Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
Kazrog
KVRian

867 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:08 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Michael L wrote:In your first post, you did not describe any advantages of a subscription. Do you have any in mind?

The advantage would be getting new plugins free of any additional charge. I've got a lot of new stuff planned for 2018, and the Complete Collection will continue to grow over time.

PS - if anyone here missed it, I started a new user survey on this very topic. The results have been interesting so far - keep in mind, that no matter what happens, I will always support permanent licenses. Also, I will never use iLok or Gobbler. 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Michael L
KVRAF

1740 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:08 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

^^^Oh, good. Perhaps one subscription for sims, and one for your other new tools?
"As the artist goes deeper into his own thing, he learns what works and then needs fewer tools."
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Michael L wrote:^^^Oh, good. Perhaps one subscription for sims, and one for your other new tools?

It's being considered. This is all still up in the air, but I do think that it's something that could be particularly cool for guitarists if done right.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
morelia
KVRAF

4195 posts since 15 May, 2002, from Brisbane , Australia

Postby morelia; Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

I do have one more thing to say on this. Please don't forget your license buying customers like Slate did.
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
pekbro
KVRian

1168 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

I'd like to subscribe to that Ran Crusher 7 you got there in that video... :o
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

morelia wrote:I do have one more thing to say on this. Please don't forget your license buying customers like Slate did.

One of the reasons I've waited this long to make any kind of decision, and to get feedback from my user base, is to make sure I don't repeat anyone else's mistakes, or do something that fundamentally alienates anyone.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Subscriptions weren't a very popular idea in my survey. I don't anticipate anything will change going forward, and there are many aspects of the subscription model that personally make me feel a bit squeamish.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
cturner
KVRist

134 posts since 7 Dec, 2009, from GWB

Postby cturner; Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Just FYI, it looks like Kush Audio is starting a self-managed subscription whose unstated goal seems to be the replacement of their current Gobbler service.
Burillo
KVRAF

2726 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

yeah, i don't mind subscription as long as i don't have to sign up for third party services to do it. i kind of bit the bullet and installed it anyway because Softube makes it extremely hard to locate the installers and i can't be arsed to do it every goddamn time, but if Kush makes their own sub service - i'm onboard. plus they're putting all Sly-Fi stuff in there as well.
From Russia with love
alexmidi
KVRer

9 posts since 17 Sep, 2003, from Siena, Toscana, Italy

Postby alexmidi; Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Rent to buy is the only subscription solution I can consider.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

I quietly added rent to own to Complete Collection 1. It's not something I've marketed at this point, but it's there if anyone is interested.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
pause6969
KVRer

7 posts since 21 Feb, 2004

Postby pause6969; Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Rent to own or no thank you.
pekbro
KVRian

1168 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:53 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

Just to try it out, I did the rent to own thing for Serum soon after it became available.
I have $39.96 left to pay apparently. I hardly noticed it at all tbh, no more impact on me
than paying for netflix. I actually thought I had a lot more to go...

Anyway, the "rent to own" is a fine, very low impact option and a great service for the
customer who wants or needs it IMHO.

-Cheers
SpiritOfMusic
KVRer

1 post since 4 Oct, 2015, from Worcestershire

Postby SpiritOfMusic; Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

I cannot see any advantage for a non-business customer to take on a software subscription. For so many reasons (as many others have already pointed out) it makes more sense for a private user to own the software. It is only the supplier who may benefit (and possibly survive) from running a subscription.

It really depends on the details of the scheme and the business model used. Cakewalk seem to have a good scheme at the moment, with sensible flexibility, the ability to own the software at a reasonable price and take on a subscription as and when required for regular update purposes.

As an example of another company running a software subscription service (although not in the audio plugin software business), Adobe have now decided to completely drop selling or updating the perpetual Lightroom licence for the new release. Big mistake, as many users (including myself) will not be spending any money on Adobe’s subscription products. There is little point, as even after paying them hundreds of pounds for several years, the user will be left with crippled software if they ever have to stop the subscription for whatever reason.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am Re: Subscription plans for audio plugins - what do you think?

... but Slate yelled at a camera and said it was the future of software! :lol:

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, and it cements that I'm already doing the right thing. I don't think subscription + niche market scales well, and it may not end well for the companies doing it now (all due respect to Slate and co. who put out some fantastic plugins.)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
PreviousNext

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog