 Control Room Pro.)
However, they only support built-in IRs. Third party IR can not be used with this style.

If people can do this separated item select operation with third-party IR libraries, it will be revolutionary useful.
Perhaps, it would be especially useful to users of Ownhammer and Redwirez. Because their library is huge.

About third-party IR assignment, please imagine a sampler. It is the similar mechanism as that.
When we use sampler we assign specific sound file to specific note and velocity.
(Example : the file "Snare1hard.wav"is assigned to the pattern "C3,V120")

In the case of my dream, we assign a specific IR file to the specific selection pattern of items.
(Example : the file "Green 4x12 6L6 409 edge 0_5.wav"is assigned to the pattern "A5,B2,C7,D2,E2")

And, if we can store these assign maps in a file, we will be able to share it like a drum map.
Those who use large IR libraries, especially those who blend each IR, will be willing to have such a function.

I'm sorry for my bad English. This time "What I want to tell" completely exceeded "My English ability"! :bang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sorry for my poor English.

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog