Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Kclip 2 Pro as the only limiter ?

Boone777
KVRist

404 posts since 8 Aug, 2011

Postby Boone777; Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:49 pm Kclip 2 Pro as the only limiter ?

Do you guys use this thing on every tracks that need peak taming/saturation alone or do you put a regular limiter afterwards to catch some extra peaks when needed ?

Same question for master bus Kclip only ?

Or maybe 2 Kclip back to back ? That would probably start to sound too distorted.

I currently put a limiter afterwards on master bus but I'm curious to know about your experiences. I only finished a mix so far with lots of Kclips but I went a little too Kclip happy ended frying and squashing the mix a bit too much.
Win 7, 64Bit, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper, Steinberg MR816x
3ee
KVRAF

3500 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Postby 3ee; Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:04 pm Re: Kclip 2 Pro as the only limiter ?

I use it a every peaky element that needs taming...
I also use it on buses to control peaks (use your ears! , you'll know when you're doing a bit too much ;) )

also use it on the master - before - the final limiter (doing max 1-2 dBs on occasional peaks) so that it'll ease up the load into it.
Kazrog
KVRian

820 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 pm Re: Kclip 2 Pro as the only limiter ?

It's sometimes surprising to see what happens after you create something and throw it out into the wild. I'll be watching this thread - very interesting already.

Here's my 2 cents:

Basically, we all do terrible and nasty things to audio, but that can be great when used judiciously and artistically. Broadly:

• Clippers are cool because they can squash dynamic range without much of a sense of loss, at the price of potentially audible distortion (and, in many clippers besides KClip, audible aliasing.)
  • Limiters (really just high ratio compressors) are cool because they can squash dynamic range without audible distortion, at the price of audible pumping (it's very easy to get in trouble quickly with that.)

So, we've spent all this time as a species creating this perfect recording medium with huge dynamic range and an incredibly low noise floor, and now we want to reduce it, because it turns out that many forms of music simply don't want much in the way of dynamics. Ultimately, it's a balancing act between the distortion of a clipper and the pumping of a limiter. I myself tend to prefer clipping most of the time, which is why I made a clipper first, but limiting absolutely has its place.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog