Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Liero
KVRian

814 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Postby Liero; Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:16 am Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

I've been demoing the thermionik amps because I'm looking for some new amp simulation effects for my setup.

My DAW is Bitwig Studio and I was disappointed to find out that the very strong unified modulation system of Bitwig is not compatible with the most important Thermionik amps parameters, like preamp gain and poweramp saturation.

If I want to modulate for example the preamp gain of a thermionik amp with an LFO in Bitwig, I can set up the modulation, the parameter seemingly changes on the Thermionik UI and parameter list but the sound doesn't actually change. you have to "physically" move the knob with mouse on the UI to get actual change. For some reason the I/O level knobs work, as do the EQ knobs, but not the most important ones: preamp gain and poweramp gain :/

Sadly this makes Thermionik not viable for me as an amp sim, it's not often I might want to modulate some parameters on an amp sim but sometimes I do and as it stands it's not working on this DAW.

Ideas?

( To reproduce: load up a test tone generator, put a LFO modulator after it, load up a thermionik amp in the modulator FX slot, set the LFO to modulate thermionik amp1 gain - nothing happens)
Kazrog
KVRian

820 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 am Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

Known issue, will be investigated for the next bug fix update. Sorry about that!

PS - in the mean time, try automating the input trim for some variable gain.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Liero
KVRian

Postby Liero; Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:28 am Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

Thanks for the info! Would love to see this fixed, seems like the thermionik amps are very competetive in price and quality compared to S-gear and others that I'm demoing.

Congrats for a great product!
Liero
KVRian

Postby Liero; Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:32 am Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

You probably know this already but I suspect the bug has something to do with the fact that the gain pots seem to be logarithmic (or similar) in scale. The VST parameter knob in the Bitwig parameter list doesn't budge from zero until you raise the actual UI knob until way past nine o'clock.
Liero
KVRian

Postby Liero; Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:45 pm Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

Any news on when this might be fixed? Same problem also in other daws and VST hosts like the new sonic arts freestyle.

I'm kinda itching to buy thermionik since I still have some cash before christmas hits but I'm afraid this bug will be left unfixed (and I'll be left pissed)...
Kazrog
KVRian

820 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:13 pm Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

Have you tried the workaround I suggested? I will be investigating a fix to the Gain control issue, but in the mean time, the workaround should get you where you need to go.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Liero
KVRian

Postby Liero; Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:03 am Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

Yeah sure, and the workaround is a lot better than nothing. Maybe my plugin OCD is just ticking off with stuff like this and I'd like for things to be "perfect" with tools I buy.

Anyway, don't mind me too much, was just asking.
rgarner
KVRer

4 posts since 6 Dec, 2016

Postby rgarner; Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:37 pm Re: Thermionik demo - bug with Bitwig Studio

This looks like a different manifestation of the same issue I have with Logic Smart Controls. For my guitar patches, I like to map the smart controls to the gain, level, bass, mid, high and presence params. This then works nicely with the physical pots on my Nektar Panorama P4 and I can dial in a tone without touching a mouse or trackpad.

It doesn't seem to work with Gain. (In Logic you get the same problem by changing the plugin view from the Kazrog-branded UI to Logic's own set of sliders – the Gain slider won't work, only the Kazrog Gain dial when used with the mouse will work).

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog