Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Zydraka
KVRist

58 posts since 3 Aug, 2015, from U.S.

Postby Zydraka; Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:41 am What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

So Shane has dropped the prices of all the Thermionik amp sims, along with Recabinet and the IR packs (surprising it hasn't been mentioned here yet). The amp packs of 5 are now $35 each instead of $50 and individual amps are $9.

Then on top of that I noticed the 40% off loyalty code E44F5A52 for Recabinet 4 owners still works for insanely low prices.

I want to put together a custom bundle to buy but I'm not really sure what to get and I don't have the time to go through and test all the different ones.

I was wondering what are some of the best Thermionik amp models? What are you favorites?

I have the modern classics bundle and my favorite is the Mesa sim, the Duality 3ch.

It seems like I see the FB100 mentioned a lot. What else stands out?
GrabtharsHammer
KVRist

197 posts since 7 Apr, 2016, from Bünde, Germany

Postby GrabtharsHammer; Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

+1 FB100

It can do everything from sparkling cleans to blistering high gain and everything in between... and it does all these things better than 90% of all other amp sims I tried. The high gain channel is much tighter than the Dualitys and has a little bit of that Marshall low mids growl, not as sterile and boring as the Peavey 5150/6105 that everyone seems to be using nowadays.

For clean sounds I also love the Vocal30. Very easy to dial in with just two knobs, great sound. I really wish more amps would follow this simplistic approach. Nothing puts me off more than an amp (sim) with dozens of knobs.
Burillo
KVRAF

2519 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:08 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

i would say they all stand out when compared to most other companies' amp sims :) that said, depends on your tastes. i freakin love the Framus Cobra (Serpent), Marshalls are also ones i frequently use. FB-100 as well, very versatile.
From Russia with love
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14138 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:27 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Big fan of the Cobra here (extremely tight low chugs on my 7-string). Also love the 3-channel Dual Recto.
DrSense
KVRist

135 posts since 5 Aug, 2014

Postby DrSense; Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Duality 3ch / Plexi
FB100
Serpent / Bassmensch

in that order. so far. will add more amps sooner or later that might change this.
Combining Duality and Plexi is epic.
grobsen
KVRer

5 posts since 10 Sep, 2011

Postby grobsen; Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

+1 for Vocal30 :love:

It seems like I have to have another go with FB100 though :)
Dominus
KVRAF

1918 posts since 15 Sep, 2003, from Land of Crazies, USA

Postby Dominus; Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:35 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Just get all of them. :D
Zydraka
KVRist

Postby Zydraka; Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:37 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, and thanks for reminding of the Serpent. I forgot how nice the lead channel sounds with heavy palm-muting.

I've been testing a bunch of the amps but mostly just for high gain stuff. I've come to the conclusion that I like the Psycho C a lot better than the A and B. The 2 channel dual rectifier has a nice complementary sound to the 3 channel. The FB100 seems to be useful for a bunch of different tones. The Bogner sounded pretty good too, but I'll have to try the Marshalls and some other amps for blues tones.

Just need one more to add to the list!

Duality 2ch
FB100
Psycho C
Bassmensch
Dominus
KVRAF

Postby Dominus; Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

As a test, I replaced the M4 and Psycho C in my normal tracking/practice setup with the 800 and FB100. Left my IR settings alone.

The tone got deeper and heavier.

Like I said, just get all of them. :D
Zydraka
KVRist

Postby Zydraka; Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:43 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Dominus wrote:Like I said, just get all of them. :D

That's where the modular design has its drawbacks. A DAW like Pro Tools puts all the plugins into lists and with Thermionik it duplicates each one for stereo and mono so having 50 different plugins added to the list makes it a pain in the arse to deal with. I had to delete all the demos because it just clogs up the plugins list way too much and makes it hard to find things.
Dominus
KVRAF

Postby Dominus; Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:03 am Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Masters-of-Music wrote:
Dominus wrote:Like I said, just get all of them. :D

That's where the modular design has its drawbacks. A DAW like Pro Tools puts all the plugins into lists and with Thermionik it duplicates each one for stereo and mono so having 50 different plugins added to the list makes it a pain in the arse to deal with. I had to delete all the demos because it just clogs up the plugins list way too much and makes it hard to find things.

I used Pro Tools for a few years (versions 6-9), switched to Reaper and NEVER regretted it. You open the FX / plugin window and just search for the plugin you need. They didn't add anything like that in the last few versions?
mohi
KVRer

4 posts since 26 Dec, 2014

Postby mohi; Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:34 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

FB100 with 3Sigma Friedman impulses, fantastic combo
Topeznor
KVRist

203 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Postby Topeznor; Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Hmm can't say. Depending on the application.

I'm currently using the blue channel of the EVH 5150 with 3 Sigma Impulses (4b) with great success :D
Par9 Zalpov
KVRist

58 posts since 13 May, 2014, from Russia, Moscow

Postby Par9 Zalpov; Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:04 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

OgreTuber fan here :phones:
also Duality 3ch, M2CP and Psycho very nice.
Bears, vodka, balalayka.
Mixing tracks. neurodriveaudio@gmail.com
GrabtharsHammer
KVRist

197 posts since 7 Apr, 2016, from Bünde, Germany

Postby GrabtharsHammer; Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:24 pm Re: What are Your Favorite Thermionik Amps?

Yesterday I played through the Serpent and I have to say it has potential to kick the FB100 from its iron throne in regards to high gain. The Serpent seems to combine some of the best characteristics of other amps - the smoothness of a Rectifier, the tightness of a 5150/6505 and the low mids growl of Marshall amps and the Friedman. It sounds a little more "distant" in the mix than the FB100 but apart from that I really dig it a lot.
Next

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog